Author Topic: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston  (Read 33598 times)

Re: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2016, 11:48:53 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Love isn't leaving Cleveland if he keeps producing this offseason and I think he will.  Plus, I'd honestly rather have Simmons or Ingram, although we certainly can't count on that. 

I really hope Bradley, KO, Dallas, Bos 16, Bos 18 and 76ers 2nd rounder this year is enough for Butler.  KO and not drafting Zizic would hurt, but Danny's probably not drafting Zizic anyway

Yeah Danny definitely won't pick Zizic. He's not the type to take a foreigner
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.

Newsflash: No one needs to have their perceptions corrected by someone who once gushed about the basketball potential of Anthony Bennett.

Mike

Dont forget Stauskas and Ben Mclemore
Both of which had better regular seasons than Rozier.  So whatevs.

Since when is everyone so defensive of non-Celtics?  I thought the premise was that I hated everyone on the Celtics and loved anyone who didn't wear the jersey.  This thread is confusing.  Wait to see if we actually go all-in on trading the a package built around Smart, Crowder and the Brooklyn pick before acting like I'm hating on Jimmy Butler by calling him a bit overrated.  Too soon, guys.  Too soon.   If Butler ends up on the Celtics, then you can start defending him against the meanie-pants army who doesn't think he's a superstar.  But until then, relax.  He's probably not ending up here.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:52:47 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis.

Thank you for the numbers.  But don't forget...his defense is stellar and his motor is unquestioned.

I also wouldn't overpay...but he would be dynamite here.

Stating that his defense is stellar is quite an overstatement IMHO.  He had the 11th best DRPM at his POSITION.  He had the 125th best DRPM overall!!!!1

Smitty77

He had a Defensive rating of 106. 

Ricky Davis had a defensive rating of 105 his first season in Boston.

Basically the same exact player.

Lol... Come on guys.  I'm sure Jimmy Butler is a little bit better than prime Ricky Davis.  First of all, he hangs out with Mark Wahlberg according to this article:  http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/jimmy-butler-collosal-ego-hangs-with-mark-wahlberg/301183

I hear Ricky Davis only hung out with Donnie Wahlberg. 

Also, Jimmy Butler has 20 pounds on prime Davis.

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2016, 12:58:11 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis.

Jimmy Butler for a 50-win Bulls team: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals, 46.2%/37.8%/83.4%

Ricky Davis Career stats:  13.5 points, 3.3 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal 45%/36%/78% in 29.8mpg

Jimmy Butler Career stats:  13.6 points, 2.6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 45%/33%/81% in 31.2mpg

Dude cmon now. You know you're just using career stats to have a (lame) reason to not want butler. You know jimmy didn't get a ton of time in his earlier years, and was only getting PT for his defense, right?
Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role. 

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other.  Did you guys watch a ton of Bulls games this year?  I just know what I've read about him.  I'm fine with bringing him in, but I wouldn't overpay for him. 

As a 23 year old Ricky Davis put up Butler-esque stats of 20.6 points, 5.5 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 steals... It was his 5th season.  He was an effective player for a number of years.

This was Butler's 5th season.  The 26 year old has game.  Davis was a bit of a headcase (though I've heard Butler has a little of that in him as well) and Butler is widely believed to be a better defensive player (though playing for a team with an elite defensive identity impacted that a bit).   I'm not saying Davis was better than Butler.  I'm just saying that we've seen guys put up big stats for losers in the past.   I wouldn't mind trading for Butler if the price is right.  I wouldn't hold my breathe on him being the franchise player the team needs.
Your problem is instead of reading articles written about Butler from credible news sources or watching Bulls games, you are getting your information from uninformed and biased Bulls fans on blog sites. That's like trying to learn more about the Celtics players by listening to Celtics fans that post on Celticsblog. If people did that and took BBallTim seriously they would believe that Rondo was better than Jordan. If those people listened to triboy they would think Jordan Mickey was better than Bill Russell. If they listened to our group of young posters that love tanking they would have been convinced Ainge was an incompetent boob for not going all Hinkie. If they listened to some others they would be convinced Isaish Thomas isn't an All-Star caliber talent and should be coming off the bench. If they listened to you they would have been convinced that the Nets pick wouldn't have stood a chance at landing in the top ten of the lottery.

Time to start getting your information from better sources LB. Jimmy Butler is ten times the player Ricky Davis ever was.
You say he was 10x the player Davis ever was.  We never saw prime Davis play on a loaded Bulls team lead by defensive mastermind Tom Thibs.  We never saw Butler play on a weak Celtic/Cavs team with no defensive identity. 

It's pretty likely Butler is better than Davis was.  I'm just pointing out that statistically, they were on a par with one another.  ...

