Author Topic: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (21-59, 3rd slot as of 4/12)  (Read 577662 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Facts:
-Brooklyn are EASILY the 2nd worst team in the East.
-The only two teams clearly worse than them in the NBA are the 76ers and Lakers.
-The only 3 teams that will give them competition for that #3 pick are the Nuggets, Blazers and *maybe* Pelicans if Davis gets hurt for 25 games+.

People like to refer to their previous playoff appearances as case for them making some kind of 'run'. I'm not sure what 'run' people are expecting and that hasn't been explained. Any run that sees them go from the 3rd worst finish to the 5th worst finish is still a potentially franchise changing result for the Celtics.

If you are going to reference their previous recent playoff appearances then it's only fair to analyze their previous competition for those playoff appearances.
If we think about all the teams that Brooklyn beat out for the 8th seed last year in the East, every single one of them except for the 76ers has improved to be clearly better than the Nets this season. They've upgraded their rosters while  the Nets have downgraded their roster.

Pistons are better
Bobcats are better
Knicks are better
Magic are better
Heat are better
Pacers are better

They are the 2nd worst team talent wise in the East. There are potentially 2 or 3 teams in the West that are worse than them being:
Lakers
Nuggets.
To be generous we'll add in the injury riddled Pelicans who will likely start winning more games with their core rotation returning this week.

At the very worst, the Nets record will reflect the odds on favorite for pick #5. Why?
Because there are only 2 teams worse than them, and the only other teams that can compete with them in terms of losses are the Nuggets and an injured Pelicans line up.

The only way the Nets are getting out of a bottom 5 finish is if Lopez is healthy all year and a team like New York or New Orleans suffers a season ending injury to Carmelo or Davis. Even then the Knicks/Pelicans would still be favorited to finish above the Nets overall. And that's without Lopez missing any games.

Again, if anyone can name 4 teams definitively worse than the Nets I'd like to hear it.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (5-13, 4th slot as of 12/1)
« Reply #1201 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Nets Gauging Trade Interest In Bojan Bogdanovic

The Brooklyn Nets have interest in trading away Bojan Bogdanovic.

The Nets have been gauging interest from other teams in Bogdanovic.

Bogdanovic is averaging 8.4 points and 2.9 rebounds in 24.3 minutes per game this season for the Nets.

MIKE MAZZEO/ESPN

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240012/Nets-Gauging-Trade-Interest-In-Bojan-Bogdanovic

This would be good for us.
Where does he fit well? Sacramento behind Gay?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Official 2015-16 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (5-13, 4th slot as of 12/1)
« Reply #1202 on: December 02, 2015, 04:54:01 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Nets are on a pace to hit 23 wins, which would have netted the 5th pick last year. They haven't had any injuries and their rotation is thin with only 7 players getting 15+ mpg and the deep bench guys being led by Bargs (and he is the best of the rest).

They won't go through a season uninjured and if Lopez gets injured, they probably would be the worst team in the league with the demise of Joe Johnson.

« Reply #1203 on: December 02, 2015, 04:56:11 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Nets are on a pace to hit 23 wins, which would have netted the 5th pick last year. They haven't had any injuries and their rotation is thin with only 7 players getting 15+ mpg and the deep bench guys being led by Bargs (and he is the best of the rest).

They won't go through a season uninjured and if Lopez gets injured, they probably would be the worst team in the league with the demise of Joe Johnson.

Yeah, but they play Philly 4 times a year.

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Welp .... maybe Ainge can turn the 3 or 4 picks in the 10-20 range the Celts will have in this next draft into a prospect he really likes.

Didn't work last year, but maybe it will work this time around.  We can't use all those draft picks anyway.

The Nets win two in a row, and their pick is now destined to be "in the 10-20 range"?

Let me remind you, they still have the fourth worst record in the League.

They're also, what, 5-7 in the last few weeks?

Look out for the Nets!!!

It's just laughable. 35+ mins for Brook, Thad and Joe Johnson. Another 30 for Jarrett Jack. Someone will go down, others will be traded.

As you pointed out, leaping from the fourth worst record to the 10th-20th worst record truly shows the bias of some to insist that the Nets will not be as bad as they've looked.
Those are pretty standard minutes for starters.

