Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 351217 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28

In other words, some people, both before and after their 0-9 start, kept persisting that the Nets would pick up steam and hit 35 wins.  And they did pick up steam.  Recall that they were one blown Brook Lopez layup away from defeating Golden State on their home turf.  After they picked up a few wins, there was some panicking around here and knee-jerk reactions just like yours, calling the pick "worthless" and urging Danny to trade it away.

They beat Detroit last night (it became a close game in the 4th even after the Nets had led by 21 points in the 3rd quarter) because of an aberration of a 1st half, where they shot 9-13 from 3,  with Lopez hitting 4 of 5, and 71% shooting overall.  That's extremely unlikely to happen again.

* I disagree with your first point. No matter how you package it, the Nets were hot garbage consistently and throughout the season.  A couple of wins here and there doesn't negate that.
What was their longest win streak? 3 games?
Once Jarrett Jack went down, everyone and their brother knew the Nets were doomed.

* Your second point is way off the mark as well: The Nets were up big because Lin was in the game --once he left, that's when their offensive numbers started to slide.
They had 71 points in the first half, but only 38 in the second because Kilpatrick took over the pg role. I will concede though, that it's unlikely Lopez will continue shooting fifty percent from three, which is just retarded.

Now without Lin, this Nets team is toast in the long run.  We'll see just how much time he misses, the longer the better, cuz in this motion offense that Kenny Atkinson likes to run, Lin is their best player.  Btw, Sean Kilpatrick is a decent enough sparkplug off the bench, but he's the kind of guy the longer he's in the more he's 'exposed'.  He can be an absolute bricklayer some nights.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:44:14 AM by SuddenFame »

« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:31 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
I was bummed to hear that they beat Detroit.  I doubt they continue to be a 0.400 team (33 wins).  I feel like any pick in the top 5 is great considering the original trade, 6-10 OK, 11 or higher, disappointing (in no case worthless, diminishing yes but not worthless).

I have an idea to hedge our assets.  Trade the 2018 Nets pick back to them and maybe another future first round pick (even the Memphis one that is looking better all the time) and/or one of our current stashes plus Amir for Lopez.  Then they will likely be worse for the 2017 pick and can tank one more year and go for gold in 2018.  I think that is a fair trade for them.  They won't do better for Lopez than a sure fire early lottery pick.  We still get a really good pick in 2017 (without Lopez they are even worse) and Lopez makes us better right away.

Win-Win in my book.

I actually think they will still be bad in 2018 but you never know.  By cashing it in while helping the 2017 pick, we guarantee a certain level of value while giving up both some upside and some risk.  We can then flip Lopez at some point (hoping he doesn't get injured) or see how good we are with our twin towers of Lopez and Horford (who I think would be decent together though not championship level).

I'm ok with that trade, it seems pretty fair for both sides.  If Danny were to call Brooklyn with that proposal I'm pretty sure Kenny Atkinson and Sean Marks help Brook pack his suitcases and then drive him to Boston personally.  He's just the wrong type of player for that offensive scheme, but he would do wonders for Boston in the paint.

« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2043

In other words, some people, both before and after their 0-9 start, kept persisting that the Nets would pick up steam and hit 35 wins.  And they did pick up steam.  Recall that they were one blown Brook Lopez layup away from defeating Golden State on their home turf.  After they picked up a few wins, there was some panicking around here and knee-jerk reactions just like yours, calling the pick "worthless" and urging Danny to trade it away.

They beat Detroit last night (it became a close game in the 4th even after the Nets had led by 21 points in the 3rd quarter) because of an aberration of a 1st half, where they shot 9-13 from 3,  with Lopez hitting 4 of 5, and 71% shooting overall.  That's extremely unlikely to happen again.

* I disagree with your first point. No matter how you package it, the Nets were hot garbage consistently and throughout the season.  A couple of wins here and there doesn't negate that.
What was their longest win streak? 3 games?
Once Jarrett Jack went down, everyone and their brother knew the Nets were doomed.

* Your second point is way off the mark as well: The Nets were up big because Lin was in the game --once he left, that's when their offensive numbers started to slide.
They had 71 points in the first half, but only 38 in the second because Kilpatrick took over the pg role. I will concede though, that it's unlikely Lopez will continue shooting fifty percent from three, which is just retarded.

Now without Lin, this Nets team is toast in the long run.  We'll see just how much time he misses, the longer the better, cuz in this motion offense that Kenny Atkinson likes to run, Lin is their best player.  Btw, Sean Kilpatrick is a decent enough sparkplug off the bench, but he's the kind of guy the longer he's in the more he's 'exposed'.  He can be an absolute bricklayer some nights.

