Author Topic: Would you trade our both of our 2015 1sts for Noel or Embiid?  (Read 11980 times)

Re: Would you trade our both of our 2015 1sts for Noel or Embiid?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
For those not paying attention.... Since the all-star break, Nerlens Noel (a raw 20 year old coming off a serious injury) has been a Top 20 player in the league statistically.  Averaging 13 points, 10 rebounds, 2.6 blocks, 2.6 steals, 1.6 assists on 48% shooting and 69% from the line in 32.6mpg.   For a player of his age/experience, he's putting up historic defensive stats.   This Grantland article last week nailed it:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nerlens-noel-the-other-rookie-of-the-year/  ... Elite big men (especially those with dominant defensive tendencies) are probably the most valuable assets in the league beyond a player who can efficiently drop 30+ per night.  FYI, Anthony Davis averaged 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks and 1.2 steals as a rookie.  Anyone paying attention knew Davis was on a path to superstardom.   Noel, while certainly more raw offensively, is on a similar path.   

If only we lived in a world where you could get a player like that for a lowly 10-15 pick + a borderline 2nd rounder.    Wouldn't that be nice?  Unfortunately, in the real world that's not possible.  So I'd guess that anyone who responds to this thread with "nah" is out of touch and is probably still campaigning against Boston trading Rajon Rondo for Andre Drummond.

As for Joel Embiid, everything I read about the kid is that he has the potential to be a dominant player on both ends of the court.   He was widely believed by scouts to be the best prospect pre-injury and many still felt he should have been the #1 pick.   Injury or no injury, the idea that Philly would shy away from the Embiid "gamble" in favor of taking on a couple crap-shoot draft picks is ridiculous.   

Let's stop with these threads.  If we're getting one of Philly's franchise prospects, it's going to take a lot more than you guys imagine.   Sure, if we are talking about a top 5 pick, we might get our foot in the door, but we're currently sitting on picks #11 and #26.  With a package like that, a guy like Nik Stauskas is more in your price range.   Or maybe you can trade up a few picks and take someone at #7-9

This. Hinkie is smart, he knows what his assets are worth. Almost any other GM is more liable to getting fleeced by Ainge.

Much as I love Smart, I'd trade him plus both our firsts for either Embiid or Noel, without hesitation. But Hinkie probably wouldn't.

I agree to an extent. Assuming they believe in Embiid's potential, I think Smart and 2 first rounders sounds right and they might still say no, but in my honest opinion, Smart and 2 first for Noel might be overpay.

I don't think neither Noel or Embiid can play PF, and they are both centers. When Embiid does play next year, is he starting center? or backup to Noel, or vice versa?

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 961
I don't think the Sixers would have any interest in Sully.  Besides the fact that he is short, slow and unathletic, he's going into his contract year and they wouldn't want to have to overpay to keep him.

Shh, don't tell anyone!  ;D

Realistically I'd like people to take a hard look at Myles Turner. Noel and Turner have exactly the same length but Turner is almost 40lbs heavier.....and Turner is not a fatty.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/stats/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Myles-Turner-72850/stats/

Turner is also a much better shooter. 84% ft

With the understanding that there's a reason that I'm an internet jockey and not an NBA scout, I just haven't seen anything that turns me on to Turner.

Mike

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny is not giving up Smart for Noel or Embiid

I think 2 2015 1sts for Noel or Embiid would be a good trade for both teams if the 76ers draft Towns , Okafor or WCS.  76ers can't develop all three properly at the same time. By the time you wait and see which 2 you want to keep, the value of that third player might drop. Just like what happened with Kantar

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Nope

But I would trade both picks for Cousins.

Yes yes and yes

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
For those not paying attention.... Since the all-star break, Nerlens Noel (a raw 20 year old coming off a serious injury) has been a Top 20 player in the league statistically.  Averaging 13 points, 10 rebounds, 2.6 blocks, 2.6 steals, 1.6 assists on 48% shooting and 69% from the line in 32.6mpg.   For a player of his age/experience, he's putting up historic defensive stats.   This Grantland article last week nailed it:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nerlens-noel-the-other-rookie-of-the-year/  ... Elite big men (especially those with dominant defensive tendencies) are probably the most valuable assets in the league beyond a player who can efficiently drop 30+ per night.  FYI, Anthony Davis averaged 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks and 1.2 steals as a rookie.  Anyone paying attention knew Davis was on a path to superstardom.   Noel, while certainly more raw offensively, is on a similar path.   

If only we lived in a world where you could get a player like that for a lowly 10-15 pick + a borderline 2nd rounder.    Wouldn't that be nice?  Unfortunately, in the real world that's not possible.  So I'd guess that anyone who responds to this thread with "nah" is out of touch and is probably still campaigning against Boston trading Rajon Rondo for Andre Drummond.

As for Joel Embiid, everything I read about the kid is that he has the potential to be a dominant player on both ends of the court.   He was widely believed by scouts to be the best prospect pre-injury and many still felt he should have been the #1 pick.   Injury or no injury, the idea that Philly would shy away from the Embiid "gamble" in favor of taking on a couple crap-shoot draft picks is ridiculous.   

Let's stop with these threads.  If we're getting one of Philly's franchise prospects, it's going to take a lot more than you guys imagine.   Sure, if we are talking about a top 5 pick, we might get our foot in the door, but we're currently sitting on picks #11 and #26.  With a package like that, a guy like Nik Stauskas is more in your price range.   Or maybe you can trade up a few picks and take someone at #7-9

This. Hinkie is smart, he knows what his assets are worth. Almost any other GM is more liable to getting fleeced by Ainge.

Much as I love Smart, I'd trade him plus both our firsts for either Embiid or Noel, without hesitation. But Hinkie probably wouldn't.

