Poll

Are you a believer in advanced metrics/analytics?

Yes
21 (77.8%)
No
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Are you a believer in advanced metrics/analytics?  (Read 13359 times)

Re: Are you a believer in advanced metrics/analytics?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Back on topic: "Motor" is probably the worst (i.e. most subjective) 'anti-stat' that's still used.

It is definitely subjective, and too often gets misapplied as a moniker to explain a guy who just isn't as talented as his teammates.

Do you think it exists, though?

I don't really understand why people use stuff like "motor" and "toughness" as arguments against the viability of statistics. If you are a really hard-working tough player, it should result in you being able to do better stuff and do things like take better shots, get fouled more etc. I don't think anyone does things that "don't show up on the stat sheet" other than doing things like boxing out for a teammate which we literally don't count on the stat sheet.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Back on topic: "Motor" is probably the worst (i.e. most subjective) 'anti-stat' that's still used.

It is definitely subjective, and too often gets misapplied as a moniker to explain a guy who just isn't as talented as his teammates.

Do you think it exists, though?

I think within statistic circles they call it "activity level" now, but I know for certain I've read Zach Lowe or someone talking about I think Anthony Davis and using SportVU data to track movement across the floor during defensive possessions. They called it motor then.

I think in the modern era Kenneth Faried is the motor guy, right? What does that mean? He runs a lot? How's Corey Brewer's motor? Hopping back to the NFL, why were so many people questioning Clowney's motor?

If we're talking about misapplication we first need to come up with a "yes, this is a motor" moment, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
I just always seem to interpret "motor" guys as players that don't really take plays off or play at a high effort level near or all game.   You could be getting blown out and this guy is still diving for loose balls or getting back on D to try & draw a charge.

In the big picture of things, I'm not sure if it actually does anything substantive and is certainly over-rated but I do think its a trait that exists in certain athletes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't really understand why people use stuff like "motor" and "toughness" as arguments against the viability of statistics.

Who does this?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Motor to me is multiple effort plays.

Guys who can make 3-4 (more) effort plays in same possession.

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think within statistic circles they call it "activity level" now, but I know for certain I've read Zach Lowe or someone talking about I think Anthony Davis and using SportVU data to track movement across the floor during defensive possessions. They called it motor then.

It's an interesting approach - it'd also be interesting to see which players play consistently closest to their maximum activity level.  Seems like the idea of "motor" is somewhere in that vicinity, though you'd probably also want to factor in whether that max level is unusually high to begin with.

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Motor guys are interesting but that doesn't necessarily translate to good play.

It goes back to that old adage, would you rather have someone who works hard or works smart. Not saying that someone with a great motor isn't a good player just that it's not always a guarantee that what he is doing is actually bring a positive effect to the game.

I know teams have stats that aren't in the advanced metrics area that I would love to see like 50/50 balls won, balls deflected, shots altered, etc. Be cool to see those stats that coaches love to use for their chalkboard stuff in the locker room.

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Motor guys are interesting but that doesn't necessarily translate to good play.

It goes back to that old adage, would you rather have someone who works hard or works smart. Not saying that someone with a great motor isn't a good player just that it's not always a guarantee that what he is doing is actually bring a positive effect to the game.

Whutchu talkin' bout Nick?

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 10:13:12 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Things like motor and playing smart are why I like the RPM stat, which just tries to answer the question, "Are you having a positive impact when you're on the court?".  How well it answers the question is open for debate of course.