Author Topic: I already like Marcus Smart better than Rondo as our starting PG  (Read 35631 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1. Marcus Smart is a better defender than Rondo.  Rondo once was an excellent thief but was only an avg man to man defender and can get overwhelmed by bigger guards. With Smart you will rarely have to worry about this problem. Smart is an excellent thief also

2. Rondo is a better offensive player, better passer. But Smart is no slouch. He has better passing skills than most give him credit for and i have already seen a better jump shot from him than i have ever seen from Rondo. Smart has 3 pt range and is gaining rapid confidence in his shot

3. Smart is younger, more durable.  With him being younger, Stevens can mold him into the type of PG he wants out on the floor.  Rondo will not listen to Stevens half the time.  Rondo now having to be cautious of how he plays won't go full out like Smart can in addition

4. I know it's only 2 pre season games.  But i have seen enough to know what i like.  I like how Smart does not pound the ball, that he can switch to having a "sg" mentality and let other guys  who have very good passing skills also be facilitators. Just confuse the opposing defense ,  instead of having one guy hold/dribble the ball.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:39:05 PM by triboy16f »

Re: I already like Marcus Smart better than Rondo as our starting PG
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
"Marcus Smart is a better defender than Rondo"
We have yet to determine this. not saying its not true, but rondo is a 2-time all defensive 1st team and 2 time all defensive 2nd team player. not too many players can claim that.

"Smart is younger, more durable."
We dont know the durability thing yet but maybe.

I think the better argument is VALUE. does smart bring more talent per dollar on his rookie contract than rondo does for his own contract?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:27:01 PM by Waew »

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
two preseason games, one where smart didn't score a point, and you are ready to ship rondo out.  classic over-reaction, classic jumping the gun.  just amazing.  smh

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
"Marcus Smart is a better defender than Rondo"
We have yet to determine this. not saying its not true, but rondo is a 2-time all defensive 1st team and 2 time all defensive 2nd team player. not too many players can claim that.

"Smart is younger, more durable."
We dont know the durability thing yet but maybe.

Did Rondo make 2 time all defensive team bc of his steal and rebound #s or was it bc he was an excellent man to man/multi position capable defender??

From what i can remember, Rondo cheated enough times to get those steals.  And if he got burnt luckily he was supported by a tremendous team that really took defense seriously.   Alot of the rebounds he got, KG could of just stood there in the defensive end and it would of fell onto his laps. Yes Rondo did get some timely rebounds.  Yes he got some very important steals. But for me, i rather have a guy that is an excellent man to man defender 1st.  AB for all that he has done, only has a 2nd all defensive team under his belt.  Tony Allen didn't even make the team last season. Nobody really knows what standards are used to make this team.

For me Rondo's true defensive capability or willingness to play hard defense came in the 2012-2013 season , when KG/PP lost a step. Rondo again was just cheating, not playing proper man to man D.  He got burnt this time bc there weren't guys that could bail him out.   Guys like Bruce Bowen, AB, Tony Allen and now Marcus Smart are considered true perimeter defensive mvp's imo.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
two preseason games, one where smart didn't score a point, and you are ready to ship rondo out.  classic over-reaction, classic jumping the gun.  just amazing.  smh

And yet Smart was a key reason why we won the game. Won by 20 by playing suffocating defense in the 2nd half. Like Stevens has said, Smart does alot of things/dirty work to help a team win that doesn't show up in the boxscore.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:01:53 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »

Offline smoogv1

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0

yep ^^^  i think people have forgotten how good rondo is and how dominant he can be.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481

would that be the 'thinker' or the 'stinker'?

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 12:20:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yep ^^^  i think people have forgotten how good rondo is and how dominant he can be.

Yeah, surrounded by three future hofs.

Steve kerr, Jim paxon also looked good playing alongside legends

Another question is , in crucial parts of the game who do you put out on the floor?? Rondo or smart?  You want the opposing pg to have an easier time getting through the defensive set making it hard on everyone else on your team or you want a guy like smart to take care of business vs pgs and prevent the opposing team from getting set up properly?

Who do have confidence will do a better job slowing down guys like westbrook, drose, paul, parker?

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 12:24:43 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

Offline gocelts34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I wouldn't say Smart is better by any stretch but I do feel like hes the better fit for this team going forward.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 12:26:59 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Let's hold our horses, lol...

Not ready to rank PGs or the team just yet. Let's come back in a few months and just enjoy the season.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Well I guess it depends on what you're looking for. A younger movement or rebuilding for a championship? I think Smart is a more promising prospect at SG imo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
When asked what he likes about Smart, Bradley said, "He doesn't gamble."

In other words, he's not Rondo.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 12:35:52 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When asked what he likes about Smart, Bradley said, "He doesn't gamble."

In other words, he's not Rondo.

I would take Rondo over Smart any given day... And I'm sure 29 other GM's would agree too.

If that is what you're implying that Smart> Rondo.

I still think Smart is best suited as a SG that defends the stronger or quicker man, cuts, finishes/drives, and takes the open shot while playing solid defense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different