No.  You did not point such a thing out, because they are not, at all, statistically on a par with each other.

What you did, was cherry pick.  You cherry picked some numbers that, when taken way out of context, looked kinda like similar numbers.   That in no way makes them 'statistically on a par with each other'.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2016, 01:04:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Jimmy Butler for a 50-win Bulls team: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals, 46.2%/37.8%/83.4%

Ricky Davis Career stats:  13.5 points, 3.3 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal 45%/36%/78% in 29.8mpg

Jimmy Butler Career stats:  13.6 points, 2.6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 45%/33%/81% in 31.2mpg

Dude cmon now. You know you're just using career stats to have a (lame) reason to not want butler. You know jimmy didn't get a ton of time in his earlier years, and was only getting PT for his defense, right?
Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role. 

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other.  Did you guys watch a ton of Bulls games this year?  I just know what I've read about him.  I'm fine with bringing him in, but I wouldn't overpay for him. 

As a 23 year old Ricky Davis put up Butler-esque stats of 20.6 points, 5.5 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 steals... It was his 5th season.  He was an effective player for a number of years.

This was Butler's 5th season.  The 26 year old has game.  Davis was a bit of a headcase (though I've heard Butler has a little of that in him as well) and Butler is widely believed to be a better defensive player (though playing for a team with an elite defensive identity impacted that a bit).   I'm not saying Davis was better than Butler.  I'm just saying that we've seen guys put up big stats for losers in the past.   I wouldn't mind trading for Butler if the price is right.  I wouldn't hold my breathe on him being the franchise player the team needs.
Your problem is instead of reading articles written about Butler from credible news sources or watching Bulls games, you are getting your information from uninformed and biased Bulls fans on blog sites. That's like trying to learn more about the Celtics players by listening to Celtics fans that post on Celticsblog. If people did that and took BBallTim seriously they would believe that Rondo was better than Jordan. If those people listened to triboy they would think Jordan Mickey was better than Bill Russell. If they listened to our group of young posters that love tanking they would have been convinced Ainge was an incompetent boob for not going all Hinkie. If they listened to some others they would be convinced Isaish Thomas isn't an All-Star caliber talent and should be coming off the bench. If they listened to you they would have been convinced that the Nets pick wouldn't have stood a chance at landing in the top ten of the lottery.

Time to start getting your information from better sources LB. Jimmy Butler is ten times the player Ricky Davis ever was.
You say he was 10x the player Davis ever was.  We never saw prime Davis play on a loaded Bulls team lead by defensive mastermind Tom Thibs.  We never saw Butler play on a weak Celtic/Cavs team with no defensive identity. 

It's pretty likely Butler is better than Davis was.  I'm just pointing out that statistically, they were on a par with one another.  ...

No.  You did not point such a thing out, because they are not, at all, statistically on a par with each other.

What you did, was cherry pick.  You cherry picked some numbers that, when taken way out of context, looked kinda like similar numbers.   That in no way makes them 'statistically on a par with each other'.
except that statistically... prime Ricky Davis was on a par with him.  So, yes.   That's precisely what it shows.  Similar career stats.  Similar peak.  Whether or not Butler continues playing on this level and increases the tiny gap above Davis is another question.

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3034

Sure, as long as you ignore offensive rating and every other advanced stat, and compare two isolated numbers on two different teams 10+ years apart.

Offensive/Defensive ratings:

Ricky Davis: 101/105 (career: 102/109)
Jimmy Butler: 116/106 (career: 116/104)

Maybe VORP?
Ricky Davis racked up 6.5 in 12 years. Jimmy Butler: 13.0 in 5 years... about 5x per game.

Win Shares? Ricky Davis: .061. Jimmy Butler: .169... about 3x per game.

And so on... pretty much every advanced stat greatly favors Butler. But sure, you can find one year where each of them had a defensive rating around 105.

Davis does win in usage rate.

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2016, 01:33:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

except that statistically... prime Ricky Davis was on a par with him.  So, yes.   That's precisely what it shows.  Similar career stats.  Similar peak.  Whether or not Butler continues playing on this level and increases the tiny gap above Davis is another question.

You first said Butler was overrated. You then tried to suggest that because Ricky Davis had a defensive rating of 105 to butler's 106 that they were some how similar players when anyone who's watched both (including you) would know that Butler is the far superior player on both ends-especially defense.
Your defensive rating comparison is like comparing Avery Bradley to Shelvin Mack.
You've also said that the Bulls have been 'loaded' implying that Butler's had some All star level help from the ghost of Derrick Rose and a 39 year old Gasol.