From a deliberately uninformed perspective for the sake of appearing objective, 35+ mins a night might not seem like a big deal for a "starter." When you remove generality from the issue and apply specific context however, your narrative that the Nets will fend off enough losses to crush Boston's dreams is harder to follow.

Let's start from least risky to most:

Jarrett Jack: Averaging a few more minutes and a few more shots per game than his career averages. Not a ton of added stress, though his offensive efficiency is something to watch as the season goes on. The Nets can't afford to have Jack play worse than he has thus far, and likely need him to play better if they want to avoid the embarrassment of gifting the Celtics a top 5 pick. More 30+ minute nights and gameplans that require Jack to be one of the team's highest scorers certainly isn't the conventional way of insuring that Jack continues to shoot above 40%.

Also contradictory to your entire Nets narrative is the acknowledgment that Jack is one of the most likely Nets to get traded. He has a friendly deal and holds almost zero future value to the Nets at age 32. He's playing well enough to catch a contender's eye.

Thad Young: You have to go back a couple of years to see Thaddeus Young score at this pace and play this many minutes. He has never scored so efficiently on such a high volume of shots, though scattered throughout his career are years in which he either shot this well or took as many shots. Though not inconceivable that Young remains somewhat of a scoring force in a sizable amount of minutes, there are too many gaps in his career data to assemble a pattern that would suggest scoring as many points as he has on the amount of FGs he's attempted in as many minutes as he's played is sustainable. And it is entirely ignorant of his career data to assert that his rebounding rate is sustainable. Couple that with a defensive rate not seen since 2012 Thad Young (one who carried a much lighter offensive burden), and it's quite hard to imagine Young combining career-bests or near-career-bests in all of the most notable facets of his game (scoring, rebounding, defense) while continuing to play "starter" minutes.

Joe Johnson: The only reason Joe Johnson isn't the riskiest of them all to break down is because he's already broken down, and still playing superstar minutes (35 a game). Johnson is terrible. 35% from the field. 27% from downtown. Still offers average rebounding and distributing for a shooting guard, scores a lot less, gets to the line about half as many times as he did in his prime. Truly awful advanced metrics across the board. I would be sympathetic and suggest that he might start shooting better if not for a boatload of minutes that are more likely than not to wear out a player his age even further.

Brook Lopez: Lopez is playing per game about what he was in the first few years of his career, and little bit more than he has in more recent years of his career. He's taking about the amount of shots we would expect a fully recovered Brook Lopez to take (best reference year: 2010-11, when Brook followed a healthy 82 game campaign with a consecutive healthy 82 game campaign at 35 mpg). He's shooting a little bit worse, but it is legitimate to expect this to remain below his career average because the Nets have few offensive options and defenses will always be able to key in on Lopez. His rebounding and blocked shots are what they are expected to be and there's little reason to expect change. His defensive metrics are a bit better than one would predict from previous career data, but that likely has to do with playing alongside Thad Young and RHJ, which shouldn't change. So what's the problem? Brook should remain pretty much what he's been for the first 17 games of this season, right?

Lopez has broken the same bone twice in his foot. Similar if not exactly identical injuries have derailed the careers of other 7-footers relied on for "starter" minutes (Yao, Big Z). It is inexplicably optimistic to weigh Lopez's injury history and the current stress being weighed on his body and conclude that it's more likely than not that he finishes the season fully healthy without diminished statistical output.

So, to summarize: of Nets players, there are four that hold significance and career data to project their remaining season. The Nets' two best bets to keep up the individual levels of play that have contributed, to varying degree, 5 wins in 18 tries are Jarrett Jack and Thaddeus Young. The two most distinct reasons why both are smarter bets than their teammates (JJ and Lopez) are because both are in the prime of their careers and without serious injury concern. However, Jack also happens to be one of the likeliest Nets to be traded precisely because he is reliably productive and healthy, while Young is almost definitely playing over his head. The Nets' 3rd best (or 2nd worst) bet is one of their worst players, Joe Johnson, whose probability of becoming worse is higher than his probability of becoming better based on the historical impact his level of playing time has on a player his age. Doubly [dang]ing for Brooklyn is his contract, which makes him the least likely of the 4 aforementioned players to get moved at all, let alone for something of notable value. The Nets' 4th best (or worst) bet is their best player, Brook Lopez, who has admirably but nonetheless dangerously handled an on-the-court activity level almost definitely unsustainable for a player with his injury history.

