Author Topic: The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics  (Read 4702 times)

Re: The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 11:36:36 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I like the idea of trading 13, 16, 23, and 35 for 8 (I'd include 31 if need be) but as we learned from last years draft, it probably isn't happening.

So this is an issue that I've thought a lot about over the past year (Turns out that there actually are a few advantages to having no life.). I've decided that what happened last year was simply the result of timing and perceived need. In other words, every draft is different. Given the rumors we've heard about what DA was offering for #10, it's more about Michael Jordan's craziness for Kaminsky and less about the value of the pick. We were clearly overpaying.

13 and 16 alone is likely a fair trade, but I'd throw in a couple of others if they were needed to get the job done. Unless, of course, a bunch of GMs at 8,9 and 10 fall in love with a player, but there are a couple of options in that range that we could use (Poeltl, Chriss, Murray, Brown and Skal all have the possibility of being available at 8-10).

Mike

It definitely was an overpay for the pick but the sliding Winslow would have been worth it, hence why Miami rejected the same offer. It doesn't mean that moving up will be as expensive this time round.

I too have had far too much time to think about the draft and I've come to a few conclusions on some of the teams in the lower lottery:

1) Toronto have the 8th pick. If they can bring back DeRozan and Biyombo they have 12 guaranteed contracts. So I don't see they trading down for a plethora of picks. I do see them trying to package the 8th pick and Ross for an upgrade at the 4 spot. If they see Olynyk as a 4 I'd like to work out a package there. Other options could be Mirotic or Gallinari, that later one being a very interesting proposal.

2) Milwaukee are a team that could be tempted into trading down. They have a need of shooters and depth on the wing and there are a good few in the middle of the first round. Of course they might not want to get younger.

3) As things stand at the moment Denver are primed to trump us in any move up the draft. With 15 and 19 they can easily beat out our 16 and 23 plus they have some little pieces to add in just like us. As I said above the Gallinari, 15 and 19 for Ross and 8 trade could be perfect for both sides. Which would leave us with 2nd pickings in the trade market.

Basically I don't think it's going to be easy trading up this year but for much more valid reasons than last year

Re: The Best Possible Draft Scenario for the Celtics
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
I'm targeting #8 or #10. I can never tell what Sacramento will do.

Mike