Author Topic: Cavs fan here. It's payback time, Boston. We've been waiting 5 years for this...  (Read 80656 times)

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Cavs need refs to win, even against the Celtics.

The worst thing a fanbase can do is always blame the refs for when their team loses.

One of the worst things a person can do is bury their head in the sand like an Ostrich.

Reffing looked fine for both sides. Lebron and Kyrie are awesome players.

Hat tip to the Cavs,

Let's see how the Cavs perform against our wired youngsters back in Boston with our crowd.

Go Celtics!

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought the reffing was better this game but I do think they gave Kevin Love some FTAs to help him out.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
i thought the Bradley "foul" on Irving late in the 4th was a killer. When it was called (obviously, a bad call. Even the commentators said so), I had an ill feeling that that was the momentum killer right there. What was a 3-point game and the ball going the other way (potentially becoming a 1-pt or tied game) suddenly became a 5-point game on a reset situation.

- LilRip

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
i thought the Bradley "foul" on Irving late in the 4th was a killer. When it was called (obviously, a bad call. Even the commentators said so), I had an ill feeling that that was the momentum killer right there. What was a 3-point game and the ball going the other way (potentially becoming a 1-pt or tied game) suddenly became a 5-point game on a reset situation.

I promise I'm not being a smart ass but I think Gorman said Bradley got him on the hand. I thought it was a foul in my opinion.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399

I promise I'm not being a smart ass but I think Gorman said Bradley got him on the hand. I thought it was a foul in my opinion.

But the hand is part of the ball?

- LilRip

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

But the hand is part of the ball?

I would have to see a replay again but you might be right, I didn't think about that.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Just being technically correct here.  It was a 4 point lead and Irving hit both to make it a 6 point lead at the 3:08 minute mark of the 4th.

Smitty77

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why was the other thread started by this guy locked?  This stuff is GOLD!  Ahaha. ;D

SB Nation is closing in on a 2 game deal with Kevin Dasd. *STORY INSIDE*

CLEVELAND--Representatives for Kevin Dasd were finalizing negotiations Tuesday on a 2 game contract that will bring him to the Game Thread on the SB Nation Celtic's Blog Forum, sources told ESPN.

Cavs.com and RealGM.com have been told by Dasd's representatives to move on, the sources said. Both websites were hoping he would post in their game threads, as traffic increases by 320% when Dasd is posting.

Dasd was absent from the game thread on Sunday afternoon and it left many members on the Celtics forum confused and upset.

A source close to Dasd told ESPNBoston.com that an announcement of a deal could come from the seven-time Poster-Of-The-Year as soon as this afternoon.

The contract, which is for game's 2 and 3 on their website, will be for more than $56,987 per Dasd post.

"I'm excited to be here. Their team isn't very good and this forum lacks star power, but I think I can make a solid difference in several key areas," Dasd said. "I expect 10,000 new members by opening top tonight."

Dasd has said that he'd be open to accepting a contract that was worth less than the maximum allowed, under the League of Message Boards guidelines. However, if Dasd took a pay cut, it could provide more money for SB Nation to bring in some other posters with some credibility.

"It's exciting to hear that it's still possible and that at least it's close to being real," a source close to SB Nation said. "But I've been around a long time, so until it's done and it's real, we can't assume that it's a definite thing."

Information from ESPNBoston.com and ESPNNewYork.com contributor Fred Katz and was used in this report.

I don't know about you guys, but I cannot wait to find out what 'opening top' is. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:15:29 AM by Beat LA »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why was the other thread started by this guy locked? 

CLEVELAND--Representatives for Kevin Dasd were finalizing negotiations Tuesday on a 2 game contract that will bring him to the Game Thread on the SB Nation Celtic's Blog Forum, sources told ESPN.

Cavs.com and RealGM.com have been told by Dasd's representatives to move on, the sources said. Both websites were hoping he would post in their game threads, as traffic increases by 320% when Dasd is posting.

Dasd was absent from the game thread on Sunday afternoon and it left many members on the Celtics forum confused and upset.

