Author Topic: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.  (Read 47768 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Buddy Hield is the guy.
I believe we're going to trade down to #4, the Suns will take Bender, we will take Hield with #4.
We'll get #13 from the Suns for the trade and may even be able to move into the top 10 if we can combine the #16 and #13 somehow. (or just draft both).

Why do I think Hield is our guy?
The main reason for me taking Hield is purely and simply his scoring ability. This guy doesn't just shoot threes- he can finish around the basket with incredible athleticism and agility. He can split defenders like Harden and finish with his left hand.
His work ethic (shoots 6 hours a day, every day during the season) is utterly inspiring- he's a born leader like Marcus Smart but can lead us on the offensive end.

Buddy Hield has the overall offensive game to become the best shooting guard in the NBA combined with the attitude that the truly great NBA players have like Kobe and MJ. This isn't an exaggeration at all. To get as good as he has gotten in such a short period of time and shoot the three ball night in and night out is the sign of greatness.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with Smart and Bradley because one of them (probably Bradley) will go to a contender so Buddy can start by his sophomore year.

This guy is going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA and he's only getting better.
He's also possibly going to rival Klay Thompson as the best three point shooting SG in the NBA but with a better dribble/drive game.

Buddy Hield is the perfect modern day shooting guard. There's a very good chance that Buddy Hield is actually going to be better than Klay Thompson one day, because you know he's going to become an excellent defender with his IQ and work ethic.
When the three point is as valuable as it is now in the NBA, Hield has the size, footwork, pure talent and confidence, with just enough athleticism to be 'quick'..... combined with an elite Kobe Bryant level work ethic.

The Celtics will pick Buddy Hield with #3

For your own sake, watch this and remind yourself of this kids gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySjhxRYjvM
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I had mentioned this possibility with Phoenix also, but not for just 4 and 13...thought we'd have to  do 3 and 16 for 4 and 13

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
hold your horses there.

better than Klay?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I had mentioned this possibility with Phoenix also, but not for just 4 and 13...thought we'd have to  do 3 and 16 for 4 and 13

Moving up from 4 to 3 is worth way more than moving up from 16 to 13.  3+23 for 4+13 is more likely
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
(1) I really just don't see the point of trading down a slot to pick up another first that we won't be able to use or trade for anything meaningful

(2) To me Hield's best case scenario is something along the lines of a J.R. Smith / Wes Matthews type shooting guard.  That's pretty nice, and the Celts could use a guy like that, but not the sort of player who will take the Celts to another level.

I'm all in on trading for Butler or somebody else established, then if that fails going after Okafor, then if that falls through, taking a swing on Bender. 

Ending up with a seven footer who might be another Kirilenko or Kukoc type guy, in today's league, would not be such a bad Plan C.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
(1) I really just don't see the point of trading down a slot to pick up another first that we won't be able to use or trade for anything meaningful

(2) To me Hield's best case scenario is something along the lines of a J.R. Smith / Wes Matthews type shooting guard.  That's pretty nice, and the Celts could use a guy like that, but not the sort of player who will take the Celts to another level.

I'm all in on trading for Butler or somebody else established, then if that fails going after Okafor, then if that falls through, taking a swing on Bender. 

Ending up with a seven footer who might be another Kirilenko or Kukoc type guy, in today's league, would not be such a bad Plan C.

Hield is going to be better than JR Smith and Wes Mathews. He's going to be something like Klay Thompson and possibly even better.

I too would prefer a trade for Butler and wouldn't mind an Okafur trade. I like Bender at #4 but if we keep the pick, Buddy is my guy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Buddy Hield is the guy.
I believe we're going to trade down to #4, the Suns will take Bender, we will take Hield with #4.
We'll get #13 from the Suns for the trade and may even be able to move into the top 10 if we can combine the #16 and #13 somehow. (or just draft both).

Why do I think Hield is our guy?
The main reason for me taking Hield is purely and simply his scoring ability. This guy doesn't just shoot threes- he can finish around the basket with incredible athleticism and agility. He can split defenders like Harden and finish with his left hand.[/b]
His work ethic (shoots 6 hours a day, every day during the season) is utterly inspiring- he's a born leader like Marcus Smart but can lead us on the offensive end.

Buddy Hield has the overall offensive game to become the best shooting guard in the NBA combined with the attitude that the truly great NBA players have like Kobe and MJ. This isn't an exaggeration at all. To get as good as he has gotten in such a short period of time and shoot the three ball night in and night out is the sign of greatness.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with Smart and Bradley because one of them (probably Bradley) will go to a contender so Buddy can start by his sophomore year.

This guy is going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA and he's only getting better.
He's also possibly going to rival Klay Thompson as the best three point shooting SG in the NBA but with a better dribble/drive game.

Buddy Hield is the perfect modern day shooting guard. There's a very good chance that Buddy Hield is actually going to be better than Klay Thompson one day, because you know he's going to become an excellent defender with his IQ and work ethic.
When the three point is as valuable as it is now in the NBA, Hield has the size, footwork, pure talent and confidence, with just enough athleticism to be 'quick'..... combined with an elite Kobe Bryant level work ethic.

The Celtics will pick Buddy Hield with #3

For your own sake, watch this and remind yourself of this kids gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lySjhxRYjvM
good to read the optimism, but i am not in agreement on hield. i am not saying he stinks or is sucky or suckily stinks or even stinky sucky.  ;D

rather, i know he can shoot, but the rest of his offense, and defense, is not as rave-worthy as you point out. or, at least i have not seen anything yet to say he is that good.

he ball handling is not impressive, not terrible though.

his passing is pedestrian, not bad.

his decisions on driving to the basket often leaves him playing 1 on 2/3 basketball.

he clearly does NOT have a great first step, but he does have a very good step-back jumper. which he will need since he does NOT have a great first step.

on defense, he will probably improve, but i didnt see anything that made me go "wow."

in short, there are better players in the draft at #4 i think. i would be happy with hield at #6 or more, but not at #s 3, 4, or 5.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
What if we trade Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, #3 pick for PF-Corey Jefferson and the #4 pick and draft Buddy Heild 👍
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:07:49 AM by PaulP34 »

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Hield is going to be better than JR Smith and Wes Mathews. He's going to be something like Klay Thompson and possibly even better.

I too would prefer a trade for Butler and wouldn't mind an Okafur trade. I like Bender at #4 but if we keep the pick, Buddy is my guy.

Klay Thompson is arguably the second best shooter of all time; that's a pretty unrealistic expectation.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

OK, so I'm not really well versed in high level physics or mechanical science or whatever, but can you give me a basic idea of how your time machine works?  I'm really curious. 

Also, when are you going to officially announce your discovery to the world?  Or is the government already on you to keep it hush hush?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Let's say this did happen, would you then trade Bradley to Chicago for something like Portis and Dunleavy (salary filler)? If Chicago isn't wanting to trade Butler yet, then Bradley would make some sense for them if they shifted Butler to the three.

Then if we could trade our two late lottery picks up high enough for Poeltl, that'd leave us with a roster looking like:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Smart, Hield, Hunter
SF: Crowder, JJ, Young
PF: Portis, Amir, Mickey,
C: Poeltl, KO,

That's a pretty good young core AND playoff team fighting for home court advantage next year.

Of course, as others have said, I'd still rather trade the pick for a Butler-type first. If they really covet Dunn and want to go that route with a rebuild, then I think a Butler for 3, Bradley/Crowder, and Rozier type deal definitely makes a lot of sense for both sides and will definitely be discussed. And I think the Okafor deal is also a back-up option if everything else fails that is kind of just ready to happen if nothing else happens.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Not meaningful? Huh? First of all, letting PHO move from 4 to 3 would likely mean a swap of 23 for 13. And having 16 and 13 then allows Danny to trade up to #10 or so. That's a pretty blasted meaningful draft pick.

Talent evaluation is not your strong suit.

Matthews we can compare easily since both he and Hield came out of college at roughly the same age and are roughly the same size. Hield is clearly a better physical prospect but let's look at their college production their senior year. In his last year of college Matthews averaged 18ppg, shooting 51.7% from 2, 37% from 3 and a TS of 60%. Hield averaged 25ppg, 55% from 2, 45% from 3 and a TS of 66%. In a nutshell Hield is a far, far better player at this stage of his career than Matthews was. There is no evidence whatsoever that getting to Matthews level would be Hield's "best case. In fact the opposite is true. Matthews is Hield's floor, not ceiling.

As for comparing him with JR Smith, that's a bit odd. Beyond being roughly the same size there's nothing to compare. JR Smith came out of High School and wasn't known as a shooter but as a raw athlete. And while Smith has become quite a decent shooter in his career, none of his stats come anywhere close to Hield's. Smith is also known as a knucklehead with an exceptionally low basketball IQ while Hield is known as a good character guy who is a leader and a gym rat.

