Poll

If we could keep Smart, Bradley, Jae and Brown, would you trade #1 pick?

Yes
33 (37.5%)
No
55 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?  (Read 13480 times)

Re: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would not trade two of Brown and the Brooklyn picks.  And the only player I'm trading this year's Brooklyn pick for is Cousins.  Butler is a better version of players we already have.  Cousins is the missing piece.
pretty much my thinking on this.  if we're trading this year's pick, it'd better be for someone that fills a gaping hole on the roster, not add to what we're already deep in.

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2017, 10:05:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm a hard yes. Butler is beyond legit on both sides of the floor and got even better this season. A lineup of IT Butler and Horford is real tough along with our other pieces. I'd be in.

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3059
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like, as the poll shows, majority would not trade for Butler.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:33:46 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Looks like, as the polls show, majority would not trade for Butler.

Keeping our young core, trading the 2017 first and filler, and you guys say no?  I'm baffled.   Butler has been a top 10 player the first half of the season, certainly better than Paul George.  Butler, IT, Horford, Bradley, Crowder, Smart, KO and Amir certainly looks like a contender to me both this year and for the next few to come.

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Keeping our young core, trading the 2017 first and filler, and you guys say no?  I'm baffled.   Butler has been a top 10 player the first half of the season, certainly better than Paul George.  Butler, IT, Horford, Bradley, Crowder, Smart, KO and Amir certainly looks like a contender to me both this year and for the next few to come.
don't think of it as an anti-Butler vote.  think of it as not wanting to trade our top asset for someone that doesn't address our need for a starting Center--> a presence on D and on the Boards if not a primary scoring option to boot. 

C's need a quality center more than another guard even if that guard is Butler

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 11:28:29 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This franchise has had multiple opportunities for franchise players via the draft and whiffed in 1997 (though Billups developed into a great player for other teams), 2007 (though we made the best of it), 2014 (though Smart looks like a quality role player) and 2016 (though Jaylen may still develop into something special).   We're due to actually land a special player.   Considering it would likely take more than just that pick to land Premium Brand Ricky Davis, I'm definitely in the "no" camp.   Keep the pick and let's hope for the best.

You realize you just made a convincing case for trading the pick and then decided you prefer the opposite, right?
I don't see Butler as a franchise player.   Obviously the Bulls don't either.  I'd rather keep the pick and try to land a franchise player than buying high and overpaying for an overrated guy who isn't going to move the needle enough.

Whether Butler is a franchise player isn't the question though. The question, as you (quite correctly) set it up, is whether you'd rather have Butler vs. Billups. Or Butler vs. Jeff Green. Or Butler vs. Smart. Or Butler vs. Jaylen Brown.

Because most of the time, that's who you're getting with a top 3 lottery slot.

I understand the motive to keep it because...what if?

But we have to recognize that "what if" turns into "franchise player" about 1 out of 10 times you have that top lottery slot. Maybe less often, depending on how you define the term.
You bring up a good point.   But here's my perspective on each of those drafts.

1997 - Was seen as Duncan or bust.  We busted, but actually made the most of it.
2007 - Oden or Durant or bust.  We busted, but made the most of it.
2014 - Was seen as having several elite-level players.  Top 3 were thought to be excellent.  At least 5 others were thought to have star potential.  We ended up with Smart (one of the players thought to have star potential at the time).  He's been a disappointment, but still possibly developing.
2016 - Was seen as Simmons, to a lesser extent Ingram, or bust.   We busted, but Jaylen might prove everyone wrong

2017 - From what I'm reading, this isn't a 1 player draft.  It sounds like even if we end up with a pick in the 5-8 range, it's going to be a better prospect than anyone that was available to us last year.   Multiple players with star potential. 

Not all drafts are created equally.  This one is apparently exceptional.   I'd rather keep the pick and hope for the best (with pretty solid odds we'll get a great prospect) than give up this pick and other major assets for a guy who we know isn't superstar caliber. 

So yes, I'd rather have Butler over Jeff Green, Billups, Smart or Jaylen... 

But it sounds like there are some outstanding prospects available in this draft.

Fair enough, I'm pretty stoked about it too.

I did a run-through of the top "can't miss" prospects from good drafts a few days ago, and if you get one of those guys, your odds go up to about 50/50. (You can still get a Beasley or Oden, for example).

