Poll

Will Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like  he did at Gonzaga.

Yes. Olynyk Will put on a Clinic just like he did in college.
25 (30.5%)
No. The Clinic will be shut down.
32 (39%)
I'm not sure Olynyk freaks me out.
25 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.  (Read 17910 times)

Re: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He's got some obvious skills, but in my opinion he's an utter marshmallow.  I just don't like soft players.  I hope we trade him.  It's why I have no problem in drafting another PF.  We've got depth at the position, but both Sully (weight) and Olynyk (Low-T) are both better as reserves than as starters (and Kelly's softness just irritates the pisz out of me.)

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think KO is who he is for the most part.

this.

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 05:46:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
I doubt there will  be an explosion, but I don't know that the story already is set in stone on him.    His body has some changing to do and he is actually faster (or at least faster than I thought) running the court if you really watch him.  His shot not only can get better, he can get smarter about how to use it -- this is something he improved on over his first 2 years.  I think his bad hands underneath (grabbing rebounds) has something to do with lack of quickness, hand-strength, or hand size, however, his technique can improve -- he does a lot of arm-flailing at the ball in lieu of correctly positioning his body.  As his body gets stronger (it will), he may be able to use his size better.   The lack of killer instinct may make him less likely to be a perrenial all-star, but I can see him being a 16/8 guy and a very valuable rotation player. Or not.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
I tend to not completely judge a guy until after 3 seasons. sure Kelly has shown some flashes, and it'd be nice to see those flashes show up consistently game in and game out, and sure it could still happen.

but there's things that I see consistently that flat out scare me and I get embarrassed for him and my team. one of those things is something that's crucial to him being that player that has those "flashes" and that is his dribbling - he looks scared, and I've never seen a player fall down so much while dribbling. whenever someone jumps out and picks him up, there's a good chance something bad is going to happen.

same thing on D, when the ball swings to the guy he's defending he gets the deer in the head lights look and falls down...again I've never seen a guy fall down so much on both ends of the court.

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
IMO I think he has improved as an athlete from moving kind of clunky out there to a more fluid athlete, but still work to be done there.  His effort seems to be there on D so it gets him somewhere in the adequate range.  Most of the time he still seems very hesitant when to shoot even if he has an open shot.  He needs to get more confidence there because he is very skilled.

Ideally though if he is paired on the front court with a very good defensive anchor/ very good rebounder it can hide some of his definiences, and I think he can flourish more.  We really don't have that kind of player on the roster which we all know.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 06:20:41 PM »

Offline Old Wine

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
Only if played at the 4. If played at center (backup to Zeller) he will become damage goods.

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
IMO I think he has improved as an athlete from moving kind of clunky out there to a more fluid athlete, but still work to be done there.  His effort seems to be there on D so it gets him somewhere in the adequate range.  Most of the time he still seems very hesitant when to shoot even if he has an open shot.  He needs to get more confidence there because he is very skilled.

Ideally though if he is paired on the front court with a very good defensive anchor/ very good rebounder it can hide some of his definiences, and I think he can flourish more.  We really don't have that kind of player on the roster which we all know.

that "aggressiveness" that he lacks severely I've seen maybe twice since he's been in the league. one of those was against Toronto and that flat out ticks me off, because he clearly showed he has the ability. so am I supposed to hope we just play Toronto every game so I get to see the best KO? 

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Kelly Olynyk will never be more than a roleplayer. Move along.

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Only if played at the 4. If played at center (backup to Zeller) he will become damage goods.

I used to think that Kelly's best position was at the power forward spot.  Recently I've re-thought that opinion a bit.  I like the mismatches he can create for opposing defenses when he plays at the five.

I actually also kinda think he's better defensively at the five.  He can't stick with quick fours on the perimeter.  At the center position, although no intimidating rim protector, he gets in good enough position often enough to be serviceable against drivers.

I'd like to see him paired with a front court mate who is quick enough laterally to defend on the perimeter, but also long and springy enough to block shots.

Someone like . . . maybe . . . Nerlens Noel.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
PPG   RPG   BLK
10.3   4.7   0.6   Last years numbers.

