Author Topic: Supreme athleticism...a poison chalice?  (Read 2919 times)

Re: Supreme athleticism...a poison chalice?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When people say "athleticism" they usually mean blocks, dunks, running fast, and being flashy.  Athleticism never means a guy hitting 90 out of 100 free throws, or having no problem hitting a three perfectly with a hand in a face, or making a perfect pass at the perfect moment, or getting in the passing lane at the exact instant needed.
Larry Bird stealing the inbounds pass from Isaiah Thomas and getting it to DJ for the layup is a thousand times more athletic than anything I ever saw Vince Carter do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:36:31 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Clearly you're not a golfer.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
That's true actually. I did say in a different thread golf was a game, not a sport.

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
 :P
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Larry Bird stealing the inbounds pass from Isaiah Thomas and getting it to DJ for the layup is a thousand times more athletic than anything I ever saw Vince Carter do.

Bob Knight said Bird had the best hand eye coordination he had ever seen.  That does not account his phenomenal basketball IQ and anticipation.  Bird was very coordinated too with amazing body control and proprioception.   Off balance he could shoot better than most of the league balanced.

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
But how well could he throw a chair?

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When people say "athleticism" they usually mean blocks, dunks, running fast, and being flashy.  Athleticism never means a guy hitting 90 out of 100 free throws, or having no problem hitting a three perfectly with a hand in a face, or making a perfect pass at the perfect moment, or getting in the passing lane at the exact instant needed.

There is definitely a difference between being a great "athlete," in the sense of being a competitor in an athletic endeavor, and having great measurable athleticism in the way that term is used to evaluate professional athletes.

"Athleticism" in the professional sports context tends to denote things that are mostly inherent, as opposed to qualities that can be trained or developed through hard work and practice.  Burst, agility, vertical jump, and so on.

It is definitely counter-intuitive that things like strength, endurance, and coordination don't typically get included.

I think the idea is that while Larry Bird was an amazing athlete and competitor, he didn't have the same kind of God-given physical gifts that a player like Vince Carter had.  Of course, Larry Bird probably was far more "gifted" in terms of mental focus, coordination, dexterity, court vision, determination, and so on.  We like to tell ourselves that those things are entirely self-determined, though.

One thing at play here is that white athletes have a tendency to be credited for their "self-earned" qualities, while black athletes tend to be talked about in terms of their "natural gifts."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain