Author Topic: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller  (Read 7668 times)

Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller
« on: June 29, 2016, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Bulpett:

According to league-related sources, Celts to give qualifying offers to Jared Sullinger & Tyler Zeller, making them restricted free agents.

As expected.

What's the chances of either of them accepting those offers and waiting until next year to hit free agency in the bigger cap where everyone will have money to throw around? It might make some sense for those two.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bulpett:

As expected.
honestly a bit concerned Zeller signs the QO
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:20:13 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Bulpett:

As expected.

I can't stand watching him play.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Bulpett:

As expected.

I can't stand watching him play.
oh, he wasnt always terrible to watch.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fMon9TQOo
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why has danny done this??? Sully and zeller cant be brought back for next season

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Why has danny done this??? Sully and zeller cant be brought back for next season
You can always rescind the qualifying offer before a player signs it and I doubt either guy is signing for one year.

Neither have a high cap hold, so if we do sign two max free agents we could bring them back and go above the salary cap to sign them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
You can always rescind the qualifying offer before a player signs it and I doubt either guy is signing for one year.

Neither have a high cap hold, so if we do sign two max free agents we could bring them back and go above the salary cap to sign them.

Good point.  I believe DA fully intends to bring Zeller back.  Good system player on a fair deal, and will fit as a backup with whatever big we bring in this offseason. 

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bulpett:

As expected.

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Bulpett:

As expected.

What's the chances of either of them accepting those offers and waiting until next year to hit free agency in the bigger cap where everyone will have money to throw around? It might make some sense for those two.

I could see Zeller doing it, but Sully would be stupid to sign it.  It'll be a very low salary (like $5 million, even though he qualifies as a "starter" and gets the QO for the 9th pick from his draft class), and he can get way more on the open market.  I'd expect someone to give him a long term contract over $10 million a year, and he has to take it
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Bulpett:

As expected.

I'm not.  It's not that expensive.  We'd be very lucky to get a backup center of even Zeller quality for the room exception of $2.9 million, and that'd likely include a player option for year 2.  One year at a little less than $3.7 million would be a bargain for a backup big.

Of course, him accepting it would not get me excited.  But it certainly doesn't concern me.

Any idea how much Sully's will be?  He qualifies as a starter, which means he gets the same QO as if he was taken 9th overall, but does the fact that Danny gave him 120% of the rookie scale play into that at all?
I'm bitter.

Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop

---

I thought at least one of them should get this offer, but I'm glad to see both of them got it. Not sure how much it'll affect cap space since I haven't done the math, but their cap hold (until they sign, and they can be signed after all our cap space is used up) is about $12 million (I'll have to recheck these numbers).

This being the case, I'd find it even harder to justify keeping Amir and Jerebko on board. It'll over-complicate things. But we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:09:48 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

Re: Celtics will make qualifying offer to Sullinger & Zeller
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Depending on the timing, I believe this could allow Ainge to land a big fish or two via cap space during free agency, and then use RFA rights to sign and trade either Zeller or Sully into another team's cap space, generating a trade exception to be used at a later date.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Depending on the timing, I believe this could allow Ainge to land a big fish or two via cap space during free agency, and then use RFA rights to sign and trade either Zeller or Sully into another team's cap space, generating a trade exception to be used at a later date.

The only thing that's for sure in all of this, in whatever way Zeller & Sully are handled, the most important part will be TIIMING above anything.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

The only thing that's for sure in all of this, in whatever way Zeller & Sully are handled, the most important part will be TIIMING above anything.
how so, if i may ask? what is it about the timing that is important? thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva