Author Topic: Lebron upset with lack of depth/playmakers on Cavs  (Read 10655 times)

Lebron upset with lack of depth/playmakers on Cavs
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to have a Lebron bashing thread here, this was front page news on ESPN and it is unusual to have a player put quite this much pressure on a front office to make moves throughout the media. Interested to hear people's thoughts on that angle of that as well as what kind of moves they could realistically make.

After last night's loss Lebron said

"We're not better than last year," he said. "From a personnel standpoint."

Meanwhile, James listed other free agents who could have been had -- Raymond Felton, who signed with the Los Angeles Clippers, and Michael Beasley, who was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks -- as players who could have helped the Cavs make it through the regular season.

"It's great to have bodies," James said. "Obviously, in the playoffs, you go down to what, eight max? And if somebody gets in foul trouble, you go to nine. You're not playing back-to-backs. You have two days in between. You're able to lock in."

"It's like when you don't have bodies. It's tough," James said. "The f---ing grind of the regular season. We're a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as s---. It's me, [Kyrie Irving], [Kevin Love]. It's top-heavy."

"I'm not singling out anybody," James said. "I'm not. Yeah, we won [the championship], but f---, you know what, let's see if we can do something."

He said he has already voiced his thoughts about the roster to general manager David Griffin face-to-face, and realizing how it could look to call for a point guard with Felder and DeAndre Liggins on the roster, James said it would not be fair to expect either of those young players to fill such a significant role on a title-contending team.

"We need a f---ing playmaker," James said. "I'm not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn't say that."

"I don't know what we got to offer," James said. "I just know me, personally? I don't got no time to waste. I'll be 33 in the winter, and I ain't got time to waste. That's what I'm talking about.

"Listen, when I feel like physically and mentally, me personally, can't compete for a championship no more or I feel like I can't do it, then I won't have this problem. But until that happens, and it don't seem like no time soon ..."

James trailed off.

My take is that I am not entirely sure what Lebron wants the owners to do. The team has the highest salary in the league at 127 million (by comparison the Celtics team salary is 93 million). The team has also hamstrung itself at least a little bit by holding roster spots for people that seemed to have been friends with or players Lebron liked. Of the guys that have hurt their ability to have more bodies (as James mentioned) I don't think it is completely random that Mo Williams, Chris Anderson and James Jones were all former teammates of Lebron.

While I believe they are over the cap regardless it does seem like Lebron may have had influence on the team giving pretty big salaries to Jr Smith (16 million) and Tristan Thompson (14.5 million) that may have hurt their ability to retain someone like Delladova.

So this leaves perhaps 3 questions to me.

1) Short of veterans buyouts, what kind of trades can the Cavs really make?
2) Does Lebron owe some of his issues with the roster to himself having had such big influence on the roster over the last few seasons
3) If you were a teammate of Lebron and a young player like Mccrae, Felder, Liggens or just a rotation player like shumpert or Frye would this call for bodies bother you at all?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18542324/lebron-james-sounds-cleveland-cavaliers-loss

Re: Lebron upset with lack of depth/playmakers on Cavs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The problem for the Cavs is that they aren't the clear frontrunner for the 'ship, so that means they're not going to have first pick of ringchasers.

Second, why would a playmaker want to play on a team that already has Kyrie and LeBron? 

Guys know they're mostly going to defend, take spot-up shots, and rebound.  That's what they will be asked to do when they're playing with Kyrie and Bron.

It's easier to attract players when they can feel like even if they don't win a title, they're going to have fun and be involved.  That's what the Spurs and Warriors can offer.  Even the Clips can offer guys a chance to take a lot of shots on the second unit.

Aside from all that, the Cavs already turned a non-contributor in Dunleavy into Kyle Korver.  What's LeBron got to complain about?  The rest of the league groaned when the Cavs got Korver for basically nothing.

The Cavs leveraged future assets to get guy the last couple of years -- Mozgov, Shumpert, J.R., Frye, etc.  They can't just keep doing that forever.  It catches up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
got three stars , and he gets everything he wants

What a cry baby

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
The Cavs are more than welcome to a Bradley/Olynyk/Johnson/2 1sts swap for Kevin Love if they want more depth.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
I have to give him credit, at least he wants to keep competitive and make the most of his prime. He could have easily been content with winning those rings in South Beach and taking Cleveland out of their championship drought.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Lebron is the GM, so is he complaining to himself?

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He pretty much does sound like a baby.  Is there any other player in the league that could get away with saying this stuff?  Has there ever been a more entitled player?  He has a top two roster in the entire league and he wants a better team around him... I understand he'd like a small improvement but he looks ridiculous running his mouth to the media about this.  He expects a championship team around him every single year which is understandable but he shouldn't be so verbal to the media about it.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Well....he has stuck his big toe in the water this year against Warriors and Spurs .   He knows now it will be no cake walk to win another title.   

He see he can t wn it based on just his super human athletic ability .    Cavs can win but it will take 100 % effort by the WHOLE team to beat the west teams . 

Meaning LeBron is feeling less confident in his ability to take over a game where the other side is stacked with all star level players .

I'll be glade when he is gone.   

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Totally unprofessional of Lebron. I mean, he just threw his teammates, outside of Love and Kyrie, under the bus as well as the front office, and complained of the grind being too hard on him. Suck it up and be a true leader.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Totally unprofessional of Lebron. I mean, he just threw his teammates, outside of Love and Kyrie, under the bus as well as the front office, and complained of the grind being too hard on him. Suck it up and be a true leader.

Agreed. Could you imagine TB12 saying something like this?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Freakin GM lebron at it again. Suck it up lequeen

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 01:33:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Agreed. Could you imagine TB12 saying something like this?

Exactly. Its gotta be disheartening to his teammates to hear that. If he needs a rest here and there to reduce the grind on himself then sit out some practices and games here and there, I'm sure everyone in his team would agree to that.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
lol LeBron always has a keen eye on his legacy, that's for sure.

He's most likely upset because he couldn't turn it around against such a terrible team like the Pelicans.

Someday he's gonna go too far, and loose that Cavs team with his spoiled me, me, me attitude.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Also, if he cares about the Cavs future and the Cleveland fans, he should consider not trading away any more of their future, as that organization will be in shambles once he retires.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Never enough help

Maybe he should join the warriors
I trust Danny Ainge