Author Topic: Bk could trade thaddeus young for brandon jennngs  (Read 4512 times)

Re: Bk could trade thaddeus young for brandon jennngs
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Makes no sense for Brookyln unless they're also getting picks back, and decent ones at that..  In which case, fine.  But why on earth would you trade one of your two good players on a long-term deal for a guy on an expiring contract?  Even if you want to keep him beyond said contract, why not just get him in the summer? He's not staying in Detroit.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Not sure it makes complete sense but Jennings does seem to be stepping on R Jackson toes so Detroit really doesn't need Jennings. Brooklyn is in such a tough spot that cap space might be there only option. Not like they can suck that much worse. Maybe they drop from 4th pick to 2nd, but this point I don't think Brooklyn cares to much about the Cs pick this year.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
BTW, what's SheridanHoops' track record on trade rumors? About as good as anyone else's?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Bogus. Not happening.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If they trade Thad for Jennings, it will free up minutes for David Lee after Boston buys him out.  Then watch as David Lee returns to all-star form.  Lol.  That'd be pretty annoying.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Stan Van Gundy said that there's no truth to the Brandon Jennings-to-Brooklyn trade rumors.

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Brooklyn has two guys that can fetch any Kind of return and Thad Young is one of them. They should at least be able to get a 1st or maybe two out of him.

It would be insane for them to trade Young for the expiring contract of Jennings, even if it included a protected pick. They're not climbing out of the cellar this year, and swapping Young for Jennings is just gonna make you have to give us better picks in 17 and 18.

Pull the trigger ghost of Billy King!!

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
If they trade Thad for Jennings, it will free up minutes for David Lee after Boston buys him out.  Then watch as David Lee returns to all-star form.  Lol.  That'd be pretty annoying.
Tbh, I'd rather see Lee rott on the bench than buy him out and risk him signing with brooklyn. However, I don't think nets have cap room to sign him regardless. I'm not sure how vet min contracts work tho

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
They could do it, but I seriously don't think it would do anything positive for them.

Brook Lopez is such a slow, immobile lump of a guy that they really kinda NEED a more athletic and defensively capable power forward like Thad Young playing alongside him.  The two actually complement each other very well.

Trade Young for Jennings and they solve their PG problem, but then they create one big new problem at PF. 

This is the problem with the whole Brooklyn roster - they simply don't have enough talent.  They only have two good players on the team (three passable ones, once you add in Johnson) and there is only so many ways you can arrange three players into 5 starting spots.  It really doesn't matter who they trade to fill up a hole, they will be creating a new hole somewhere else.

They can consolodate by trading multiple bench players for a solid starter either, because their bench players are all hot garbage.

Nor can they trade picks for a solid starter, because they pretty much don't have any picks.   

Really, the only way Brooklyn can possibly improve from here is via free agency, since they should only have about $45M - $50M committed next year once Joe Johnson's contract expires and theoretically should be in a solid position to add one or two more guys that way. 

Really, there's no point in Brooklyn doing any moves right now.  Even trading away Joe Johnson for cap relief is pointless, because they could just let him expire after the season (lets be honest, this season is already lost).

Unless they want to try to trade Young and Lopez away for picks or young prospects, the best move for them to make right now is no move.  Their best hope is to build around Young and Lopez as their core, and try to add a start and a few nice support players to that core. 

Honestly, the Eastern conference is pretty wide open right now. If Brooklyn are smart (and lucky) in free agency and add the right pieces to that core, they could very seriously have a shot at competing for a playoff spot next year.  If I were the Nets, that is the direction I would take. 

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Tbh, I'd rather see Lee rott on the bench than buy him out and risk him signing with brooklyn. However, I don't think nets have cap room to sign him regardless. I'm not sure how vet min contracts work tho

Brooklyn are over the cap, but I think they could still sign a min contract no problems.

But Lee would actually have to want to sign there.  He's over 30 and is just coming off a season in which he won a championship ring.  Brooklyn are a bottom three team and it looks like it's going to be years before they are good enough to make a deep playoff run.  I don't forsee Lee having any interest in signing there.

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I sort of wonder if Boston would only buy Lee out with some kind of agreement about where he will and will not sign afterward.  Not an official agreement, but an agreement all the same.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I sort of wonder if Boston would only buy Lee out with some kind of agreement about where he will and will not sign afterward.  Not an official agreement, but an agreement all the same.
There will be no such agreement. He will sign wherever he wants.

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Why buy him out, then, if it could end up hurting them?

I mean, on the other hand, David Lee sucks, so let him sign wherever he wants, I guess.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Why buy him out, then, if it could end up hurting them?

I mean, on the other hand, David Lee sucks, so let him sign wherever he wants, I guess.

I think this has been an understanding in other buyouts. Team buys out a player with the understanding he'll sign with a team in the other conference, or a non-rival.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This would be great for the Celtics chances at getting Simmons or Ingram. The Nets would have to be getting a pick too.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19