A source close to Dasd told ESPNBoston.com that an announcement of a deal could come from the seven-time Poster-Of-The-Year as soon as this afternoon.

The contract, which is for game's 2 and 3 on their website, will be for more than $56,987 per Dasd post.

"I'm excited to be here. Their team isn't very good and this forum lacks star power, but I think I can make a solid difference in several key areas," Dasd said. "I expect 10,000 new members by opening top tonight."

Dasd has said that he'd be open to accepting a contract that was worth less than the maximum allowed, under the League of Message Boards guidelines. However, if Dasd took a pay cut, it could provide more money for SB Nation to bring in some other posters with some credibility.

"It's exciting to hear that it's still possible and that at least it's close to being real," a source close to SB Nation said. "But I've been around a long time, so until it's done and it's real, we can't assume that it's a definite thing."

Information from ESPNBoston.com and ESPNNewYork.com contributor Fred Katz and was used in this report.

Because it was another blatant troll attempt.  One thread is enough.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Why was the other thread started by this guy locked? 

Because it was another blatant troll attempt.  One thread is enough.

Oh come on, this stuff is hilarious. ;D I mean, 10,000 new members by opening top? ;) What a job creator (sarcasm)! ;D

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
For those of you who doubt my message board credentials, please allow me to share with you my posting resume.

1997-1999: Ultima Online Message Boards. I was the first poster to have over 2,000 posts in a single day, as well as ranking number one overall with 417,826 posts. I was banned in early 1999 after sleeping with the moderators wife.

1999-2009: Indians.com Message Boards. I was the most well liked and respected poster. I once dated 6 different women in the Cleveland area at once, from the site. I held a daily post during the season called Kevin Dasd's predicts. I would predict the EXACT score of the Indians game at an alarming 78.9%.

2003-2007: World of Warcraft Message Boards: I once started a thread that had a North American message board record of 1,987,384 replies. The moderators were asked by Blizzard entertainment to delete the thread to save bandwidth. I demanded an apology and when it never came I retired from their forums.

2003-2005: Cavs.com Message boards. Cavs.com is the most over moderated board I have ever been a part of. A poster with my sense of flare and style was not long. I got banned in 2005 when I demand the Cavaliers not re-sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas--calling him a Lithuanian Oaf.

Since 2009 I have kept a low profile. Living the life of a Message Board Legend may seem glamorous, but it can take it's toll. I couldn't even go to the grocery store without getting hounded by fans.

Now that Cleveland is about to win it's first ring since 1964, I felt it necessary to make my return.

-Dasd

I sleep with a moderator's wife every night (except when I'm gassy and banished to the spare bedroom)

Ahaha, TP. ;D

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Like, I don't have the time now to go through all this, but all NBA stars get calls. Durant, Duncan, etc etc.

Not the way LeBron does.  If the games I've watched are anything to go off, there is not a single player in the NBA who gets as many obviously bad calls go their way as Lebron does.

I'm not talking about those 50/50 calls (was it a charge or a block, etc) - I'm talking about times where he's completely alone on the fast break and takes 5 steps without a travel call.  I'm talking about the times where he mugs guys right in front of the official, and no foul is called.  I'm talking about the times when Lebron knocks the ball out of bounds when there is no opposing player within 2m of the ball, and they give Cleveland possession.

Stars always get more calls then guys who aren't stars (and that's BS) but Lebron gets more than any. 

I don't want to hang with LeBron. I don't think he is a particularly cool dude or anything. But the absurd discounting of his basketball ability that people with vitriolic hatred do is just absurd. He really is that good at basketball. There are fair criticisims of his game to be made. They usually don't involve many of the terms earlier used.

Who here discounted his basketball ability?  I always acknowledge that he's an outstanding basketball player - just take a look at his stats, you can't argue with that. 

That's not to say I don't think he's a little overrated (I do) but I still acknowledge that he's arguably the greatest SF to ever play the game - and that when all is said and done his will be one of the greatest players of all time, period.

My response was to the people who were trying to argue that the dislike / hatred towards LeBron isn't justified, because I believe it is (in many ways) completely understandable.

I don't care how good Lebron is, how talented he is, how skilled he is.  If the guy acts like an arrogant spoiled brat, then I'm not going to like him nor respect him.  I will respect his individual achievements on the basketball court, but I'll never respect him as a person.

I also have trouble respecting his team achievements, because the only way he's ever achieved anything team-wise is by running away (by choice) to teams that either already have mulitple superstars in place, or have made the promise of acquiring multiple superstars.

People will say Paul Pierce never won until Ray and KG came to Boston, and that's true.  But the key factor here is the fact that Ray and KG were brought to him, by the team, via trades.  Pierce never left Boston to join those guys in their existing teams - he stuck by his team.  Same is true of Kobe.  Kobe never left the Lakers to join Shaq in Orlando - the Lakers brought Shaq to LA.  People can say all they want about Kobe requesting trades, or Kobe talking about joining other teams, but the fact remains he never did - every time free agency came around, he stayed in LA.  This was even true when he signed his current contract, despite the fact that he knew his team was going through a rebuild.  Same with Jordan - Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc (etc) all came to Chicago.  Jordan never left to join those guys, he stuck by the Bulls.  The only time he eventually changed teams was to Washington, and he didn't go there to chase a title - he went there because he had a vested interest in the team. 

Now there are guys you COULD paint with the Lebron brush.  Carmello Anthony for example - he forced his way to New York because he felt like he'd get a title by joining Amare.  Dwight Howard forced his way out of Orlando to get to a team with an existing superstar.  The difference is that as much as those guys tried to take the easy way out, at least they never got up and started making bold, arrogant predictions about all the titles they would win...Carmello never held his own TV session to tell everyone "I'm taking my talents to NYC".  They joined what looked like winning situations, but they handled it with SOME degree of modesty at least.

LeBron is probably the only superstar I can think of in the past 20 years who left his existing team (after they had already made numerous deep playoff runs) in free agency to join a team with two other superstars, then tell the world about it in his own TV session, and then hold a pre-season celebration making bold claims about how much success they would have.  That level of egotistical arrogance is more than I can stomach.

Is he a great player?  Of course he is.  You don't put up 27/7/7 almost every season of your career unless you are one hell of a basketball talent.  But his personality (at least his public one) is pure Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag.

And the recent straight-shooting Kobe is just as manufactured as people are claiming James is, if to a different end. He has ingeniously made people forget or reframed forcing Shaq out, demanding a trade, or threaten going to The Clippers or Bulls, etc etc. Kobe's successfully made himself into **** number one in an acceptable way but if you think it isn't manufactured and an image move you are just being suckered. The ultimate competitor stuff, while he is crazy competitive, is also a total image thing. I have no problem with it but it isn't somehow any more or less authentic than what people are ripping LeBron for (you can tell because people rip Westbrook endlessly and he is the more "authentic" version of what Kobe puts forth publicly. But without the smoothed veneer that makes Kobe's palatable).

I never said Kobe is a nice guy.  But as much as people may find Kobe difficult to play with (or difficult to like) i don't think there is anyone I know who would describe him as anything less than the ultimate competitor.  Kobe plays his heart out every night.  He might not always play in the most fundamentally sound way, but he leave it all on the floor every single night, and if guys are struggling he'll never be afraid to take control.  He'll play through all but the most serious injuries.  When he plays a game, all you need to do is watch the expression on his face for a moment and can see he putting everything he has into it.

I watch Lebron and sometimes I see that....othertimes I just see a guy on cruise control.  He just doesn't look to me like he has the personality of a leader.  I feel like he's kinda become somewhat of a leader, but moreso by default because he's had to, not because that's a natural instinct of his. 

Of course you're free to disagree with me (we can only decide such things based on what we subjectively see, after all) but that's what I see. 