I'd say that the Nets were doomed with or without Jack.  They were still on pace for a win total in the low 20's even when he was healthy.  Lack of depth was one of the primary reasons many of us predicted the Nets to be among the worst teams in the league.  They simply weren't equipped to sustain an injury to a starting player, and we all know that injuries are inevitable in major sports.

As for your 2nd argument, Lin was in the game against the Bulls too.  They scored 88 points total.  Lin played well, but so did the entire team.  It had more to do with Lopez destroying Drummond (who played soft and without effort, probably why he didn't play much int he 2nd half) and everyone draining their 3's, going 9 for 13 in the first half from 3.  They went 4 for 14 in the 2nd half. 

Kilpatrick I agree was a great pickup.  He can score in a multitude of ways and has played very well since being added last season.

Re: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (2-3, #10 on 11/2)
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
Halftime. Charlotte shooting 37% from the field, 31% from 3 and 56% from the line. Only down by seven, which I guess is a good thing. Man, they look awful.

Mike

« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
Halftime. Charlotte shooting 37% from the field, 31% from 3 and 56% from the line. Only down by seven, which I guess is a good thing. Man, they look awful.

Mike

I think Charlotte is a deceptively bad team, imo.  They can be had on any given night by any team, no matter how bad they may be.

« Reply #320 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
As for your 2nd argument, Lin was in the game against the Bulls too.  They scored 88 points total.  Lin played well, but so did the entire team.  It had more to do with Lopez destroying Drummond (who played soft and without effort, probably why he didn't play much int he 2nd half) and everyone draining their 3's, going 9 for 13 in the first half from 3.  They went 4 for 14 in the 2nd half. 

Ok, I'll buy that. Solid point. 
The big takeaway from those numbers is: The Nets really are a streaky team this year.

« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
Nets lost. Thank goodness. Charlotte doesnt look good at all man.
#JKJB

« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
Game. Luckily, Charlotte did enough to squeeze out this win. They're just a pretty streaky team to begin with.

I think once the losses start piling up the Nets will stop playing as hard and being in so many close games.

« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
I honestly think the Nets are going to exaccerbate and underlying anxiety disorder I dont think I have. It seems like its all nail biters.
#JKJB

« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I honestly think the Nets are going to exaccerbate and underlying anxiety disorder I dont think I have. It seems like its all nail biters.

TP to ease your anxiety lol
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
Next game for them is going to be a challenge (for them to lose), at home against Minnesota on Tuesday. Hopefully Towns and Wiggins take it to them.

After that, five straight road games: NYK, Phoenix, LAC, LAL and Oklahoma City. Wow, there are some really crappy teams in the NBA this year. That Phoenix game could be an issue.

Mike

« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lin being out at least two weeks is a great sign.  Hopefully this means they will be riddled with injuries like last year.

« Reply #327 on: November 05, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
The Nets have quietly managed to put together a collection of talented prospects despite us stealing their own picks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson looks great so far.

Isaiah Whitehead is showing some great flashes of potential lately. They paid a record amount of money to get the pick they used on Whitehead.

Caris Levert will be ready to play soon and he was projected as a lottery pick before his injuries, he could end up being a steal for them.

Chris McCullough was also a projected lottery talent before his knee injury.

It also sounds like they will sign Archie Goodwin who showed some great flashes of potential in Phoenix before he requested a trade for lack of playing time and they released him.

I'm quite impressed with the job they've done since replacing Billy King.

« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Lin being out at least two weeks is a great sign.  Hopefully this means they will be riddled with injuries like last year.

Yeah aside from their best 2 players having perfect health all year  and joe Johnson staying healthy at 35 till they cut him loose they really got screwed!

« Reply #329 on: November 05, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
The Nets have quietly managed to put together a collection of talented prospects despite us stealing their own picks.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson looks great so far.

Isaiah Whitehead is showing some great flashes of potential lately. They paid a record amount of money to get the pick they used on Whitehead.

Caris Levert will be ready to play soon and he was projected as a lottery pick before his injuries, he could end up being a steal for them.

Chris McCullough was also a projected lottery talent before his knee injury.

It also sounds like they will sign Archie Goodwin who showed some great flashes of potential in Phoenix before he requested a trade for lack of playing time and they released him.

I'm quite impressed with the job they've done since replacing Billy King.
this is pretty much the definition of polishing a turd