Author Topic: C's and Zeller talking extension  (Read 10105 times)

C's and Zeller talking extension
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-is-it-time-for-an-extension/

The Celtics and Zeller have talked about a deal and there is a belief if Zeller wants to lock in security, the C’s would be open to a deal. The problem is if Zeller wants to maximize his value he may have to take a trip through restricted free agency. There is a deal possible between Zeller and the Celtics; it’s about 50/50, according to sources close to the process.

Re: C's and Zeller talking extension
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
This is great news!
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:30:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is great news!

Not really. Just talks. I still think he will be traded

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This is great news!

You have to start somewhere. If talks are ongoing then it likely means he's in the C's plans.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Meh.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I mean the fact that they want him I think is good news. If I'm Ainge and I'm going to start talking extension early with any of my bigs I would pick Zeller. Obviously anything could still happen, but it's good that they want him and they think he's willing to cooperate.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You have to start somewhere. If talks are ongoing then it likely means he's in the C's plans.

Who knows what those plans hold.   I like Zeller, he is a good backup center.  Ainge may try to lock him up to move him in trade or get him for us longterm.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even if the plan is to trade him, the way to get maximum value for him is to trade him sometime next year after he's been locked up, provided he has another quality season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The Celtics and Zeller have talked about a deal and there is a belief if Zeller wants to lock in security, the C’s would be open to a deal. The problem is if Zeller wants to maximize his value he may have to take a trip through restricted free agency. There is a deal possible between Zeller and the Celtics; it’s about 50/50, according to sources close to the process.

In other words, we're happy to sign Tyler to a lowball, tradeable extension, but if he wants to get as much money as possible, he'll need to go through RFA, where many teams are reluctant to commit cap space to an offer sheet that can simply be matched by the team holding the RFA's rights.  And that's after a year in a crowded frontcourt where his minutes and role could range from full-time starter to bench-warmer.  Sounds about right, and probably the savviest way to leverage the uncertainty the RFA process creates.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

In other words, we're happy to sign Tyler to a lowball, tradeable extension, but if he wants to get as much money as possible, he'll need to go through RFA, where many teams are reluctant to commit cap space to an offer sheet that can simply be matched by the team holding the RFA's rights.  And that's after a year in a crowded frontcourt where his minutes and role could range from full-time starter to bench-warmer.  Sounds about right, and probably the savviest way to leverage the uncertainty the RFA process creates.

About right.  I'd be surprised if something can be worked out.  Doubtful Danny would want to go much above Zeller's cap hold of $6.5 million next season, since he wants to preserve as much cap room as possible.  I'd bet Zeller is looking for a couple million more per year.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »

Offline bionicguy

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
FWIW: Previous talk (seen elsewhere) of $10-12 million per year seems like WAY too much, regardless of rising cap, unless DA feels Zeller is our starting center for the next five years. If he is, we won't be winning any championships. No offense to TZ, I like him a lot, but not for $10-12 MM. If he holds out for that much, he'll be gone before the deadline. $8MM/year, perhaps on a sliding scale, over 4 years seems reasonable. I think TZ is comparable to Kosta Koufos and can be paid comparably.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is great news!

To me , it seems like Zeller and camp want to nail an extension sooner than later.  He is prob looking for 8 million a year. Danny has avg interest in giving him that money for the long term. Maybe a shorter deal or less money

Someone is not going to be happy and likely its zeller. Unless he is alot better than last season (could not match tristant thompson for example) he will be traded is my prediction

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't think the organization should be in any rush to extend him....yet. 

I'm thinking in this new market, something like $10M per wouldn't be shocking at all.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Don't think the organization should be in any rush to extend him....yet. 

I'm thinking in this new market, something like $10M per wouldn't be shocking at all.
If $10 MM a year is what it takes to extend him I agree that letting him wait is the play. If we could get him for $6-8 MM now then the C's should jump.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Unfortunately, I don't think he is that good or has that much upside.  He is legit 7' and clearly has some game so someone will overpay.  I hope it is not the Celtics.  Don't get me wrong, I like him but he is what he is.

I think both Amir Johnson and Olynyk will get minutes ahead of him.  There will be injuries and foul trouble so he will still play but I think he is certainly expendable.  I suspect he will be part of a trade package in the not too distant future.