Poll

If you were a GM not a fan would you rather build around Randle and dangelo or Smart and company

Russell Randle
27 (34.6%)
Smart and company
51 (65.4%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Poll: Better to build around Russell and Randle, or Smart and Scrubs  (Read 8269 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Scrubs is a little harsh but it speaks to our team of role players, We are both in similar positions but LA did it big and got rewarded with a potential star, and we picked up 4 more scrubs.

Re: Poll: Better to build around Russell and Randle, or Smart and Scrubs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
I think Randle will be a stud if he can stay healthy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Who knows right now? We could be rebuilding around Smart and Rozier. I'm sure Golden State fans weren't that excited when they were re-building around two young guards four years ago.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Smart. You can already see the difference from one summer league to the next. Keep the development going.

Randle still is a huge question mark. For all we know Mickey could be a better Randle.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1398
this really seems just like trying to bait people into a conflict, particularly with the phrase "scrubs." You want your question to be as neutral as positive in phrasing to get an actual fair response. That obviously is not the intent. probably lock fodder.

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Smart. You can already see the difference from one summer league to the next. Keep the development going.

Randle still is a huge question mark. For all we know Mickey could be a better Randle.
Well, at this point the answer has to be Russell and Randle (and not that close).

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
this really seems just like trying to bait people into a conflict, particularly with the phrase "scrubs." You want your question to be as neutral as positive in phrasing to get an actual fair response. That obviously is not the intent. probably lock fodder.

The Arbiter has spoken.

I don't know enough about Russell to comment, but I think the traditional thinking is that you can't teach size, right?

That said, Russell and Randle are both unknowns, and I would want to actually watch them play in the NBA before figuring out where I stood on the issue.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton

Well, at this point the answer has to be Russell and Randle (and not that close).

Based off of what? Curiosity for the unknown?

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Not sure how anyone could not see the Lakers as a better situation.  I think the Lakers ALWAYS have an advantage.  They don't need to start with a possible stud in Russell and another potential star in Randle.  All they need is cap space and Kobe gone.   The Lakers are alway 3-5 years from contention.  The C's (and every other team) need complex strategies and a lot of luck.  Lakers need cap space.   The tanking and getting the #2 selection is just unecessary good fortune for the Lakers.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Never seen Randle or Russell play at this level

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
Not sure how anyone could not see the Lakers as a better situation.  I think the Lakers ALWAYS have an advantage.  They don't need to start with a possible stud in Russell and another potential star in Randle.  All they need is cap space and Kobe gone.   The Lakers are alway 3-5 years from contention.  The C's (and every other team) need complex strategies and a lot of luck.  Lakers need cap space.   The tanking and getting the #2 selection is just unecessary good fortune for the Lakers.

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone and I don't think it's fair to say they tanked last year. That team genuinely sucked and was injured to make matters even worse. Then they got the lottery luck.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not sure either of the Lakers' guys can play defense, but if Russell can live up to his billing as a potential superstar combo guard, I'd rather be in the Lakers' shoes as opposed to muddling in the middle of things.

Not too high on Randle myself, but if he realizes the potential he showed in college, he could be really good, too.

In general, I'd rather go with a rebuild that's centered around acquiring young talent and not making other moves until a core is in place, so the Lakers situation is more preferable to me, if we are taking Kobe and Mitch out of the equation and focusing solely on the basic elements of the two rebuilds.

I think it's obvious that when you plug in the Kobe factor and the Lakers' recently bumbling management to the equation, the Celts look a lot better by comparison.  Still, I'm not pleased with where the Celts are at right now and I'm envious of the teams that have young guys with star potential and more high picks on the way -- though the Lakers don't own their pick this year, right?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 06:26:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

That is why Aldridge and Monroe signed there. Oh wait...  I think this was true in the past but in this day and age of Twitter and the Internet these players can get exposure anywhere to help their brand or whatever if it's important to them.  The Lakers shouldn't even bothered using it as a selling point with Aldridge as it was obviously not important to him.  The Knicks are facing a similar issue striking out in free agency.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 06:28:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone and I don't think it's fair to say they tanked last year. That team genuinely sucked and was injured to make matters even worse. Then they got the lottery luck.

Didn't tank necessarily, but I question whether Kobe played in all the games he could have.  I wasn't trying to suggest that the players who played or the coach didn't try to win. On paper they were not much worse than the C's (without Kobe) but ended up with the #2 pick while we selected #16. 

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 06:32:02 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

That is why Aldridge and Monroe signed there. Oh wait...  I think this was true in the past but in this day and age of Twitter and the Internet these players can get exposure anywhere to help their brand or whatever if it's important to them.  The Lakers shouldn't even bothered using it as a selling point with Aldridge as it was obviously not important to him.  The Knicks are facing a similar issue striking out in free agency.

The Lakers have not been able to get their man for the last 2 seasons.  I suspect part of the reason is Kobe Bryant.  When he is gone, the Lakers limelight will attract superstars.  We'll see if they have a 20 year drought.  I hope so -- but I doubt it.