Author Topic: seriously, how adorable are 6er fans? (yes it's Celtic talk)  (Read 4902 times)

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
just went around the 76er site here on sb nation, and right on the front page, "the Smart-Noel talk needs to die."  and then, as I'm sure you can predict, there was a bunch of fans talking about hating Boston and trusting the process (which has become code for "maybe if we talk ourselves into the delusion that our GM has a plan, the reality that he has no idea what he's doing outside of 'create a culture of losing' will be easier to accept"), and that's all fine.

i don't know, i'm not really sure where i'm going with this post, but it's just funny to me to go to other team forums and see:

1 - how jealous they are of our history of success
2 - how that jealousy manifests itself into their mind that they NEED to beat us when they play us (one commenter literally said [paraphrasing] "lose every game, i don't care, just pummel Boston)
3 - how they think they're players actually share the feelings of the commenters (i.e: ooh Noel and Okafor will want to KILL Boston for danny trying to trade for them like he did with Smart before the draft......sure they will guys)

and 4, and most hilariously - how utterly convinced they are that their teams strategy is absolutely right....based on nothing

at least when Celtic fans talk, we've seen it work with our front office.  we know that they'll do whatever they can to put us in the best position to win, and they have the connections and chutzpa to go after the guys they want, and talk to other front offices to get the deals they want done (or at the very least, try to do so).

the hubris in other franchises just amazes me.  i hate to keep beating the Philly drum but they ALL seemingly share the same idea over there.  all these draft picks will undoubtedly be stars; you better offer a superstar in order to dare ask for any of their possessions in a trade; Hinkie is a genius.  but it's just based in nothingness.  idk, boggles my mind.  anyone else find themselves scrolling through other sites and noticing in what regard their fans hold our team?

Re: seriously, how adorable are 6er fans? (yes it's Celtic talk)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Don't look on other sites, but I can imagine the desire to beat Boston and finally put together a winning organization is massive.

Philly is a proud town with great basketball roots. Can't blame them. I'd be p---ed too about all the losing.

But, they do have some good things happening with the asset collection strategy. I don't know about the MCW trade (seems like churn for the sake of churn) but nabbing Noel + Dario Saric (for Holiday), Embiid and Okafor are great bets.

I don't back every move of Hinkie but he's certainly all in and sticking to his plan. All Philly fans can do is hope this pans out.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
just went around the 76er site here on sb nation, and right on the front page, "the Smart-Noel talk needs to die."  and then, as I'm sure you can predict, there was a bunch of fans talking about hating Boston and trusting the process (which has become code for "maybe if we talk ourselves into the delusion that our GM has a plan, the reality that he has no idea what he's doing outside of 'create a culture of losing' will be easier to accept"), and that's all fine.

i don't know, i'm not really sure where i'm going with this post, but it's just funny to me to go to other team forums and see:

1 - how jealous they are of our history of success
2 - how that jealousy manifests itself into their mind that they NEED to beat us when they play us (one commenter literally said [paraphrasing] "lose every game, i don't care, just pummel Boston)
3 - how they think they're players actually share the feelings of the commenters (i.e: ooh Noel and Okafor will want to KILL Boston for danny trying to trade for them like he did with Smart before the draft......sure they will guys)

and 4, and most hilariously - how utterly convinced they are that their teams strategy is absolutely right....based on nothing

at least when Celtic fans talk, we've seen it work with our front office.  we know that they'll do whatever they can to put us in the best position to win, and they have the connections and chutzpa to go after the guys they want, and talk to other front offices to get the deals they want done (or at the very least, try to do so).

the hubris in other franchises just amazes me.  i hate to keep beating the Philly drum but they ALL seemingly share the same idea over there.  all these draft picks will undoubtedly be stars; you better offer a superstar in order to dare ask for any of their possessions in a trade; Hinkie is a genius.  but it's just based in nothingness.  idk, boggles my mind.  anyone else find themselves scrolling through other sites and noticing in what regard their fans hold our team?

To be honest, no.
What boggles my mind is how many archair GMs we have here on CB.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:54:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think I saw the same thread on a Yankees forum about Sox fans once. ;)

Also, there are (sadly) a large number of Celts fans who seem to envy the Sixers right now, which seems absolutely crazy to me. To each their own, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Quite a cult following they got there. You'd be surprised how many sixers fans I saw at the draft on Thursday. But then again, the draft is all that they really live for these days.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
76ers fanbase is just depressing

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:00:28 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
im.....actually a yankees fan myself lol. could be where this comes from (raised in a Celtics, Yankees, NY Giants household, father loved Russell and Mantle)

and being the arm chair gm is half the fun of these forums.  but at least here there's some back and forth.  it seems like we'll always have an opinion, and then a good amount of people both for and against it.  does not seem to be the case, at least as far as philly goes on numerous sites.  they all seem to be STAUNCHLY in the camp of Hinkie is a genius, and we've outsmarted the league, even though they (imo anyway) are doing my long term harm than good to their franchise (culture of losing, young guys never playing any important games, never having anything to win for, a figurehead coach, no chemistry/veteran leadership, etc)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:41 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Sorta off topic, but I went over to RUFUS ON FIRE (SB nation site for Charlotte Hornets) to gauge their reaction on CHA turning down Ainge's supposed offer of 6 picks.

The comments were largely (a) glad that CHA didn't take BOS's supposed offer and (b) not believing it was offered in the first place.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
What I find interesting is that the Smart for Noel talk is going on in Philly still. I thought it might just be on our end dreaming of a young defensive big coming to town. 

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

words

i don't know, i'm not really sure where i'm going with this post,

more words

Biggest twist since the 6th Sense, IMO. Positively Shamalaylian.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think I saw the same thread on a Yankees forum about Sox fans once. ;)

Also, there are (sadly) a large number of Celts fans who seem to envy the Sixers right now, which seems absolutely crazy to me. To each their own, though.
These are the people that bother me. The actual sixers fans tend to be more reasonable than the Celtics fans who are in awe of the Sixers.

Those fans make me want the 76ers to do poorly in their rebuild, before the pro Sixers Celtics contingent sprung up I didn't care about Philly either way.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:52 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
im.....actually a yankees fan myself lol. could be where this comes from (raised in a Celtics, Yankees, NY Giants household, father loved Russell and Mantle)

and being the arm chair gm is half the fun of these forums.  but at least here there's some back and forth.  it seems like we'll always have an opinion, and then a good amount of people both for and against it.  does not seem to be the case, at least as far as philly goes on numerous sites.  they all seem to be STAUNCHLY in the camp of Hinkie is a genius, and we've outsmarted the league, even though they (imo anyway) are doing my long term harm than good to their franchise (culture of losing, young guys never playing any important games, never having anything to win for, a figurehead coach, no chemistry/veteran leadership, etc)

What would be funny that since they took a high ranked big each of the last three years, that each one leaves in consecutive years because they can't stand playing for them. :)

Seriously., I've seen some video's of Philly fan/Bloggers, and they were super happy with taking an other big. I mean Winslow and Emuiday would have been smart picks, and NY would have gotten their franchise big man.

And then the conspiracy  nuts would have gone crazy!!! :D

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Don't look on other sites, but I can imagine the desire to beat Boston and finally put together a winning organization is massive.

Philly is a proud town with great basketball roots. Can't blame them. I'd be p---ed too about all the losing.

But, they do have some good things happening with the asset collection strategy. I don't know about the MCW trade (seems like churn for the sake of churn) but nabbing Noel + Dario Saric (for Holiday), Embiid and Okafor are great bets.

I don't back every move of Hinkie but he's certainly all in and sticking to his plan. All Philly fans can do is hope this pans out.

I mean Michael Carter Williams is the Bismack Biyombo of young NBA Point guards. Maybe the Evan Turner of point guards. if you're being charitable and not just making cross-thread references.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love the rivalry between Sixers and BOS, but I'll be enjoying some popcorn while I watch them rebuild/tank:

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

What would be funny that since they took a high ranked big each of the last three years, that each one leaves in consecutive years because they can't stand playing for them. :)

Seriously., I've seen some video's of Philly fan/Bloggers, and they were super happy with taking an other big. I mean Winslow and Emuiday would have been smart picks, and NY would have gotten their franchise big man.

And then the conspiracy  nuts would have gone crazy!!! :D
Towns, Okafor and Russell were the top tier picks of the draft.  Taking a lesser player for fit reasons would not have been a smart decision.  It could be argued that the Sixers got the best player in each of the last three drafts.