Author Topic: Why is everyone in love with Okafor?  (Read 11319 times)

Re: Why is everyone in love with Okafor?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 09:26:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
why would they trade him for a pick?   they won't.  so then it's going to cost Smart too.  which ainge isn't doing.

Actually he might.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Because PPG is an overrated stat.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
We r not trading for okafor. That would not be a smart move

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

Danny already tried to get him during the season... He must think that it is a smart move.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

Danny already tried to get him during the season... He must think that it "is" smart.

what'd he offer?   a bag of balls?  now he's going to give smart and the third pick?   no chance in hell.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1501

Danny already tried to get him during the season... He must think that it "is" smart.

what'd he offer?   a bag of balls?  now he's going to give smart and the third pick?   no chance in hell.

I would imagine the Brooklyn pick and a player, Maybe AB? Hopefully not Smart..
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Because he can actually score inside and he's huge. The combination of skill and size he's got is tremendous.

Now if he could only rebound and defend.

Kids young.  No reason to believe he can't.

Coach K was happy to ride him to a NCAA title.  I believe he can be a big part of a really good team.

Except that rebounding typically gets worse with age, not better.

So I guess Pau Gasol got younger when he went to the Bulls?

I guess Gerald Wallace didn't have his best rebounding season by far at age 27.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With Embiid returning, Saric coming over, and Simmons likely stepping in, there is simply not enough room for everybody. Okafor probably makes the most sense in a trade (Saric and Embiid not enough value, they seem to like Noel's defense, and obviously keeping Simmons).

I definitely think the #3 pick alone would be enough to get a deal done. If not, give them their #31 pick back and call it a day. Okafor is good, but showed he does have flaws (ie, he is not Towns). After players work out, one of them will likely propel himself to the definite third best prospect. That is who Philly will want.

Having Okafor as their third string center will only kill his value.

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 11:40:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't get It either really.

I mean I do get why people are high on him:

* He's only 19 years old
* He's almost 7 feet tall with a 7'5" wingspan
* He's already an outstanding post scorer
* His college game suggested he had high basketball IQ

But after a year in the NBA I just feel that he has a LOT of limitations / red flags that make me very hesitant to take a risk on him, such as:

* Conditioning issues (don't want to go through that again)
* Weak rebounding numbers
* Questionable off-court behaviour
* Terrible defence
* Poor lateral mobility
* Lack of offensive outside of the paint
* Weak court feel (poor assist-to-turnover ratio)

Okafor was supposed to be an elite offensive talent, yet he only managed 17 PPG on what was by far the worst team in the NBA.  Wiggins was seen as a pretty raw prospect and yet h averaged the same in his rookie year on a team with much more offensive talent.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm going to answer in the form of a question.....what's so great about Buddy Hield? What's so great about Amir Johnson or Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk? Or Jordan Mickey? Or Dragan Bender?

And why don't I answer in the form of another question.  Why do we want to trade for a 5 with an offensive skillset from the 70's and no defense to play in today's modern NBA?

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't get It either really.

I mean I do get why people are high on him:

* He's only 19 years old
* He's almost 7 feet tall with a 7'5" wingspan
* He's already an outstanding post scorer
* His college game suggested he had high basketball IQ

But after a year in the NBA I just feel that he has a LOT of limitations / red flags that make me very hesitant to take a risk on him, such as:

* Conditioning issues (don't want to go through that again)
* Weak rebounding numbers
* Questionable off-court behaviour
* Terrible defence
* Poor lateral mobility
* Lack of offensive outside of the paint
* Weak court feel (poor assist-to-turnover ratio)

Okafor was supposed to be an elite offensive talent, yet he only managed 17 PPG on what was by far the worst team in the NBA.  Wiggins was seen as a pretty raw prospect and yet h averaged the same in his rookie year on a team with much more offensive talent.

Okafor is a big man and he was surrounded by horrible shooters who couldn't create for anybody even themselves.  He didn't have an actual point guard passing him the ball till halfway through the season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 11:54:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
No, not everyone is in love with Okafor. Some people love him. Some people don't.

Poorly chosen thread subject.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 12:12:46 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Well, people obsess about him here because he's been a highly touted prospect since well before he entered the NBA. For a franchise obsessed with finding the next "star" a guy who is as young as Okafor is and as highly touted as he was, while also having a fair chance to be available, is going to be a big target.

Personally I think that's a wrong headed approach though. Okafor could've been a much more impactful player 25 years ago than he will be in the next decade. His game just doesn't mesh with the direction of the NBA, and he just has too many limitations and flaws to be a superstar in a game that is becoming increasingly dependent on versatility.

Okafor is an ELITE low post scorer. That skill will always have value, and he'll be able to make a career out of it, so I'm not saying he's terrible or anything. But he's just so limited in every other facet of his game I can't see him ever developing into some kind of superstar. While he is great on the block, he has very limited range on his jumper, while also being just outright awful on defense. He'll NEVER be able to even switch onto today's 4's without getting burnt. Therefore, you'll need to find a 4 who can not only shoot the 3 but can also defend the paint and the perimeter, while also being able to be effective with limited touches on offense. Not a whole lot of guys around the league who can do all that. Having Okafor on your team leaves you highly susceptible to bad match-ups

More than anything though the problem with Okafor is that, on top of being a poor defender and below average rebounder, you can only get the most out of his elite skill by basically running your offense around ISO post ups for him. Now this is a problem, because not only does it bog down your offense as a whole but Okafor has not shown an ability to run an offense through the post ala Greg Monroe. If your gonna feed shots to a post up big like him, that guy really needs to be an elite passer to make it work, and Okafor just isn't that. He can make an obvious, easy pass but far too often he takes on a double team and tries to score instead of finding the open man. If he doesn't have the ball in his hands on the post, he's basically useless.

Even if your an elite inside scorer, the lack of high level passing and rebounding skills combined with his putrid defense, lack of any versatility and questionable personality is going to keep him from reaching that magical "star" level. To me, I probably wouldn't trade for him even if it was an "underpay" simply because he requires designing your whole offense and defense around covering his weaknesses and highlighting his strengths at the expense of the other players and TBH, he's just not good enough to justify doing that. Now or in the future.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 12:52:20 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
why wouldn't the sixers trade noel or embiid rather than the best one of the bunch in okafur?    i get they both play center but positions are so fluid.  i'd keep okafur, simmons and noel out of those four.   

didn't ainge offer an insulting package for okafur prior to the deadline?   he isn't going to give up a core player and the third pick for a player as one sided as okafur.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 02:55:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm going to answer in the form of a question.....what's so great about Buddy Hield? What's so great about Amir Johnson or Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk? Or Jordan Mickey? Or Dragan Bender?

We need a perimeter shooter, we need a volume scorer, and Celtics fans are always complaining about our lack of size at the SG spot.

* Hield averaged 25 PPG in college this season on a ridiculous 1.54 Points Per FGA
* Hield shot 50% / 46% / 88% shooting and averaged four 3PT made per game
* Hield has Curry-like range, frequently hitting shots way beyond the college three
* Hield is 6'5" and 200+ pounds with a 6'9" wingspan with good athleticism

Hield is also one of the highest 'intangibles' guys in the draft.  He has a reputation for being a hard worker, for having an incredibly high motor, for being incredibly clutch, and for having an extremely high desire to win. 

He is the purest definition of a 'Celtic' and he fills a desperate need.