Author Topic: Donatas Motiejunas UFA, should the celtics take a look?  (Read 4209 times)

Re: Donatas Motiejunas UFA, should the celtics take a look?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 01:14:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would definitely want to try to work something out with him. He might instantly be our best big. Maybe he could at least just play the rest of the year here
:o

He isn't in the same class as Horford.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He ONLY averaged 2.9 rebounds last year in 14.8 minutes.  He is not Whiteside in the rebounding department!!

I do like his ability to stretch the floor, but don't we already have that in Kelly?

Smitty77

At least he is able to grab 10 plus rebounds from time to time. He had an off year/injury year last season

Unless we are going for the All-Charmin team, I say no!!!  We are arguably ALREADY the softest team in the NBA!!! 

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can somebody explain to me the details of why the Nets can't sign him?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would definitely want to try to work something out with him. He might instantly be our best big. Maybe he could at least just play the rest of the year here

I love Motiejunas, but our best big? Horford is still on the team right?
Yup. That's a problem

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216

From what I've seen, it's because the Rockets matched their offer sheet (not just exercising right of first refusal, and then refusing, but going beyond that, matching the offer, and then changing their mind.  It puts DMo in a really crappy spot that he wouldn't have been in if they had just refused to match after his physical
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Horford is a Big? Why is he going for layups instead of dunks

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

From what I've seen, it's because the Rockets matched their offer sheet (not just exercising right of first refusal, and then refusing, but going beyond that, matching the offer, and then changing their mind.  It puts DMo in a really crappy spot that he wouldn't have been in if they had just refused to match after his physical

This seems like something that has to be addressed in the next CBA as it is about the most asinine thing I have ever heard of from a FA standpoint. I am all for the Nets being screwed (at least the next two years, but this is totally unfair.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Horford is a Big? Why is he going for missing layups instead of dunks

Ftfy. I would love to see more dunks, but am hoping he is at least getting in some 6-man-ball drill action in the meantime to work on his full speed lay-ups.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I think this creates a really awkward precedent.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/motiedo01.html

He's a 7 footer...  stats look kinda mediocre but he's only 26.

47.5% FG 61.2% FT 30.8 3Pt %
7.8 PPG and 4.0 RPG .3 Blocks in 19.0 MPG played

Is he an upgrade on... anybody that we have?

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This seems like something that has to be addressed in the next CBA as it is about the most asinine thing I have ever heard of from a FA standpoint. I am all for the Nets being screwed (at least the next two years, but this is totally unfair.

No, it's pretty reasonable.  The rule is in place so that players can't have side deals with teams they negotiate a contract with.  For instance "refuse to go to the physical, or fail it on purpose, so that you can come back to us."  By restricting him for resigning with that team for a year, it removes incentives of such malfeasance. 

The one thing they could, but probably won't, do is make the physical part of the matching terms.  In other words, if the Nets are willing to sign him without seeing what's under the hood, the Rockets have to be too.  Beyond that, I think everything worked out as it should have.