Butler is not overrated and to compare him to Ricky Davis is severely underrating him.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2016, 01:34:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Sure, as long as you ignore offensive rating and every other advanced stat, and compare two isolated numbers on two different teams 10+ years apart.

Offensive/Defensive ratings:

Ricky Davis: 101/105 (career: 102/109)
Jimmy Butler: 116/106 (career: 116/104)

Maybe VORP?
Ricky Davis racked up 6.5 in 12 years. Jimmy Butler: 13.0 in 5 years... about 5x per game.

Win Shares? Ricky Davis: .061. Jimmy Butler: .169... about 3x per game.

And so on... pretty much every advanced stat greatly favors Butler. But sure, you can find one year where each of them had a defensive rating around 105.

Davis does win in usage rate.
Luckily I'm not saying prime Davis was better than Butler.  I was pretty clear up-front that Butler is a premium brand Davis. 

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:34 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

This is wrong on so many levels.

First off, Ricky Davis' "prime" never produced a season with more than 6.5 Wins Produced (using Wages of Win definition) or 5.7 Win Shares (basketball-reference definition).  That was in 2006-07 in Minnesota.  But he played some 3000 minutes, thus producing at a rate of only .106 WP/48 or .091 WS/48.

Davis had only one other season of greater than 3.0 WP in his whole career -- 4.5 WP in 2003-04 for Boston.  That was arguable his actual, 'best season' because he produced at an at-least-better-than-average WP/48 of .129.

Otherwise, the rest of Davis' 13-year career was the definition of mediocre, averaging just 2.0 WP per season.

Butler, on the other hand, in his short 5 year career has already produced far more Wins than Davis' entire career.   After not playing much his rookie season, Butler has ripped off 4 straight seasons of huge WP numbers:  11.4, 9.8, 14.3 & 11.8  (or, 7.0, 7.1, 11.2 & 9.1 Win Shares).

And in of those 4 seasons, he accrued wins at super star rates: .257, .182, .274 & .229 WP/48.

Not one of Davis' seasons really resembles _any_ of Butler's seasons.   

Butler's career averages (9.8 WP and .233 WP/48) crushes Davis' career averages (2.0 WP, .054 WP/48).

One can argue about the exacting accuracy of Wins Produced or Win Shares - that's not the point.  That they differ is mainly a matter of difference of weighting and normalization in each model.  Both, though, are much more comprehensive statistical models of the value of what a player has done than the cherry picked, out-of-context number comparisons that you did.   

And BOTH models show that Ricky Davis and Jimmy Butler are in no way, shape or form on a 'statistical par with each other'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3034

Prime vs prime, top 2 seasons aren't very close.

Butler: 20/6/3 on 58%TS, 11.1 win shares, 122 ORtg, 104 DRtg
           20/5/5 on 56%TS, 9.1 win shares, 116 ORtg, 106 DRtg
Davis: 20/5/5 on  49%TS, 3.0 win shares, 98 ORtg, 108 DRtg
          19/5/5 on 53% TS, 5.0 win shares, 103 ORtg, 108 DRtg

Some really [dang]ing evidence... Davis is a career -2.2 (+/-) and Butler is +4.5 (+/-) per 100 possessions.

Think about that... Davis played for a lot of bad teams and they were over two points worse with him on the court. Butler has played for deep, good Chicago teams and they have been over 4 points better.

Stats don't show equality unless you do some hardcore cherry picking.

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2016, 01:55:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Per game stats are bad for comparing players.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2016, 02:01:51 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Wow.  Living proof of how you can, indeed, tell whatever story you want by cherry picking statistics.

Here is another pair of 'career' numbers:

Ricky Davis, Career (13 seasons, 21927 minutes):  28.0 Win Shares
Jimmy Butler, Career (5 seasons, 10071 minutes):  35.5 Win Shares

Might I add...

Jimmy Butler: 2 x All NBA Defensive team.
Ricky Davis: No All NBA Defensive team.

Premium brand Ricky Davis... C'Mon now...
C'mon... Butler was 2x SECOND TEAM All-Defense.  That's it?  Pssh... that's nothin. 

Tony Allen was a 3x FIRST TEAM All-Defense.    Ricky Davis started over Allen in 2005.   So clearly our very own Boston Celtics felt Ricky Davis was a better player than the guy who has more defensive accolades than Jimmy Butler. 

That's a ringing endorsement from the world famous Boston Celtic basketball organization that prime Ricky Davis might have started over prime Jimmy Butler.

Keep doubling down on this ridiculous I am loving it.

