Author Topic: Bucks (24-33) at Celtics (33-25) Game #59 2/25/16  (Read 29801 times)

Bucks (24-33) at Celtics (33-25) Game #59 2/25/16
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11866
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Milwaukee Bucks (24-33) at Boston Celtics (33-25)
Thursday, February 25, 2016
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #59 – Home Game #28
TV: CSN-NE, FSN-WI, NBA-LP 753(DTV)/753(Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, WTMJ AM 620
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF
PF C
Isaiah Thomas...Avery Bradley...Jae Crowder...Amir Johnson...Jared Sullinger 

Celtics Reserves
Evan Turner
RJ Hunter
Jonas Jerebko
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Injuries
Kelly Olynyk  (shoulder)  out
Marcus Smart (thumb)  probable
Avery Bradley  (knee)  probable
Isaiah Thomas (wrist) probable

Probable Starters
PG SG SF
PF C
OJ Mayo ...Khris Middleton...Giannis Antetokounmpo...Jabari Parker...Miles Plumlee

Bucks Reserves
Steve Novak
Johnny O'Bryant
Greg Monroe
Rashad Vaughn
Michael Carter-Williams
Tyler Ennis

Injuries

Jerryd Bayless (knee) out
John Henson (back) out
Greivis Vasquez (ankle)  out 
Damien Inglis (D-League) out

Head Coach

Jason Kidd

Game Notes
The Celtics return from their 1-2 post All Star road trip to face the Milwaukee Bucks at home.  This game begins a 5 game home stand,  their longest of the season to date.  The series between these teams is tied at 1-1.  The Celtics won 99-83 in Milwaukee in November while the Bucks won 112-111 in Milwaukee on February 9.  They will meet one more time in Boston on April 3.

The Celtics are 17-10 at home and know that they need to protect their home court.  The Bucks have struggled on the road with just 8 wins and 24 losses away from hom.  The Celtics are 6-4 in their last 10 games while the Bucks are 4-6 in their last 10.  The Celtics have won 8 straight at home. 

The Bucks are a bit short handed with Jerryd Bayless (knee), Jon Henson (back) and Greivis Vasquez (ankle) all out for this game.  In addition, Damien Inglis is on assignment with the Bucks D-League affiliate.  Kelly Olynyk (shoulder) will be once again out for the Celtics.  Isaiah Thomas  did not practice on Wednesday because of a wrist injury on his shooting hand, the same wrist that has been surgically repaired twice. Marcus Smart (thumb) and Avery Bradley (knee) have both been playing through injuries and are expected to play. 

When the Bucks and Celtics last met,  Jason Kidd changed up his starting lineup to move Monroe to the bench and it worked out well for that game as Monroe finished with 29 points and 12 rebounds off the bench.  He is expected to continue to come off the bench in this game. 

Michael Carter-Williams was also moved to the bench with OJ Mayo starting in his place.  Carter-Williams is 3-0 in Boston when he plays.  He had 16 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists in their last meeting on February 9.   The Bucks waived Chris Copeland and signed Steve Novak on February 22.   

Key Matchups 
  vs 
Jae Crowder vs Giannis Antetokounmpo
Antetokounmpo, aka the Greek Freak, is like no other small forward in the league.  He is 6'11" tall and very athletic.  He is averaging 16.2 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.1 steals, and 1.2 blocks per game and will be a challenge for Jae to have to deal with on both ends of the court.   The Bucks have been using Antetokounmpo to bring the ball up in recent games and according to coach Jason Kidd they will continue to do that in this game.  He stated that they plan to get him the ball as soon as possible and then have everyone run.  The Celtics have to concentrate on denying him from getting the ball.

vs 
Avery Bradley vs Khris Middleton
Middleton is a candidate for most improved this season.  He is averaging 17.8 points, 3.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists  and is shooting 40.1% from beyond the arc.  Avery will need to stay with him on defense, especially on the perimeter because if he is left open, he will make them pay. 

Honorable Mention
Jared Sullinger vs Miles Plumlee/Greg Monroe
Monroe was rumored to be considering the Celtics this summer but he instead chose the Bucks and is playing well for them.  He is averaging 16.5 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 0.9 blocks.  Kidd is trying to shake up the rotations by starting Plumlee, who is averaging 3.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 10 minutes per game.  Monroe is expected to come off the bench but get the majority of the minutes at center.  In the 2/9 game, he also came off the bench and finished with 29 points and 12 rebounds.  Sully will need to play him tough on defense to keep him from having another big game.  Perhaps we will get to see Mickey get a few minutes once again. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always a key to winning.  The Celtics need to get back to what had them rolling before the break, and that is tough team defense.  The Bucks average 98.6 points and allow 102.8 while the Celtics average 106.1 points and allow 102.1.  After being in the top 5 on defense, the Celtics have dropped to 15th. On their 1-2 road trip, they allowed their opponents to shoot 50.9%.  The Celtics are capable of so much better defense and they need to get back to playing tough defense as a team.  The Celtics especially need to defend the paint as the Bucks are first in the league in scoring in the paint with 49.6 per game. 