As a player, in terms of his skill set and actual ability, I will put Lebron up there with anybody.  In terms of his attitude and competitive spirit however, I would't put him on the same level as guys like Jordan, Bird, Russell, Kobe, Wade, Pierce and KG...even through he's probably a better (and more talented) basketball player then half of those guys.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I agree with others that Lebron is unlikeable.  A lot of superstars will be hated by fans because of jealousy, etc.  With Lebron, that's some of it, but it goes beyond that.  The ego and arrogance is always going to rub folks the wrong way; it's hard to like a guy who refers to himself as "King".  The marketing, the anointing by the media, the coddling by the refs, the jumping ship to Miami...  He's just not a guy who is easy to embrace.

But, you can hate the player, but don't hate his game.  He's a tremendously talented player who has consistently maximized that talent recently.  He struggled earlier in his career in a handful of playoff series, but has excelled since 2012 (and even before that, had plenty of epic playoff performances).  He's played with some star teammates, sure, but at least with Irving and Love, neither had played in a playoff series before he arrived; now, they're Vegas' favorite to win the title.

Fans come across as petty when they suggest that Lebron can't win without the refs, or that he's a serial choker.  Neither is true.  Lebron is still the best player in the game by a wide margin, and there's no player who individually gives his team a better shot to win a title.

I agree with most of what you said, but not so much the last part.

I'd say you would have to be a fool to try and say LeBron isn't one of the best players in the league right now, and one of the greastest players of this generation.

But to say that he's the best player in the game by a wide margin? And that there is no player who individually gives his team a better shot to win a title?  I'm not so sure about that.

Look at what Russell Westbrook did this season - his individual achievements were absolutely off the charts, and I think it's hard not to agree that the Thunder would have been a lottery team without his ridiculous play...and he does it on both ends of the floor.  The only other true superstar he's ever played with has been Durant, and when those guys have both been healthy the Thunder have always been serious contenders.  Give them a Kevin Love or a Chris Bosh as a third piece and I think they'd be at least as dangerous as the Lebron-led Heat or Cavs.

Speaking of Durant, he's another guy.  Personally I don't believe Durant is as good as Lebron, but he's certainly right up there.  I couldn't agree that Lebron is a 'wide margin' better than Durant.

Same with Harden - i don't like him much, but it's almost unfathomable how far the Rockets got this season behind his place, when you consider all of the problems they faced all season.

Stephen Curry has a crazy season - he just led the Warriors (who nobody considered much more than an early playoff exit) into the undisputed best regular season team in the NBA. 

Then there are guys like Demarcus Cousins (who has the third highest Real Plus Minus in the NBA IIRC) and Anthony Davis - we haven't seen big men this versatile and talented since the Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing days.  Davis basically just carried a dead set lottery team into the playoffs in the tough western conference, and while Demarcus Cousins' team hasn't enjoyed much success, he's been an absolute animal. 

Not to mention Chris Paul - a guy who, year after year, has impacted his teams success more then possibly any other guy. 

Honestly, I do believe that Lebron is the best player in the NBA, but I think some of those other guys right now are pretty darn close in terms of outright ability, or the impact they have had on their teams, or both.   

Remember that even with Kyrie and Love, the Cleveland was really struggling until they somehow pulled the ridiculous deals that allowed them to get Mozgov, J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert in return for pretty much for nothing.  Only after those acquisitions did Clevleand really start to become a major force.  It's not like Lebron came to Clevleand on his own and suddenly made the Cav's a contender - as CP3 pretty much did with the Clippers.  It took the additions of Love, Mozgov, JR Smith and Iman Shumpert to convert that lottery Cleveland team in to a legit contender.

No doubt Lebron is critical to his team's success, but so are all of those other guys I listed above.

Offline jeezem

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Cleveland should be blowing out this Celtics team by 30 every night easy, but they are basically squeaking out home wins?  If I was a Cavs fan, I'd be asking what is wrong with this team, and why they are not playing better team ball.  Maybe it is because LJ just dominates the ball on almost every possession - and he and KI basically try to win playing one on one all the time.  Best of luck winning an NBA title against San Antonio or Houston playing like that. 

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I understand turner can't guard Lebron. but like Gorman said "if Lebron is getting away with that? no one can".

that play was a blatant abuse of the superstar call. turner has a right to his spot, you can't just barrel you're way through the guy with you're elbow.