When we hear someone is a "poor man's ____" or "rich man's ____", doesn't that suggest that the product we are referring to would belong to either a poor man or rich man?  Let's put aside the slave connotations and talk about this.  Would an appropriate example of a "poor man/rich man" comp be to say that Franzia box wine is the poor man's Cabernet Sauvignon?  In such an example, we are to assume a poor man would buy Franzia, because he can't afford a brand like Screaming Eagle.  But we are also to assume that this is a product (Cabernet Sauvignon) that would be fitting for a pretentious high society monocle-wearing one-percenter.   This is where I think the poor man/rich man comp falls apart with Jimmy Butler and Ricky Davis.  Neither prime Ricky or current Butler is a superstar.  A more accurate representation of the micro-disparity between these two men and the utter insignificance of either of them can be summed up with this image... with Davis on the left and Butler on the right: 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:09:23 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2016, 02:13:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

This is wrong on so many levels.

First off, Ricky Davis' "prime" never produced a season with more than 6.5 Wins Produced (using Wages of Win definition) or 5.7 Win Shares (basketball-reference definition).  That was in 2006-07 in Minnesota.  But he played some 3000 minutes, thus producing at a rate of only .106 WP/48 or .091 WS/48.

Davis had only one other season of greater than 3.0 WP in his whole career -- 4.5 WP in 2003-04 for Boston.  That was arguable his actual, 'best season' because he produced at an at-least-better-than-average WP/48 of .129.

Otherwise, the rest of Davis' 13-year career was the definition of mediocre, averaging just 2.0 WP per season.

Butler, on the other hand, in his short 5 year career has already produced far more Wins than Davis' entire career.   After not playing much his rookie season, Butler has ripped off 4 straight seasons of huge WP numbers:  11.4, 9.8, 14.3 & 11.8  (or, 7.0, 7.1, 11.2 & 9.1 Win Shares).

And in of those 4 seasons, he accrued wins at super star rates: .257, .182, .274 & .229 WP/48.

Not one of Davis' seasons really resembles _any_ of Butler's seasons.   

Butler's career averages (9.8 WP and .233 WP/48) crushes Davis' career averages (2.0 WP, .054 WP/48).

One can argue about the exacting accuracy of Wins Produced or Win Shares - that's not the point.  That they differ is mainly a matter of difference of weighting and normalization in each model.  Both, though, are much more comprehensive statistical models of the value of what a player has done than the cherry picked, out-of-context number comparisons that you did.   

And BOTH models show that Ricky Davis and Jimmy Butler are in no way, shape or form on a 'statistical par with each other'.
I glossed over all the talk about win shares and wins produced, because so much of that is dependent on the surrounding talent on the team and situation.   

Also, because I never said prime-Davis was better than Butler.   Butler is a the Kraft Mac to Ricky's Kroger Mac.   Butler clearly is better.  Neither makes for a great meal.   I'm cool with grabbing Butler, I'm just not interesting in paying Lobster Alfredo prices for him.

If you see Butler is as the beecher's mac we can place next to some beef tenderloin, I can get on board with it. 

As long as there's still cash in the wallet for the beef. 

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
LarBrd33, it's not working for ya. Butler is a darn good player we can't skew that fact simply because we don't think he alone is the answer.

Too often people lose their sanity and end up saying the most ridiculous things about a player just because they don't like them.

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2016, 02:37:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
LarBrd33, it's not working for ya. Butler is a darn good player we can't skew that fact simply because we don't think he alone is the answer.

Too often people lose their sanity and end up saying the most ridiculous things about a player just because they don't like them.
I'm obviously not trying to take this seriously.  I go back to my original comment in this thread:

Don't overpay for butler unless it guarantees you Durant.  Butler is overrated.

You gotta figure the price starts at all our draft picks this season (Brooklyn, Boston, Dallas, the 2nds)... maybe also Crowder, Smart, or Bradley.  Are you cool with that? 

I'm ok with overpaying for him if it gets us Durant.  Otherwise, I think we should be really careful.  We could quickly give up too many assets and have no room for a follow-up move.  And simply adding Butler to this team isn't going to move the needle as much as I think some people here want.  I don't see him as a top-tier player.  A lot of people see him as a top-tier player... thus, he's overrated.  You know who apparently doesn't see him as a top-tier player?  The hypothetical Bulls team that is hypothetically willing to trade a prime under-contract Butler for picks.  That hypothetical team apparently doesn't see him as a franchise player either.

Now, if you're to tell me that Butler guarantees us two max-contract players (Durant + Horford), all bets are off.   We could hypothetically trade for Butler while maintaining double-max cap space, but in that scenario we'd need to send back close to 17 mil to make the contracts work.  That would almost guarantee Avery Bradley would be included in the deal since his 9 mil is our largest contract (Amir, Sully, Zeller, Jerebko and Turner all need to be renounced in this scenario to free up double max space).