It is quite easy to maintain argumentative legitimacy when the discussion is kept general with terms like "starter," but it is much more difficult to hide the partiality behind this whole "the Nets aren't that bad" camp when you try to combine as many specifics and as much context as possible. Upon closer analysis than you offered, for 3 of the 4 Nets players I mentioned those "starter" minutes have an obviously higher potential for consequences than the vaguely defined, typical NBA starter. And when you add managerial context to the picture (who's most likely/least likely to get moved), Brooklyn's immediate and long-term outlook reveal themselves to be even bleaker than imagine. Brooklyn's most dependable (Jack) and/or positively impactful guys (Young) are the ones most likely to be traded, while their least dependable (Lopez) and/or negatively impactful players (J. Johnson) are the least likely. That's a bad recipe for success.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:14:28 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #1205 on: December 02, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We will get a top 5 pick... and we should keep it

« Reply #1206 on: December 02, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We will get a top 5 pick... and we should keep it: to trade for DMC.

Fixed.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
My guess is Brooklyn is 3rd last
Only Philly and lakers look worser

Philly because it's Philly
LA - surprising considering they got bass, hibbert, Williams 

Nets at least have solid vet talent in BroLo, joe Johnson, bogdanovic
And a good coach in Lionel hollins

It's still probably too early for normal people to get concerned.  But if you're a weirdo like me who has been worried about Brooklyn all season.. In their last 5 games they beat three .500ish teams (Boston, Suns and Pistons) and lost to two contenders (Cavs and Thunder).  Previously they managed to beat the Hawks and take the Warriors into overtime.  Their recent play is reflective of the 35-40 team I was concerned they might be.    Still... 5-13...  top 10 pick seems likely.

I'll say this... there's a bunch of guys who I could see being moved this year (Khris MIddleton and Tobias Harris, for instance) who can't be traded until December 15th or Jan 17th depending on when they signed offseason contracts.   It's by far in our best interest to see Brooklyn struggle for another month.   If they creep close to .500, we might lose our chance to trade the pick for something tangible.

First, let's face it: If any of us were "normal" people instead of weirdos, we probably wouldn't be hanging out all day on CB. ;)

I'm working on a short night of sleep, so bear with me...

I have a tangential concern. I don't want to trade the draft pick, but if Brooklyn gets close to .500, they might decide to take a shot at the playoffs and become buyers, rather than sellers, at the trade deadline. First deadline is 12/15. Before then, they have six games: at the Knicks, and home against GS, Houston, Philly, the Clippers and Orlando. There are four, maybe even five, wins in that group. I absolutely believe that Houston and the Clippers (and the other non-Philly teams) are better than the Nets on paper, but they have done little to prove it on the court.

So if the Nets go into the trade deadline at 9-15 or 10-14, is there a possibility that they become buyers, rather than sellers, at the trade deadline? Pick up a few expiring contracts or veterans in exchange for the Bogdanovics of the world in the hopes that they pick up the 8-slot in the playoffs? I'm not just thinking of our pick this year but also of future picks. Do they become any more attractive for free agents over the summer if Lopez and Young look good? Note: The 10 games after December 15 are only slightly more difficult and they could easily go 6-4 in those. They don't have to be a playoff team, they just have to think that there's a chance they are.

I look at their roster on paper and they are not much better than they were at the beginning of the season. But the fact remains that they've been winning and getting darn close against a few other top teams. Their defense has come together; if they had played GS last night instead of a few weeks ago, would it have been a different outcome?

Their offense is as expected. Their defense, which we thought would be the weak spot, has been better than expected. RHJ appears to be legit. As John Cage would say, "I'm troubled."