15.0 8.0 1.2    This would be an exploding Olynyk this year Who wouldn't be happy with that.

That's not exploding...that's pretty much exactly what he's been putting up (per-36) since he's been in the NBA.

I don't really see him playing 36 minutes a night though.  If he can play 32 MPG or so and put up those numbers, then I guess that would be a nice improvement. 

When I read 'explode' I thought there people meant that he was going to come out and average 21/10/3 or something - was going to say, I don't see that happening haha

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He's got some obvious skills, but in my opinion he's an utter marshmallow.  I just don't like soft players.  I hope we trade him.  It's why I have no problem in drafting another PF.  We've got depth at the position, but both Sully (weight) and Olynyk (Low-T) are both better as reserves than as starters (and Kelly's softness just irritates the pisz out of me.)

I like guys with a bit of toughness too, though to be fair there hare been lots of guys who have gone far in the league without being especially tough.

* Tim Duncan (Like a quiet lil puppy dog)
* Dirk Nowitzki (I've never seen a single mean streak in this guy)
* Kevin Durant (There is nobody softer)
* Chris Bosh (publically complained about Asik diving for a ball because "thats how guys get hurt")
* Lebron James (I'll cop flak for this one, but Lebron is soft as a pillow)
* Stephen Curry (not exactly a guy who will go starting bar fights)
* Derek Rose (scared to play in case he hurts himself and misses business meetings, apparently)

That's just a few off the top of my head, but there are many more out there if you wanted to really sit and think about it.

A guy with excellent skills and/or talents (and who knows how to use them) can go pretty far in this league.

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

I like guys with a bit of toughness too, though to be fair there hare been lots of guys who have gone far in the league without being especially tough.

* Tim Duncan (Like a quiet lil puppy dog)
* Dirk Nowitzki (I've never seen a single mean streak in this guy)
* Kevin Durant (There is nobody softer)
* Chris Bosh (publically complained about Asik diving for a ball because "thats how guys get hurt")
* Lebron James (I'll cop flak for this one, but Lebron is soft as a pillow)
* Stephen Curry (not exactly a guy who will go starting bar fights)
* Derek Rose (scared to play in case he hurts himself and misses business meetings, apparently)

That's just a few off the top of my head, but there are many more out there if you wanted to really sit and think about it.

A guy with excellent skills and/or talents (and who knows how to use them) can go pretty far in this league.

I'm not talking about starting fist fights with guys.  I'm talking about playing soft.  I think if somebody gets physical with Olynyk, they can make him utterly disappear.  The guys you mention above are not soft players, although in his earlier years, I think Dirk, too, used to shy away from contact probably too often.  Kelly has way too much Brad Lohaus in his game.  You like him, that's fine.  I'd sooner move on from him, despite him having some skill.  Ultimately, we'll probably get an upgrade at PF and keep one of Sully or Kelly.  I'll take Sully (though I have issues with his weight problems, but who doesn't.)  Given the choice between Sully's weight problem and Kelly's low-T problem, I'll take Sully.

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562
Kelly Olynyk will never be more than a roleplayer. Move along.
I agree.  However he could be a good role player depending on the core players Ainge will hopefully start acquiring soon. 

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
PPG   RPG   BLK
10.3   4.7   0.6   Last years numbers.

15.0 8.0 1.2    This would be an exploding Olynyk this year Who wouldn't be happy with that.

It's doable for him I think, but it'd depend on us making a decision to go with him over Sully. I think he can easily hit 15 points a game. The kid has all of the tools to be a big-time scorer in this league someday. But even being 7 foot tall, I'm not sure he'll ever get 8 rebs and over 1 block a game.

Agree. Only way he goes off or even gets close to those numbers is if Sully was gone. These guys could/should be playing 32 even 34-36 mpg on last years team but they can only play so much with the other here.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 07:36:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like guys with a bit of toughness too, though to be fair there hare been lots of guys who have gone far in the league without being especially tough

Everyone of these guys has more talent and athletic ability than KO.