If there are 3-4 guys like that in this draft, the odds go way up.

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is a very special pick. 

Obviously #1 picks post-lotto are the most valuable picks...

But in terms of having a pick to trade in January, this Brooklyn pick has to be as valuable as a pick can get.  Consider the following:  This draft is widely being called excellent up top with multiple potential stars so even if it ends up dropping into the 5-8 range, you're still ending up with a great prospect.  Brooklyn currently has the worst record in the league.  The biggest thing to consider is that you can trade for this pick without screwing it over. 

Like for instance, you could trade a star for Philly's pick right now, but then you're at risk of improving Philly enough that you'll sabotage the pick over the next few months.  On the flip side, you're not sabotaging this pick if you trade a star to Boston for it. 

Owning another team's unprotected projected top pick in a excellent draft is a very powerful asset to have.

Boston has some of the best draft assets ever in these two back-to-back Brooklyn picks.  Don't give them away for anything less than a franchise player in his prime.

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Butler is not a top 10 NBA player. Paul George has also had the far better career so far if you look at a sample outside of 35 games where Butler is pretty much the only consistently playing option on his team.

If butler put on a celtic jersey, he would not continue producing the numbers he currently is because he just isnt going to have 28-30% usage on our team.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 12:02:40 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Butler is not a top 10 NBA player. Paul George has also had the far better career so far if you look at a sample outside of 35 games where Butler is pretty much the only consistently playing option on his team.

If butler put on a celtic jersey, he would not continue producing the numbers he currently is because he just isnt going to have 28-30% usage on our team.

In relation to the thread question. No I wouldn't trade the 2017 pick for Butler. Reason being as it is probably part of a package including more valuable players/assets. If its Brown plus a brooklyn pick or both Brooklyn picks like rumoured, big fat no thanks.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
I think the No. 1 pick is too much for Butler, but I'm open to the Celtics acquiring Butler for a lesser price.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3222
This is a very special pick. 

Obviously #1 picks post-lotto are the most valuable picks...

But in terms of having a pick to trade in January, this Brooklyn pick has to be as valuable as a pick can get.  Consider the following:  This draft is widely being called excellent up top with multiple potential stars so even if it ends up dropping into the 5-8 range, you're still ending up with a great prospect.  Brooklyn currently has the worst record in the league.  The biggest thing to consider is that you can trade for this pick without screwing it over. 

Like for instance, you could trade a star for Philly's pick right now, but then you're at risk of improving Philly enough that you'll sabotage the pick over the next few months.  On the flip side, you're not sabotaging this pick if you trade a star to Boston for it. 

Owning another team's unprotected projected top pick in a excellent draft is a very powerful asset to have.

Boston has some of the best draft assets ever in these two back-to-back Brooklyn picks.  Don't give them away for anything less than a franchise player in his prime.

Very well said. That is the major difference with our picks and others. The Sixers would have the same advantage if the Lakers pick was lower right now and not top 3 protected.

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
What's the point in overpaying in other assets when one of Bradley, Crowder and Smart is made redundant by the trade anyway?

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Through 1 quarter, Butler has 1 point, 2 assists and 2 rebounds in 12 minutes.

Bulls down 31-20 to the Thunder.

He played ill. I would not blame this loss on him.

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Most wouldn't trade the no.1 pick for an established star, Butler?

That's surprising. I would.

Not sure if "no.1" is before or after the lottery. I mean, it could be no.10 after the lottery.

Either way, I'd trade it for Butler or Cousins or even Griffin--with some contract extension assurances.

The NBA is a league of stars. Draft picks are hypotheticals. It's a crapshoot of 19yos. A Butler is probably stashed away somewhere in the 2nd round.

Besides, isn't Stevens a Butler guy?  :laugh:

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Most wouldn't trade the no.1 pick for an established star, Butler?

That's surprising. I would.

Not sure if "no.1" is before or after the lottery. I mean, it could be no.10 after the lottery.

Either way, I'd trade it for Butler or Cousins or even Griffin--with some contract extension assurances.

The NBA is a league of stars. Draft picks are hypotheticals. It's a crapshoot of 19yos. A Butler is probably stashed away somewhere in the 2nd round.

Besides, isn't Stevens a Butler guy?  :laugh:
no it couldnt.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.