Author Topic: why Jeff Green is worth keeping  (Read 11404 times)

why Jeff Green is worth keeping
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Ok so  I maybe out of my mind by saying this but I think Jeff Green is on the cusp of having a monster year this year. Averaging 23-25 points a game. You have to remember he is going to be the number  one scoring threat. With a healthy Rondo for a year a healthy Bradley Smart will be developing. The number one thing that is going to drive him will be his upcoming contract. If he can stay focused we could be in for a monster year out of Uncle Jeff.

Re: why Jeff Green is worth keeping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think you are a few years late in making this prediction.  There is so much evidence now that 23-25 points is just never going to happen.  And wasn't he supposed to be the number one scoring threat last year also?

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:34 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I call Jeff Green, Mr. October.
Because he plays every game like it's preseason.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »

fitzhickey

This happens every offseason I swear

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 05:54:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Same guys thought Gerald Green would own.   Some guys just do not have the fire between the ears.  Uncle Sleepy is one of those guys.  He has the drive of a sloth but every once in a while his talent emerges.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:04:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
 ;D  ;D ;D ;D

Uncle sleepy ?????

Funny ..and true

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Same guys thought Gerald Green would own.   Some guys just do not have the fire between the ears.  Uncle Sleepy is one of those guys.  He has the drive of a sloth but every once in a while his talent emerges.

Not only that I just don't think he has the talent to do it consistently.  He is not strong enough in the post, average ball handler, average footwork(has a hard time driving past guys unless if it's a straight line drive), average passer, and poor rebounder.  He can be a 3rd or 4th option on most teams, but not a 1, and probably not a 2nd option.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
18-20 pts at 48 fg% with 7 rebs and most would be happy. Seems he is stuck at 14-17ppg 43 fG % 5 rebs.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:12 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Initially, I was in the Jeff Green's gonna take over The Truth's entire scoring load. Then I came to realize that it was an unrealistic expectation. He may have great athleticism, good shooting, and even solid D, but 16ppg is his ceiling, and I'm fine with that now.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's worth keeping because he provides decent scoring and defense on a fair contract. He's never going to be a star, or a guy you can count on to be our leading scorer every night, but for how he's paid (basically, as a good third option) he's a pretty good value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm as big a Jeff supporter as there is, and even I have given up hope for Jeff to be averaging an efficient 22-23 pts per night.

As mentioned above, 18 ppg with better efficiency and better rebounding is what I am realistically hoping to happen.

19 ppg and 6 rbs I think is the realistic best case scenario at this point. The good news is he's been durable since the heart procedure, and hopefully his durability will continue with increased stamina as he gets further away from the heart operation.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if we had 2-3 much better players on the roster who could take the focus off Green on offense, Green would be considered a solid player for the team on a decent deal.  unfortunately for the C's, and Green, this isn't the case. 

I wouldn't trade him for scraps but I'd explore whatever deals are out there to bring in assets that are either young players with upside or more picks to be used in deals.  granted, we're swimming in picks right now so young players with upside would be preferable.  I doubt Green brings back an all-star regardless of what he's packaged with.

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
He's worth keeping because he provides decent scoring and defense on a fair contract. He's never going to be a star, or a guy you can count on to be our leading scorer every night, but for how he's paid (basically, as a good third option) he's a pretty good value.

Basically, this.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

This^.

People hold Green to the expectation that he's going to average 22-23 points per night need to check their expectations with the reality that that is extremely rare in the league each year -- just a tiny handful of players.  And it's never going to happen for a guy who is used as a '3rd option'.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
In terms of Celtics players most likely to make a substantial leap this season, I wouldn't place Green anywhere near the top.  I'm thinking something like this:
1. Sully and Oly
3. Bradley
4. Smart (growth throughout the year)
5. Zeller
6. Vitor
7. Young (growth throughout the year)
8. Bass and Green

At the top of the list I think the chances of substantial improvement are around 50-50.

Left out Rondo and Turner who I think both have good chances of being substantially better than last season, but not necessarily substantially better than in previous seasons.