I understand several things, including the fact that the above is a worst-case scenario. They've been extraordinarily healthy and players such as Jack and Young who have never been superstars are playing above grade level. At least a few teams looked like they weren't taking the Nets seriously. And finally, any moves they make this year, ex-picking up a big free agent this summer, likely hurts them next year.

I am not claiming that this is a playoff team, but it is clearly better than we expected and the first ten games probably included the hardest stretch until we get to March. How many teams are worse than the Nets? On paper, only a couple. But the season isn't played on paper. If they beat Philly plus one of the Knicks, Warriors or Houston, they are 7-13 after 20 games, a run rate of 29 wins for the season, awfully close to the 30-35 wins that many of us laughed at at the beginning of the season. Still not bad, since that would have gotten us 6 or 7 last year and, given a bit more parity in the league, possibly better this year. But I'm sure gonna miss that Top-3 pick that I was sure we would get. I think Tommy better start learning how to pronounce "Poeltl."

In any case, thanks for reading my ramblings on a Wednesday morning.

Mike

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It's just laughable. 35+ mins for Brook, Thad and Joe Johnson. Another 30 for Jarrett Jack. Someone will go down, others will be traded.

As you pointed out, leaping from the fourth worst record to the 10th-20th worst record truly shows the bias of some to insist that the Nets will not be as bad as they've looked.

And yet the argument always seems to boil down to "Well, somebody will definitely get injured eventually!"

That seems more faith-based than pointing to the fact that the Nets have a quality starting lineup (i.e. their top 5 man unit is one of the best in the league by point differential) and they've been competitive for going on three weeks now, which is at least as long as they spent looking terrible at the start of the season.

If you like point differential, the Nets now sport a -6.3 point differential, which places them in a group with at least 5 other teams.  Their point differential over the last few weeks is undoubtedly a lot better.  It might actually be positive.

So, look, I agree -- as I've said all along -- if Lopez goes down for extended time, we're in business.  But it's looking now like the horrible start to the season that got us all salivating was a bit of a mirage.  Their competency of late is probably a bit of a mirage, too, meaning the end result will probably be somewhere in the middle.

"Somewhere in the middle" in this case will probably be high 20s, low 30s.  Welcome to the NBA.  You've got to be relentlessly terrible to finish with a bottom record.  A true commitment to tanking, or just an absolutely cartoonish run of injuries.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

And yet the argument always seems to boil down to "Well, somebody will definitely get injured eventually!"

That seems more faith-based than pointing to the fact that the Nets have a quality starting lineup (i.e. their top 5 man unit is one of the best in the league by point differential) and they've been competitive for going on three weeks now, which is at least as long as they spent looking terrible at the start of the season.

If you like point differential, the Nets now sport a -6.3 point differential, which places them in a group with at least 5 other teams.  Their point differential over the last few weeks is undoubtedly a lot better.  It might actually be positive.

So, look, I agree -- as I've said all along -- if Lopez goes down for extended time, we're in business.  But it's looking now like the horrible start to the season that got us all salivating was a bit of a mirage.  Their competency of late is probably a bit of a mirage, too, meaning the end result will probably be somewhere in the middle.

"Somewhere in the middle" in this case will probably be high 20s, low 30s.  Welcome to the NBA.  You've got to be relentlessly terrible to finish with a bottom record.  A true commitment to tanking, or just an absolutely cartoonish run of injuries.

Was about to type a long reply, settled on "let's wait and see."

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #1210 on: December 02, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284

« Reply #1211 on: December 02, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
My goodness, Simmons had 43-14-7-5-3 on 15/20 shooting....

The lakers better not get this kid. Please, if it's not us, I pray it's not to LA
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #1212 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 621
Need....Injury....awful...crippling...ngngng.

Breathe.

Actually, interesting that Blakeney only played 19 mins.. thought he was a first rounder??
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1213 on: December 02, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
My goodness, Simmons had 43-14-7-5-3 on 15/20 shooting....

The lakers better not get this kid. Please, if it's not us, I pray it's not to LA

IF Philly doesn't LA will and don't question that.  ;D Kobe out, they will be gifted a replacement.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1214 on: December 02, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Larbrd33 jinxed us when he finally started to believe how bad the Nets might be.

Please Larbrd33, go back to thinking the Nets are a playoff team.