Someone will impress in the pre-draft workouts but right now I'm with the OP - Hield is my binkie for the #3 pick. The guy has gotten better every year and can do the one thing that the Cs really need - putting the ball in the basket consistently. He also seems to be a good character guy. I also don't buy this "22 year olds can't develop into superstars" line of rhetoric. It's all a matter of their development at their age and it's impossible to deny that Hield produced at an exceptionally high - almost impossibly high - level last year for a major college program.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

OK, so I'm not really well versed in high level physics or mechanical science or whatever, but can you give me a basic idea of how your time machine works?  I'm really curious. 

Also, when are you going to officially announce your discovery to the world?  Or is the government already on you to keep it hush hush?

Are the insults necessary? I'll fix it for you to dry your tears. Or would you prefer the time machine?

To me, Hield is going to be better than JR Smith and Wes Mathews. He's going to be something like Klay Thompson and possibly even better.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Not meaningful? Huh? First of all, letting PHO move from 4 to 3 would likely mean a swap of 23 for 13. And having 16 and 13 then allows Danny to trade up to #10 or so. That's a pretty blasted meaningful draft pick.

Yeah, it'll be pretty blasted meaningful when the guy we draft is sitting on the bench next to the other 6 rookies on the team.

Oh but we could trade it, right?  Yes, we learned last year that teams are just lining up to give us value for all of our extra first rounders.

Quote from: Granath

Talent evaluation is not your strong suit.

Oh burn!  Well, it's not my day job or anything.  Is it yours, per chance?  I tend to defer to the opinions of people who seem more versed in this than me.

Those people seem to uniformly think Hield is high level role player material, and unlikely to be more.

Quote from: Granath
Matthews we can compare easily since both he and Hield came out of college at roughly the same age and are roughly the same size. Hield is clearly a better physical prospect but let's look at their college production their senior year. In his last year of college Matthews averaged 18ppg, shooting 51.7% from 2, 37% from 3 and a TS of 60%. Hield averaged 25ppg, 55% from 2, 45% from 3 and a TS of 66%. In a nutshell Hield is a far, far better player at this stage of his career than Matthews was. There is no evidence whatsoever that getting to Matthews level would be Hield's "best case. In fact the opposite is true. Matthews is Hield's floor, not ceiling.

As for comparing him with JR Smith, that's a bit odd. Beyond being roughly the same size there's nothing to compare. JR Smith came out of High School and wasn't known as a shooter but as a raw athlete. And while Smith has become quite a decent shooter in his career, none of his stats come anywhere close to Hield's. Smith is also known as a knucklehead with an exceptionally low basketball IQ while Hield is known as a good character guy who is a leader and a gym rat.

Someone will impress in the pre-draft workouts but right now I'm with the OP - Hield is my binkie for the #3 pick. The guy has gotten better every year and can do the one thing that the Cs really need - putting the ball in the basket consistently. He also seems to be a good character guy. I also don't buy this "22 year olds can't develop into superstars" line of rhetoric. It's all a matter of their development at their age and it's impossible to deny that Hield produced at an exceptionally high - almost impossibly high - level last year for a major college program.

Eh, I think you overstate the differences in Matthew's production.  There are such huge differences in college between different teams and different conferences.  The bottom line for me is that they were both four year guys who were very productive in their final year.

Generally, if you want to look up guys who dominated as scorers in their fourth year of college, you'l  see a long list of guys who never became more than role players in the NBA.  Lots of guys who tore up the D-League and overseas.

I bring up J.R. because I see in Hield a similar willingness to let fly from deep and go on insane scoring tears.  But like J.R., Hield doesn't have a lot of game getting to the basket or creating for others. 

But Hield seems to have a much better head on his shoulders so I'd expect him to have an easier time finding success in a team context, which is where I bring up Wes Matthews again.

Anyway, don't just take my word for it, by any means.  Matthews is a comparison I heard made by Danny Chau, I believe.  The prevailing opinion on Hield by people who have more experience and expertise analyzing draft prospects that I've seen is that Hield is likely to provide shooting at the next level, but he has a lot of work to do still on most of the other parts of his game.  But Hield does reportedly have an excellent work ethic, so betting on him to continue doing whatever he can to maximize his abilities doesn't seem outrageous.

I like Hield just fine.  I just think the Celts need to aim higher with this pick.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Klay Thompson is arguably the second best shooter of all time; that's a pretty unrealistic expectation.

He's a great shooter, so is Buddy Hield.
Klay Thompson shot 39.8% in his Junior year at Washington State over 246 attempts.
Hield shot 45.7% over 322 attempts.
50/45/88 overall is a guy that's going to be a great NBA shooter.