Run! - The Celtics are very effective when they run on every possession and run on defense as well.  They need to run on offense to get easy shots before the defenses get set up. They also need to run on defense to get set up to prevent the Bucks from getting easy baskets.   The Celtics have to utilize their depth by running the other team off the court. 

Take Care of the Ball - The Bucks are very long and athletic.  The Celtics need to make careful passes and take care not to allow the Bucks to force turnovers.  Both teams are good at forcing turnovers and scoring off of them.  The Celtics are 3rd, with 18.9 points off turnovers per game, while the Bucks are 5th with 18.5 points off turnovers per game.   

Rebound - The Celtics can't score if they don't have the ball. The Bucks are long and athletic and so the Celtics are going to have to work to win the battle of the boards.  It takes effort to rebound and when the Celtics put out that extra effort to get rebounds, it usually translates to other areas of their game.

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team from start to finish.  They have to be aggressive in going after loose balls and on defense and going to the basket and grabbing rebounds.  The more aggressive team usually gets the benefit of the calls also.  They need to be the team that wants it more for all 48 minutes.  No let up.   

Play as a Team- The Celtics need to move the ball to find the open man with the best shots.  They can't play hero ball as that never ends well.  The Celtics struggle when they have fewer than 20 assists and they excel when they have more than 20 assists.  But to get assists they also have to hit their shots along with sharing the ball.  If the 3's aren't falling they need to get into the paint.   

X-Factors

Back Home - The Celtics are back home and have had 2 days off after their road trip.  They have had enough time to shake off the rust from the All Star break and they should be ready to defend home court in this one.  They should get a boost from the home crowd as well.   

Officiating - The officiating is always an x-factor. Whether because of the tendencies of individual refs, or an agenda on behalf of the refs or the league, each game is officiated differently and that can favor or throw a team off on any given night.  The Celtics have to be able to shake off bad calls and just play their game. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:53:37 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Bucks (24-33) at Celtics (33-25) Game #59 2/25/16
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Fristttt
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
How many times will the Greek Freak have his pocket picked by Smart, Bradley, and Crowder before Kidd gives up on the point forward experiment for the night?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP tarheelsxxiii for being first to post in the game thread!   

Go Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
This one is a test of Celtics will
We need to bounce back and roll a team that gave us trouble a few games back

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
we need to win this game.It took me a while to recovery from that lose.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Mickey on Monroe.

No Zeller.

Let's win!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
To me the Key match-up is Monroe. the opposing bigs have been killing us lately.
I am slightly disappointed with Amir to be honest.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
To me the Key match-up is Monroe. the opposing bigs have been killing us lately.
I am slightly disappointed with Amir to be honest.

I have been a bit disappointed with him as well.  He doesn't seem to have the same hustle and intensity of the rest of the team.  I know he's a solid player but there seems to be some effort missing. 

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Some solid points made here...I'm also a little disappointed in Amir. He really looks like he's running on empty.
Some players age quickly, he seems to be a candidate.

I want to see Mickey get some minutes, I really don't understand why we're sheltering this kid, to watch Sully, Zeller and Amir get torched against any talented bigs. You can't see if he's learning, if you don't see how he reacts to good competition.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Anyone else going to this game?

I'm worried about the Bucks length and Monroe's post scoring, but if we play good defense and force turnovers we will win.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 321
  • The Truth
i see a paul pierce in jabarri parker, similar body type, athleticism scoring ability, but still has to develop a 3pt shot, hope he doesn't start today.

isaiah has to get back on track, we gotta win4-5 games of our 5 game home stand
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Amir has been very up and down.  He hasn't been great.

I've been saying this elsewhere but I think the team misses Olynyk more than a lot of people realize.  He is our best shooter and he really changes the defense when he is in.  He's very key to the style we want to play.

Zeller has been playing very poorly.  He has a few nice games but currently we are struggling with him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Regarding Amir, not sure if it's effort. I read recently that Amir has been playing with a sore foot. This makes sense because he was great at the beginning of the season. Maybe starting is a better role for him.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Regarding Amir, not sure if it's effort. I read recently that Amir has been playing with a sore foot. This makes sense because he was great at the beginning of the season. Maybe starting is a better role for him.

Yeah to be clear I assume there is something wrong like that  He also was icing his head last game I believe it was and I didn't hear what happened there. 

I think Amir plays hard and is a good player when he is healthy.  He has played well for us many times this year.  But he has struggled with staying healthy in recent seasons and he is only getting older.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford