Author Topic: The Golden Gate Moves to Boston  (Read 11745 times)

Re: The Golden Gate Moves to Boston
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I'm still of the belief that Thomas and Smart should be the starting backcourt.  Up in the air on whether Turner or Crowder should start at SF.  Sullinger and Lee seem like the clear starters to me down low (though against certain teams I could see Zeller getting the nod).  Bradley, Johnson, and Olynyk round out the rest of the 10 man rotation. 

So I'd have something like this for minutes

PG - Thomas 30, Smart 15, Bradley 3
SG - Smart 20, Bradley 25, Turner 3
SF - Crowder 25, Turner 23
PF - Sullinger 30, Johnson 5, Olynyk 13
C - Lee 20, Zeller 10, Johnson 18

Total Minutes
Smart - 35
Thomas - 30
Sullinger - 30
Bradley - 28
Turner - 26
Crowder - 25
Johnson - 23
Lee - 20
Olynyk - 13
Zeller - 10

Something like that.  Do think the team would be served best by moving Bradley and Olynyk for another true center or SF (since I don't think Turner is around long term).  That would free up minutes for Jonas, Young, Rozier, etc.

Lee and Sullinger seems to be an awful pairing to me especially on the defensive end. Big men will run over us and guys will drive right through us. I like this better:

Smart 13/ Thomas 30/ Rozier 5
Bradley 25/ Smart 23
Crowder 28/Jonas 10/ Turner 10
Lee 25/Sully 23
Johnson 23/ KO 15/Zeller 10

Totals:
Smart - 36
Thomas - 30
Crowder - 28
Bradley - 25
Lee - 25
Johnson - 23
Sully - 23
Olynyk - 15
Zeller - 10
Jonas - 10
Rozier 5

All in all still too many guys for the rotation. Turner needs to go most. I have no use for him here. Bradley, Sully, and either KO or Zeller will probably all follow in a package to bring in a guy who can take minutes and spread them around.

In both of the above cases, there are just too many players looking to get minutes. We have to reduce the quantity and improve the quality (by trade).

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
I think his offense will overshadow the defense.

If he can get you DBLs that's where your backcourt guys come in play, Smart and Bradley.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I'm still of the belief that Thomas and Smart should be the starting backcourt.  Up in the air on whether Turner or Crowder should start at SF.  Sullinger and Lee seem like the clear starters to me down low (though against certain teams I could see Zeller getting the nod).  Bradley, Johnson, and Olynyk round out the rest of the 10 man rotation. 

So I'd have something like this for minutes

PG - Thomas 30, Smart 15, Bradley 3
SG - Smart 20, Bradley 25, Turner 3
SF - Crowder 25, Turner 23
PF - Sullinger 30, Johnson 5, Olynyk 13
C - Lee 20, Zeller 10, Johnson 18

Total Minutes
Smart - 35
Thomas - 30
Sullinger - 30
Bradley - 28
Turner - 26
Crowder - 25
Johnson - 23
Lee - 20
Olynyk - 13
Zeller - 10

Something like that.  Do think the team would be served best by moving Bradley and Olynyk for another true center or SF (since I don't think Turner is around long term).  That would free up minutes for Jonas, Young, Rozier, etc.

Lee and Sullinger seems to be an awful pairing to me especially on the defensive end. Big men will run over us and guys will drive right through us. I like this better:

Smart 13/ Thomas 30/ Rozier 5
Bradley 25/ Smart 23
Crowder 28/Jonas 10/ Turner 10
Lee 25/Sully 23
Johnson 23/ KO 15/Zeller 10

Totals:
Smart - 36
Thomas - 30
Crowder - 28
Bradley - 25
Lee - 25
Johnson - 23
Sully - 23
Olynyk - 15
Zeller - 10
Jonas - 10
Rozier 5

All in all still too many guys for the rotation. Turner needs to go most. I have no use for him here. Bradley, Sully, and either KO or Zeller will probably all follow in a package to bring in a guy who can take minutes and spread them around.

In both of the above cases, there are just too many players looking to get minutes. We have to reduce the quantity and improve the quality (by trade).
well yeah, but that is easier said than done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think you swap that and have Lee start at the 5, but I think

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

is what we'll roll out at the start of the season, assuming health.

6'9''
6'9''
6'5''
6'6''
6'2''

I'm noticing a problem with that lineup.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

Did you overlook Smart or do you really think Turner beats him out to start at pg? 
AB is exclusively a wing, from what I've seen.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

Did you overlook Smart or do you really think Turner beats him out to start at pg? 
AB is exclusively a wing, from what I've seen.

I was just going 5-1 down the list. The role of a primary ball handler needing to be the point guard is a fairly arbitrary notion, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

6'9''
6'9''
6'5''
6'6''
6'2''

Not enough shaved heads. I noticed it too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Just thought I'd post an interesting piece about our newest acquisition.  Was written a couple years ago.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-david-lees-interior-defense-a-k-a-the-golden-gate/

In the next possession, after an offensive rebound, Williams — who is still Lee’s assignment — gathers the ball at the free throw line. Lee is standing at the crown of the restricted area. After a power dribble in the paint, Williams elevates toward the basket, and in the same way a nice young man would hold the door for an elderly woman, Lee for some reason turns his body perpendicular to the backboard, clearing out of Williams’s path. Williams somehow misses the easy layup but quickly cleans up his mess with an easy putback. The good news is that the opponent shot only 50 percent in the restricted area during this possession, lower than Lee’s 61 percent average.

Another take:

http://wagesofwins.com/2013/03/12/david-lee-and-the-value-of-defense/

One other thing we have to be careful not to overreact to is how much Lee’s defense matters. I am very excited about the Spor**** data and have bugged several people about it. Knowing Lee’s defense is bad does not tell us how much that impacts his overall performance. My personal take? Based on the last several seasons, this definitely places Lee at average to below average in terms of total contribution. But, until we start quantifying exactly how much his defense is costing his team, we need to be careful about declaring Lee a bad player.

Another:

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/30/3710146/david-lee-golden-state-warriors-hook

By scouting report, Lee is a defensive disaster. His only marketable defensive skill is rebounding, where he's quite strong. But he has such a poor defensive reputation that when he once received an All-Defense vote the internet nearly imploded in disbelief. On-off data seems to back up the common perception. Last season, the Warriors' defense was five points per 100 possessions better with Lee on the bench. With Lee on the court, opponents had an effective field goal percentage of .505. With Lee on the bench, it was .478.

The numbers were virtually identical in 2010-11: the Warriors' defense was five points better with Lee sitting, primarily because of shooting. Using on-off data, Lee's offensive contribution has been nearly the exact converse of his defensive impact: the team has typically been 4-5 points better offensively with Lee on the court.

This is where things are exceptionally tricky. Using this type of data, it appears Lee is as good offensively as he is bad defensively. He has no net impact in total. There's a value in that, of course, because there are plenty of players who have net negative impacts. But for a player making the level of coin Lee is due, that's underwhelming

Hmm… I don't necessarily buy the premise being pushed here.

Being the nerd that I am, I took some time to read those articles (I'd actually read the WOW article way back when it was published).  They all are based on seasons prior to the last two.  I know that they make some attempt to take out team effects, but I don't think they succeed.

Sharing the bulk of your minutes with Ellis, Wright and Beidrins/Udoh (The guys Lee and Curry spent most of their minutes with in 2011-12) is very different from sharing the bulk of your minutes with Thompson, Barnes and Ezeli/Bogut (their main lineup 'mates in 2012-13) or Thompson, Iggy & Bogut in 2013-14.

In 2011-12, yep, when Lee sat down, the defense was indeed better.  But he wasn't the only one sitting down when it got better.   One of the big reasons it got better was because the defensive rebounding of that starting lineup was atrocious (under 67% DRB%, I believe, which is bawd-awful).    The bench was literally taller and better at rebounding and defense, rebounding at around an at least nominally acceptable 70% DRB%.

As of 2012-13, though, things start to turn.  In particular, you see that the team defensive rebounding was a much better 72% and in particular was actually slightly better with the starters (and Lee) on the floor.

In 2013-14, Lee's most recent full, healthy season (2505 minutes, including playoffs), the Warriors were most definitely NOT better on defense (or offense) when Lee sat down.   

w/Lee: 
OffRtg 111.1 points per 100 possessions
DefRtg 102.1
Net:  +9.0

w/o Lee:
OffRtg 103.6
DefRtg 106.1
Net:  -2.5

That's an overall on/off net or +11.5 points per 100 possessions.  Also notably, the Defensive Rebounding numbers for this team jumped up to about 75%, slightly better with Lee on the floor than without.

Now, spending the bulk of your minutes with Thompson, Barnes, Iggy and Bogut instead of the above mentioned guys from 2011-12 probably helped.

But it's not like Lee was dragging a good starting lineup down.  Of GSW's 5-man units that got at least 75 minutes that season, he was not on their worst defensive lineup, but he was on their two best.   The worst DRtg of any of these 5-mans that he was on was 105.2.  That's hardly a defensive embarrassment.   He was on 4 of their 5 best defensive lineups, posting ratings of 85.5, 92.2, 98.3 & 98.7 -- all excellent numbers.  The latter rating was the lineup he posted the most minutes (818) with the starters.

If you want to give credit for the latter great numbers only to his teammates, that's fine.  But it demonstrates that Lee is at least capable of playing within units that can post fantastic defensive numbers.

I personally won't look for Lee to provide any sort of big defensive boost to the Celtics.  But it doesn't seem likely that he'll be a big defensive liability either.   

Whether the team is good on defense will probably depend on many more factors.

I also doubt we are going to be depending on him for 2505 minutes this season either.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
out of curiosity, how many minutes do you think he'll be on the floor for us this season?

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

6'9''
6'9''
6'5''
6'6''
6'2''

Amir Johnson is not 6' 9".  He came into the league at that height as an 18 year old (as an SF, btw), but is well know to have grown one or two inches within his first couple of seasons.   Most estimates of his actual height are between 6' 10" and 6' 11".   Hollinger's scouting report from a year or two ago estimates as high as between 6' 11" and 7' 0", but I couldn't find anyone else with that high of an estimate.   

If you watch vids of his games against guys like Brook Lopez, who is known to be a legit 7', Amir does not look shorter.

I'd feel pretty comfortable stating his height as, 'at least 6' 10"'.

And Lee has a 7' wingspan, for what it's worth.

I agree, it's not the most imposing lineup.  But it's longer than your numbers imply.

I think it's fair to be pessimistic.  But it can be possible to do so with accurate numbers.

Personally, i'm praying to all that is holy that we don't resume the starting 1-2-3 trio of Bradley-Smart-Turner again.   That threesome was gawd-awful bad (especially on offense) last season and I don't see any reason to expect it to be much better.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
out of curiosity, how many minutes do you think he'll be on the floor for us this season?

Hard to say.  Probably depends on if a trade opportunity opens up at the deadline or not.

I won't be surprised if he starts and plays at least 20 mpg while he is here.   Lee is not my favorite player, but I disagree that he's anywhere near the disaster that you seem to think he is.

Even if he is somewhat of a downer on defense (compared to what?  our other defensive bigs?), I can't believe he can't help the anemic offense that we had last season.   

Though, to be fair, I blame most of that on our over-reliance on our three-guard starting lineup that was simply not offensively talented enough to create points consistently.

It drives me nuts that Zeller, a really talented pick-and-roll big man spent relatively few minutes on the floor with our one guard (Isaiah) who is an elite pick-and-roll guard.  Instead, he was starting with AB+MS+ET, who were all inept at running an offense.

Lee and Amir both also happen to be excellent rollers on the pick and roll.  What is Brad going to do with the guards?  Is he going to maintain the farce that we went with last Spring?  Or will he actually try to optimize the use of the talent on the roster?

Rozier, I"ll note, was pretty good in college at running the p&r.  But he's a rookie.

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979

Lee
Johnson
Crowder
Turner
Bradley

6'9''
6'9''
6'5''
6'6''
6'2''

Amir Johnson is not 6' 9".  He came into the league at that height as an 18 year old (as an SF, btw), but is well know to have grown one or two inches within his first couple of seasons.   Most estimates of his actual height are between 6' 10" and 6' 11".   Hollinger's scouting report from a year or two ago estimates as high as between 6' 11" and 7' 0", but I couldn't find anyone else with that high of an estimate.   

If you watch vids of his games against guys like Brook Lopez, who is known to be a legit 7', Amir does not look shorter.

I'd feel pretty comfortable stating his height as, 'at least 6' 10"'.

And Lee has a 7' wingspan, for what it's worth.

I agree, it's not the most imposing lineup.  But it's longer than your numbers imply.

I think it's fair to be pessimistic.  But it can be possible to do so with accurate numbers.

Personally, i'm praying to all that is holy that we don't resume the starting 1-2-3 trio of Bradley-Smart-Turner again.   That threesome was gawd-awful bad (especially on offense) last season and I don't see any reason to expect it to be much better.

It does sound likje Amir grew a few inches since coming into league

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2007/10/7/1215535/on-amir-johnsons-injury-and-height

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Hard to say.  Probably depends on if a trade opportunity opens up at the deadline or not.

I won't be surprised if he starts and plays at least 20 mpg while he is here.   Lee is not my favorite player, but I disagree that he's anywhere near the disaster that you seem to think he is.

Even if he is somewhat of a downer on defense (compared to what?  our other defensive bigs?), I can't believe he can't help the anemic offense that we had last season.   

Though, to be fair, I blame most of that on our over-reliance on our three-guard starting lineup that was simply not offensively talented enough to create points consistently.

It drives me nuts that Zeller, a really talented pick-and-roll big man spent relatively few minutes on the floor with our one guard (Isaiah) who is an elite pick-and-roll guard.  Instead, he was starting with AB+MS+ET, who were all inept at running an offense.

Lee and Amir both also happen to be excellent rollers on the pick and roll.  What is Brad going to do with the guards?  Is he going to maintain the farce that we went with last Spring?  Or will he actually try to optimize the use of the talent on the roster?

Rozier, I"ll note, was pretty good in college at running the p&r.  But he's a rookie.

Since this gets lost: I think David Lee is a relative upgrade to our frontcourt. I think the description of a poor man's Kevin Love without three point range is accurate, and he doesn't move the needle in a positive direction for our franchise. He is also a total sieve on defense, and I haven't seen enough of Amir Johnson coving for a defense-averse 5 (where I assume Lee will be played) to hope it smooths the edges.

However, putting him on the defensive end of a pick and roll has be a disaster for his entire career. I suspect he'll be able to mitigate that somewhat if he's defending alongside Smart or Bradley, and we don't play many teams that will be able to punish him in the low post. Ultimately I am not looking forward to another season of spinning tires, and Lee's signing (on the court) is emblematic of that.

Instead of "Too weird to live, too rare to die" we are "too good to tank, too bad to succeed." again.

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Different team, different situation and different efficiency.
Looking at his defensive stats throughout his career, he suddenly had his best defensive stats (DBPM) at 2.0
He always tried to improve on defense according GS articles but the main reason I believe is that GS was suddenly a better team defensively thanks to Kerr this season. Lee benefit from that and I find it even more impressive knowing he got this stats off the bench (weaker defense).
As for Boston, knowing our back-court studs on defense and guys like Crowder and Johnson, I think Lee's defense won't damage the team much.
On the other hand, offensively, he will bring something huge. Not only he's a serious threat in the paint, but it will attract attention to him and make other players open.
Last season we were mostly a perimeter or deep 2 scoring team at the exception of IT of course. I bet that will change a lot next season if our roster remain the same as of today.
Ideally we make a trade for a nice 3pts shooter and that would be "ideal" for us fans.

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Agreed.  I think we agreed on this elsewhere.

I'd like to see IT - Smart in the backcourt.  Lee and Amir in the frontcourt is our best pairing.

On the wing, I hope the team acquires a longer guy who either drives and gets to the line a lot, or somebody who is a good shooter.  Either way, somebody who can run the pick and roll at least a little.

High cost option -- Derozan

Low cost option -- W. Chandler

Either one of those would work well in that lineup, I think.

I've heard before that Amir is taller than he's listed.  That's cool. 

Still a little skeptical about his ability to totally anchor the defense, especially with a guy like Lee next to him.  Amir's not the shotblocker he once was, and he's not known as having a lot of heft in the paint.  More of a lanky / weakside guy.  Plus, the ankle issues he's had call into question whether he can do a great job defending against pick and rolls.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain