Author Topic: Would you take Kobe?  (Read 3766 times)

Would you take Kobe?
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Ok here is the hypothetical:

Next year Kobe and the Lakers are far apart on money. Kobe wants big money and the Lakers feel they already gave him big money as a thank you and don't need to do it again. In this hypothetical we have big money left over and all other FAs are taken. The question is, would you give Kobe a big 1 year deal? And would it be based on him helping us, a F you to LAL or both?

Because we have the money to spend and can't pend it otherwise (in this hypothetical) I think i would take him. I'm not overly impressed/optimistic at our chances of stars in the next wave (DMC, Melo, KD) so Kobe for a year could kick the can a bit farther down the road. We still need a long term star but if the goal right now is to make a team where you can just insert a superstar and be a top team, Kobe would give us good practice if he held up. He would also increase our chances of adding another star in the very short term if a guy forcing his way out at the deadline wouldn't have ordinarily agreed to come here.

Re: Would you take Kobe?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Short answer: no, definitely not.

More specific reason: Kobe is the single biggest reason the Lakers haven't signed any stars over the last couple of years despite having the space to do it.  No elite players seem to want to play with him at this stage in his career. And he's not good enough to make us a contending team by himself.  He would actively hurt our rebuild whether he could stay on the court or not.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, HECK NO!

He should have retired two years ago.  He choose, I am going to stay until I lose all respect, instead of going out when he had some respect.   Last season, he was a volume scorer and took a zillion shots to get his average.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
nope.

he's a rapist.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:07 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Kobe's 37 this year, will be 38 next year.  This is a guy who shot 37% from the field and 29% from 3 last year.  His team was 11-25 in games he played last year (23 win pace).  Hasn't had a healthy season since '13.  I don't expect much from him this year, let alone next year.  If he's supposed to be your best player, your team is in trouble.

Now sure if it was this was the '08-'13 C's and he was coming in to play a bench role or replace Ray Allen, I'd love to bring him in.  But for next year's team?  Memphis signing Allen Iverson had a better result than what this probably would have.  He needs to go the Paul Pierce route and be happy being the seasoned vet on a playoff team, as opposed to wanting it to be "his" team.  Would actually think it would be pretty cool if Kobe and the Lakers had a falling out, and he signed with the Clips and helped them win it all in '17.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
No I wouldn't , but if he and the Lakers do part ways after this season and he chooses to play on , my tip is he will forgo latching onto a contender and sign with the Sixers.
Just my wild guess.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Yes, but only if it is to p*** off the Lakers fans  ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Only if I can flip him and two non-nets 1st for Melo. NYK gets more 1st picks to continue their build, out of Melo contract, and a player that knows the triangle who would also expire to free up $.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
NO!

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, I would definitely take Kobe in a game of one on one.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Would I take Kobe Bean Bryant in Celtics Green?

Absolutely.

"IF" this team had some things fall in place, get a star or two, and perhaps have Kobe fit into Brad's system? "AND" if those "pieces" (whoever they could be) would give us a LEGITIMATE shot at Banner 18?

Sign Kobe Bean Bryant - in Celtics Green.

Not Trolling you all, either...I've been here long enough for most of you to know that.

This man has gotten a TON of praise from Larry himself...wasn't it Larry who said he'd chose KOBE over LeBron?

Kobe was being considered by BOS - back in the day:

I wonder what would've happened if he lasted until our pick back then?

We already had ONE All-Time great in BOS - and we were a dominant team with him in the middle, at least for the 1st half of that season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCWYYooniac

Why not Kobe?

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I suppose it depends on how well Boston does this year and what the roster looks like after the draft.  If Boston is a mid-40 win team and doesn't get all of the possible draft picks, I think adding Kobe makes sense.  For all his flaws, he still can be a dynamic scorer, something Boston needs.  However, if Boston ends up with all 4 draft picks, doesn't pick up the option on Amir, lets Lee leave, etc. and looks like it is really going to have a down year while the young guys get experience, then Kobe makes no sense at all even as a F-you to the Lakers.

That said, Kobe will either re-sign in LA or retire.  He wants to go down as only a Laker for his legacy.  MJ didn't do that, Lebron didn't do that, and Shaq didn't do that.   The three guys his career is mostly tied to, didn't spend their entire career in one spot.  Kobe wants that. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Kobe had ever learned to adjust his game for the sake of the team, instead of expecting the opposite, I'd be interested in bringing on Kobe in a sixth man / clutch scorer role a la Paul Pierce.

The Celts already have a bench gunner with an Iversonian usage rate, though, and our guy is actually better than Kobe at this point in time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I certainly would not want to out bid someone for Kobe.  That would make no sense at all.  Maybe if I was the Cavs but no, not the Celtics.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wouldn't surprise me to see him on the Clippers with his buddy CP3