Author Topic: Abdel Nader (merged threads)  (Read 85956 times)

Re: Nader
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
i think its too early to judge at college he led his teams in steals  37 or 1.1 at iowa and at northern illinois 1.3 per -that i have read usually translates to good defense...

According to Pelton steal rates are one of the things that translates to success in the NBA in general, not just to good defense.

Re: Nader
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
i think its too early to judge at college he led his teams in steals  37 or 1.1 at iowa and at northern illinois 1.3 per -that i have read usually translates to good defense...

According to Pelton steal rates are one of the things that translates to success in the NBA in general, not just to good defense.

Also, it is not a per game stat that translates, but steal percentage.  His was 1.9% his last season, which while not terrible, is truly nothing special (wasn't even top 10 in his conference.)

Re: Abdel Nader (merged threads)
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere...but Abdel is now the #2 prospect in the G-League.

http://dleague.nba.com/prospect-watch/

I think he has a good chance of being a solid rotation player on a title contender.

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere...but Abdel is now the #2 prospect in the G-League.

I think he has a good chance of being a solid rotation player on a title contender.

That prospect list is... odd (to say the least).  Quite a few ex-NBA players in there (like Jordan Crawford and Nate Robinson) which makes me wonder how they define a "prospect" (and how they rank them, for that matter, since in no way is 32 year old Nate Robinson a top 25 prospect)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell

That prospect list is... odd (to say the least).  Quite a few ex-NBA players in there (like Jordan Crawford and Nate Robinson) which makes me wonder how they define a "prospect" (and how they rank them, for that matter, since in no way is 32 year old Nate Robinson a top 25 prospect)

I know...it is weird.

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfA454bXmM8

His February 2017 highlights.

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2017, 04:14:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

solid rotation player on a title contender seems like a pretty big stretch.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell

Really?

Top 9 player on a top 4 team...I mean...doesn't seem too out of this world.

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Really?

Top 9 player on a top 4 team...I mean...doesn't seem too out of this world.

It doesn't seem out of this world, but I think it depends on your definition of "good chance."  I wouldn't be shocked if he became a solid rotation player on a good team (as a tangent, I'd note that the difference between a top four team and a team in the 5-8 range tends to be the top 3-4 players on each squad, and not the 7-9 players), but I'd still say the greater likelihood is of a less auspicious outcome.

Still a fine player to have on the bench for a few seasons.

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2017, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hasn't James Young and Jordan Mickey also dominated the D-League and been considered great prospects  because of it? I think I will wait before I jump to any conclusions based on those D-League prospect lists.

« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
His turnover rate, in a league that doesn't prioritize defense, is worrisome.  Other than that I've been impressed.

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2017, 05:08:31 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Hasn't James Young and Jordan Mickey also dominated the D-League and been considered great prospects  because of it? I think I will wait before I jump to any conclusions based on those D-League prospect lists.
Two years ago, Im pretty sure an opposing D-league coach was quoted as saying that James Young was the best player hed ever seen in the d league over 8 years.

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Two years ago, Im pretty sure an opposing D-league coach was quoted as saying that James Young was the best player hed ever seen in the d league over 8 years.

Well, that coach is an idiot. Most of Young's production in the D-league came off of open 3's.

He was never well-rounded, just a good shooter. Anyone who watched him in Portland should be able to see that.

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Well, that coach is an idiot. Most of Young's production in the D-league came off of open 3's.

He was never well-rounded, just a good shooter. Anyone who watched him in Portland should be able to see that.

Yeah, I've wondered what happened to that coach.  Does he still have a job in professional basketball?

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Yeah, I've wondered what happened to that coach.  Does he still have a job in professional basketball?

Are you referring to Ainge pumping Young's tires? What do you expect, for him to say he's a scrub?

Opposing coaches routinely praised Young, I remembered hearing about it because I follow the D-league quite a bit. I even listen to the Claws radio broadcasts sometimes.

By D-league standards he was good, but our other prospects showed far more promise. Young was the classic D-league volume scorer. Major project.

Mickey/Nader/Rozier etc came in with much better-developed games. Whether or not that translates to long-term success remains to be seen.