I agree to an extent. Assuming they believe in Embiid's potential, I think Smart and 2 first rounders sounds right and they might still say no, but in my honest opinion, Smart and 2 first for Noel might be overpay.

I don't think neither Noel or Embiid can play PF, and they are both centers. When Embiid does play next year, is he starting center? or backup to Noel, or vice versa?

I've been preaching this for awhile. In today's NBA they won't be able to thrive as the twin towers defense down there. They don't spread the floor enough on offense, and they won't be able to guard stretch 4's out on the perimeter, which seems to be where every team is headed now. I think they'd be absolutely stupid to take Okafor already having Embiid and Noel. Towns can play the 4, so they'd be smart to pick him and dangle Noel for either a wing or guard type. Imagine if they could trade Noel for a top 7 pick or so and pick Johnson, Mudiay, or Russell along with picking up Towns with their pick. A Johnson, Towns, Embiid frontcourt could be potentially devastating in a couple of years as long as they develop them properly and everyone stays healthy (coughEmbiidcough).

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I've been preaching this for awhile. In today's NBA they won't be able to thrive as the twin towers defense down there. They don't spread the floor enough on offense, and they won't be able to guard stretch 4's out on the perimeter, which seems to be where every team is headed now. I think they'd be absolutely stupid to take Okafor already having Embiid and Noel. Towns can play the 4, so they'd be smart to pick him and dangle Noel for either a wing or guard type. Imagine if they could trade Noel for a top 7 pick or so and pick Johnson, Mudiay, or Russell along with picking up Towns with their pick. A Johnson, Towns, Embiid frontcourt could be potentially devastating in a couple of years as long as they develop them properly and everyone stays healthy (coughEmbiidcough).

For the reasons you mentioned

If they draft Okafor, they would want to keep Noel
If they draft Towns , Noel or Embiid
If they draft WCS, they would want to keep embiid

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

the only person that did this suggested he wouldnt do it bc he'd rather have demarcus cousins.

thats even more far fetched than Philly trading us any of their guys, but I dont think it's crazy to say 'nah' to Noel if Cousins is on the table, in fact its downright reasonable

Not that any of these dream scenarios is gonna happen, so why argue about it anyway
Greg

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I haven't followed WCS much, but can he play the PF, or is he strictly a C? But nonetheless, them having a top 2 pick, allows them to choose between Okafor and Towns, which makes either Noel or both Noel and Embiid available. Personally, I want to try if we can get Noel. I think his potential and the fact that he is a hometown kid makes him an athlete who is easy to cheer for.

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

I haven't followed WCS much, but can he play the PF, or is he strictly a C? But nonetheless, them having a top 2 pick, allows them to choose between Okafor and Towns, which makes either Noel or both Noel and Embiid available. Personally, I want to try if we can get Noel. I think his potential and the fact that he is a hometown kid makes him an athlete who is easy to cheer for.

I think he would want to play here, because he's said several times that he likes to play in Boston being his hometown. That doesn't give him leverage or anything, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 06:02:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Probably for Noel  ....I might

Not without seeing Embiid play at least A full YEAR. uninjured would I do a deal.

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:13 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Now that it looks like we might be out of the playoffs again, I don't know.  If we had a top 3 pick, I wouldn't do it.  If we were able to get Hezonja and Christian Wood with our pick at 9 and the Clip's pick, I wouldn't do it.  If we were trading Kaminsky and LaVert, I'd do it in a heart beat.  I would be a draft day decision on that one.

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Philly hangs up the phone. 0% chance they give up Embiid and if they do thats a bad sign. Also, their spacing would be bad, but Embiid can shoot a bit and Noel can absolutely cover stretch fours. I expect them to take Russel or Mudiay with their first pick.

If they take Mudiay they may look to move Noel for something like KO, Young, our #1, Clips pick because Mudiay cant shoot either and they could package our 2 picks with their other ones to get back into the top 7 to grab Hezonja or Johnson and theyd only do this if Kelly starts lighting it up as a shooter/scorer and they are 100% confident in Embiid. 1 of these events is very unlikely.

Which would you rather have
Noel or Kelly Olynyk, James Young, Stanley Johnson/Hezonja/Winslow
Id rather the KO package but thats only cus I really like all 3 of those wings. I can see the argument in favor of Noel.

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
For Embiid? Without thinking. For Noel? Nah.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I could see Hinkie making a trade with one of the two at some point, especially if they draft Okafor for some reason, but there is no urgency for them to do it right away. If he won the lottery I could see him trading down to #3 or #4 for Towns/Russell/Mudiay instead of Okafor.

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If you're Philly, are you trading Nerlens for the #7 pick?  I can't imagine I would.  Philly certainly isn't.

I was just giggling at how funny it would be if the Celtics had drafted a star big man prospect like Embiid or Noel and then traded one of them away for the #11 and #26 picks.  I imagine we'd riot.

If I'm Philly, I take best player available, even if it's Okafor, and then have them split the 96 minutes at the PF/C roles (32 minutes per night each).   Let it play out for a season.  If all three end up as good as expected, they'll have infinite options.  Instead of giving up a can't-miss superstar prospect for a crapshoot #7-11 pick, they can just trade one of those guys for an all-star at a position of need.  That makes WAAAY more sense.  Elite big men are the most valuable assets in the league.  If they decide to move one of those guys, they'll basically have their choice of whatever they want.  Want a Jeff Teague or something? Done.   Want a DeMar Derozan?  Done.  Everyone in the league will line up to trade for the "expendable" 19-21 year old superstar big man prospect and if Boston is offering #11 + #26, they are gonna be way off in the back of the line.