11 (20.8%)
Rondo
2 (3.8%)
Perk
0 (0%)
other
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: ex-Celtic popularity contest  (Read 3674 times)

ex-Celtic popularity contest
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
The other day at the bar when PP hit his would-be game winner 1/10th of a second too late, I overheard someone saying something like "good, I hate that guy for leaving us". Piece of crap! Anyway, it isn't usually directed at the Captain, but I do think that we give ex-Celtics too much hate on this forum, especially Rondo and Doc.

Hence the poll: who are your favorite and least favorite recent ex-Celtics, and why? And in particular, positive or negative on Rondo and Doc?

He isn't my favorite (that's PP), but I really hope Rondo goes on to prove the doubters wrong. He is just such a unique player, so much fun to watch, such a fiery competitor, and he was such a huge piece of our '08 banner.

As for Doc, I don't blame him one bit for leaving. Not only wasn't Boston right for him anymore, but he wasn't right for Boston. It was best for both parties for him to go elsewhere, and I wish him and the Clips better luck next year.
And least favorite, well that has to be Ray Allen.

Re: ex-Celtic popularity contest
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Captain -> KG -> Perk -> Rondo -> Doc

I do "blame" Doc for leaving, in that he signed a contract when it was clear that a rebuild was going to happen.  He enjoyed the benefits of that contract, and then decided to bolt when the going got tough.  I don't necessarily respect it, even if I'm glad to have a new coach more invested in the rebuilding process.

As for players, I don't blame Pierce, KG, or Perk for leaving.  They all likely would have been perfectly content to play longer in Boston.  As for Rondo...  The last couple of seasons rubbed me the wrong way.  The lack of effort, the lack of leadership.  I actually respect Ray a bit more than Rondo, because the Celtics kind of screwed with Ray first by putting him in trade talks and then benching him.  I hold no animosity for him leaving as a free agent.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:54:02 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
KG ...my fav since he came in league .   My dream came true with KG being a Celtic.

I liked all and still do.....players including Rondo.

Doc ....meh :-X.     :(

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:17:44 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Pierce is going to win in a landslide victory.

I think the poll would be a lot closer if you did a poll of former C's role players, even just recent ones.

Leon Powe
James Posey
Shavlik Randolph
Jeff Green
Nate Robinson
Big Baby
Etc. 

My vote would go to Powe.

Not happy with the way Doc left, but hey we got a first rounder for the trouble and we also have probably the best young coach in the game.  No long-term hard feelings.

Same with Ray.  I was as disappointed/angry as anyone at first - and for a long time - but he did what was best for his career.  Can't blame him.  No long-term hard feelings and I still have love for him since he helped us raise #17.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It was very tough to pick between PP and KG but I picked KG only because PP grew up a Laker Fan LOL. I think I should have picked PP because KG has kinda gone back home to Minnesota. As for Doc, he is not a Celtic in my book. I think he is a pretentious guy, and never really loved the Celtics. It was just a paycheck and chance to further his career.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Talking about active players,more guys I still like:
Tony Allen
Al Jefferson
Courtney Lee
Lester Hudson
Ryan Gomes (ret 2014)

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Im not a big Doc fan. After that im lukewarm on Rondo, but I hope he finds success and after that I like pretty much all of them.

Obviously KG and PP would be 2 and 1 respectively and even after that I really like Green and TA and I still like Perk and I even root for Big Al and the guys who only played with us for a short time like Courtney Lee and Im actually a pretty big Hump fan.

As you can tell I was pretty disappointed when Memphis and Washington got knocked out.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
PP get my vote... and I love KG's mentality.
I never liked Doc, don't like his speech, his coaching style and his body language.
I was sold on Rondo his first years but his attitude slowly alter the image I have on him. His last 2 years as a Celtics was disrespectful towards his teammates and the franchise that made him the player he was.
Any player or coach that lack integrity or fundamental principles at their job simply don't do it for me.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Captain -> KG -> Perk -> Rondo -> Doc

I do "blame" Doc for leaving, in that he signed a contract when it was clear that a rebuild was going to happen.  He enjoyed the benefits of that contract, and then decided to bolt when the going got tough.  I don't necessarily respect it, even if I'm glad to have a new coach more invested in the rebuilding process.

As for players, I don't blame Pierce, KG, or Perk for leaving.  They all likely would have been perfectly content to play longer in Boston.  As for Rondo...  The last couple of seasons rubbed me the wrong way.  The lack of effort, the lack of leadership.  I actually respect Ray a bit more than Rondo, because the Celtics kind of screwed with Ray first by putting him in trade talks and then benching him.  I hold no animosity for him leaving as a free agent.

Did you miss the part when Rondo was in trade talks every single flippin' year?  Also, KG and Pierce had more say in their destination, albeit not that much, while Perk was traded outright for Jeff Green, so I wouldn't put him in the same category as the two future hall of famers, but that's just me.

As for the poll, well, it's really tough, because I love PP, KG, and Rondo equally, and I miss them all, terribly.  I know it's sentimental, but it's hard to say goodbye to your favorite player(s), let alone three legends (and, yes, as far as I'm concerned, Rondo is a legend).

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't understand the animosity towards Doc. I personally never liked him but I totally understand why he left and not wanting to rebuild... again, he already endured that with us why do it again if you have a choice?

Ray Allen, I appreciate the time he put in here but I can understand why some fans could hate the dude. you don't leave a team and go to their rival, it's what you call a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. move.

same with Rondo, I loved him when he was here. i don't know what's happened to him but everything about him has deteriorated.

Pierce can do whatever he wants, he's earned it.     

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I might be the only person here who liked Rondo more in 2012-2014 than in 2010.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Pierce>KG>Rondo>Perk>Doc

Pierce- A clear Celtics legend.

KG- Completely changed the culture and left his mark in Celtics history (albeit for not as long as Pierce did).

Rondo- Had some insanely high highs and his best moments in green. The "cult classic" Boston Celtic, if you will. I honestly think he was a decent leader here after the KG/PP Era, but his skills had deteoriated so much due to the knee injury. Guys like AB still talk about him as a lasting influence. Overall, a fun career in green that at least gave us something to talk about on the slow days.

Perk- I get the love for him, but he was never a factor as big as the other three basektball-wise. Also, his actions recently have soured my opinion of him ever so slightly.

Doc- My least favorite because he left under contract. Rondo did too, but that was pretty mutual, with the Celtics acknowledging his fall from grace and desire to go to a contender. Doc, however, was clearly still a big commodity who threw the team into lots of hoopla due to his personal desires. zi understand the guy's decision, but I still root "against" him for what he did.

Ray Allen I am indifferent towards. He left during free agency, and he was a big piece of the '08 team. However, he never felt part of "it" to me, and I'm still sour from his shoddy last playoff run with the team. His leaking bad stuff to the media was not too heroic either, but I can sort of see where that's coming from. Overall, though, I never had enough emotional connection to him to really feel super strongly when he left (after the initial bad feelings, of courss).

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Paul Pierce obvi  :)
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Reggie Lewis ... was the captain and in his prime on the struggling teams after the Bird era ... I was in tears the day he passed away