Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28355 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2016, 10:49:53 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If we had ended up with the #1 pick and gotten Simmons, and then summer league happened, and some Sixers fan came on here and suggested Brown was the better prospect, we'd be in a tsunami of flaming responses right now.

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Simmons is a generational physically gifted human.

He's got hall of fame potential. Jalen probably doesn't, although he's still very young.

But no, I would have much rather had Simmons over Jaylen, and so would every NBA GM.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2016, 01:01:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Simmons is a generational physically gifted human.

He's got hall of fame potential. Jalen probably doesn't, although he's still very young.

But no, I would have much rather had Simmons over Jaylen, and so would every NBA GM.

I concur.

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2016, 01:07:36 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
WOW!
So many people will be eating their words here once that drama queen one trick pony will be exposed and Jaylen will turn out to be a two way stud!
Great topic/post to come back to in a couple of years and see how perception will change...

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2016, 01:20:52 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Topics like this are why other fanbases and nba fans in general call us delusional. There's a reason Simmons was the #1 pick. True, his attitude and work ethic might not  be great, but at the end of the day, talent wins out. And he's got plenty of it, and plenty of high end potential too.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2016, 01:43:33 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Topics like this are why other fanbases and nba fans in general call us delusional. There's a reason Simmons was the #1 pick. True, his attitude and work ethic might not  be great, but at the end of the day, talent wins out. And he's got plenty of it, and plenty of high end potential too.
Having talent is one thing, using your talent for winning is another.
with 1 year of college and 1 Summer league  (I know small sample sizez but it's all we have) I see talent but I also see a long way to fulfill it... Simmons is far from being a Anthony Davis or a KAT...
Then from the OP point  I also see character issues coming into play... do you want a talented primadona headcase wearing green or a slightly less talented hardworking stable guy..?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:22:41 AM by drogbagarnett »

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2016, 02:56:53 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
WOW!
So many people will be eating their words here once that drama queen one trick pony will be exposed and Jaylen will turn out to be a two way stud!
Great topic/post to come back to in a couple of years and see how perception will change...

Zach Randolph
Lebron James
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Dwight Howard
Demarcus Cousins
Amare Stoudemire
Chris Bosh
Rasheed Wallace
Rajon Rondo

That's 10 guys, Just off the top of my head, who (at some point or other) have been criticised for their attitude or their work ethic - or in some cases both.

Everybody on that list has been top 5 at their position at some point in their careers, and (with the exception of Lebron James) there may not be a single guy on that list who has more raw talent then Simmons does.

I like Jaylen Brown a lot, but Simmons is a far superior prospect.  It's not even remotely close.  I don't think there's a single GM in this league who would trade Simmons (if they had him) for Brown - not even Danny.

Ingram maybe, but Simmons?  No way.  That guy might be the talented prospect to come in to the league since Lebron.  Whether he makes the most of that talent is a whole other question that only time can answer.

Given a chance to trade Jaylen Brown out in return for anybody on that list (in their prime) I hazard a guess that 8/10 people on this board would pull the trigger.

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2016, 05:41:07 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
just watched jaylen and simmons square off at city of palms tournament with wheeler facing montravede withsimmons,giles malik monk vs jaylen-montraverde had all 5 stars.
 jaylens team took the finals and brown was MVP-

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:44 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I would not be shocked if Brown ends up better than Simmons, especially considering basketball is 50% defense and my opinion is that Jaylen is much better on that end of the floor.

For right now, I am happy with Jaylen but would have been thrilled to get Simmons.

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 08:35:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
The Red Sox signed Bogaerts when he was 16 and gave him a 410,000 signing bonus.  You don't do that if you don't think the player has talent.  So I'm really confused by the statement.

I'm also confused why anyone would have any idea the type of attitude/work ethic Brown and Simmons will have.  Neither has played a game.  The only thing you really know is Simmons was the consensus #1 pick and Brown was not.  For the purposes of this discussion that is all anyone needs to know.

Where was I knocking Bogaerts.  I realize Bogaerts is good and a legit star. I said I'd take players like that any day. I'm the one who brought him up and said I'd take those guys here. There is meaning in words that are lacking over the internet I guess.

The Celtics obviously liked Brown.  So did I.  We drafted him. I wasn't that high on Simmons.  I liked him and understand why he was the consensus #1, but Brown was a guy I really liked.  Is that me saying Bogaerts and Brown aren't legit?  No........ lol.  I'm saying they are actually.

Simmons was a consensus #1 pick by who? Yeah talent wise and everything and had we been up there to take him. Things have a way or working out though. 

I don't think any of these guys are Brady.  Brady was a 6th round pick so what does that mean? Sometimes the consensus is wrong.

I like our core and what we are buildiing.  No reason to worry about what we didn't get here imo. Brown made sense.

I compared him to guys like Bogaerts and Betts and Bradley because him and Smart just fit into that young nucleus for us.  They aren't guys that were heralded as the #1 pick but are guys that were heralded as really good prospects. Bogaerts is a really top player. He was seen as that by a lot of people too including me when he was drafted.

I saw him as a guy who could be a top player.  I don't care where he was drafted. 

I compared Brown to Bogaerts. That's a good thing. I think he can be that level of talent. Marcus can be jackie Bradley in this scenario.

We have Horford and Isaiah.  The Sox have Papi and Pedroia.  Different but veteran cogs nonetheless.  We don't have David Price right now.  Good nucleus though.  We are still building and haven't limited ourselves at all.

Brock Holt and Jae is a nice comp. Both with Texas lineage, utility skills, clubhouse guys.. KO and Travis - both goofy, but showing potential.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Philly fans, I suppose.
Now that was funny.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Having talent is one thing, using talent for winning is another.
From 1 year college and SL (I know we shouldn't  based jugement one just that but it's all we have) I see talent but I also see a long way to fulfill it...
Then from the OP point  I also see caracter coming into play... do you want a talented primadona headcase wearing green or a slightly less talent hardworking stable guy..?
and what did Brown do that makes you think he is any different?  I mean unless the 1 of 6, 4 point, 7 turnover, 5 foul performance in the NCAA tournament stands out to you while playing on a team with another high level NBA prospect. 

That is where this thread loses all sense of reality.  Even if Simmons has a terrible work ethic, even if he doesn't have much experience to go from, etc.  Brown has no experience either and performed worse than Simmons in the limited experience they both have.  Brown may have a better work ethic or he may not, but statistically Simmons significantly out performed Brown and skill set and talent right now are clearly in Simmons favor.

All of this makes it easy to see why I seriously said this is challenging for the most ridiculous post ever on CelticsBlog.  It really is ridiculous on so many levels.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Apologies for randomly asking this in this thread, but is there any chance Jaylen could grow another inch? Or is he all done?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
In a word: No.

If I say I was glad that makes your statement.. uhmm false?

Thats pretty sad for an arrogant statement like yours  :( So easy to be proven wrong huhu.

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
this explains why simmons was the #1 pick. but it also seems to assume that being the #1 is proof of these assumptions. history speaks otherwise.

most #1s do very well, but not all. and a not insignificant number of #1s turn out to NOT be the best from the draft after a few years.

so, it is too early to decide this debate.

EDIT to add a few examples of #1 =/= best of the draft.

Noel (#6) > Bennett (#1)
Cousins (#5) > Wall (#1), debatable, but yes for some minds
Curry (#7) > Griffin (#1)
Westbrook (#4) > Rose, (#1), debatable again, but arguments can be made
Durant (#2) > Oden (#1)
Aldridge (#2) > Bargnani (#1)
Paul (#4) > Bogut (#1)
Pau Gasol (#3) > Kwame Brown (#1)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:09:32 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva