Author Topic: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off  (Read 21628 times)

Re: This whiny self entitled fan base is starting to tick me off
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 01:34:03 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Still don't know why we traded Rodney Rogers.....that guy was a STUD.

Think he left as a free agent.  I don't miss the Gaston Jr. days.

You're right, good catch.

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

We had some memorable years back then - even if our team wasn't contenders.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but, since I wasn't watching the Celtics at the time, could I make a thread concerning Joe Johnson, our 'management,' and the team that year, just so that the older and wiser fans like you could explain exactly went down in those days?

Sure, do whatever you want.

From what I remember, the C's decided to trade Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers back then....looking back, of course Joe went on to have some all-star seasons and become a great scorer.

But I don't believe that Joe would've helped that C's team back then the way Rodney Rogers did - which is why I still can't understand why we didn't sign him, like Freshinthehouse pointed out to me.

Rodney brought a Powe-like toughness to our team back then...and gave our bench a spark.

I just don't miss the C's decision-making back then....just baffling. We all may not agree with DA on some moves, but Man our team is in good hands with Ainge.

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »

Offline Leonard Longfellow

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I registered for the CelticsBlog forums a year and a half ago when I registered with SBNation and CelticsBlog. I've been commenting on CB ever since, but I never bothered to activate my forums account. That is until now, after reading this topic which made me smile.

As of late I have been really annoyed by the people coming on there just to spew nonsense trade proposals that would make actual GM's laugh and people blustering about how they know exactly what Rondo's motives are when the truth of the matter is, he is too unpredictable and always has a poker face.

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2014, 01:49:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

That guy went on to have a few productive seasons after that...seemed to be a good guy and hard worker, too - with no problems coming off the bench. I remember him playing well for us right after he was traded for Joe Johnson and we made our post-season push that year.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but, since I wasn't watching the Celtics at the time, could I make a thread concerning Joe Johnson, our 'management,' and the team that year, just so that the older and wiser fans like you could explain exactly went down in those days?

From what I remember, the C's decided to trade Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers back then....looking back, of course Joe went on to have some all-star seasons and become a great scorer.

But I don't believe that Joe would've helped that C's team back then the way Rodney Rogers did - which is why I still can't understand why we didn't sign him, like Freshinthehouse pointed out to me.

Rodney brought a Powe-like toughness to our team back then...and gave our bench a spark.

I just don't miss the C's decision-making back then....just baffling. We all may not agree with DA on some moves, but Man our team is in good hands with Ainge.

Okay, thanks.  I'll make it soon, then.  Obviously, we all know how inept Chris Wallace is, but with Rodgers, did we just make him a terrible offer, or was it something else that made him leave?

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 02:17:54 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Okay, thanks.  I'll make it soon, then.  Obviously, we all know how inept Chris Wallace is, but with Rodgers, did we just make him a terrible offer, or was it something else that made him leave?

I wish I could remember, lol...

I don't believe we made him ANY offer - someone with more insight please enlighten me. If I remember correctly, we just let him walk. My assumption right here is a bit crazy - that we would trade Joe Johnson for Rodney, have RR make us a better team during our 2002 playoff push, and then our management back then wouldn't even make him an offer - I believe.

I remember our team taking NJ to 6 games but losing - being a bit overmatched by Kenyon Martin Prime and JKidd. NJ then went on to be crushed by Shaq and Kobe Prime.

The Green-tinted glasses in me still want to believe that BOS would've upset the Lakers in a Finals matchup back then...after all, 'Toine made it rain in one memorable game for us vs LA in the regular season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU

Yep...I still believe that David could've taken down Goliath back then - all over again....even in a 7-game series. Prime Shaq and Prime Kobe was no match for Celtics Mystique. 'Toine and Pierce carried BOS in that game...'Toine had a triple double and Pierce went to the line 20 times (made 16) and had 33 himself:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200202190LAL.html

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2014, 02:30:30 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I get angry every time I think of John Y. Brown... ;)

Whenever I think of Gaston, I get mad.

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 02:32:17 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

Another TP for this thread. It's true. The complaints around here sound like the stuff i hear from Laker fans on local radio in LA, or from Yankee fans on national radio.

With winning comes the belief in being entitled to more winning.

Rooting for a loser isn't fun. But i like were this team is slowly going. This feels light years better than the Thanksdad Gaston, ML Carr and Pitino eras.

Absolutely.  Superior ownership and superior GM...

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2014, 02:34:16 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The Celtics let Rondey Rogers walk and made a short term cost saving trade for Vin Baker. Many believe that Gaston forced Wallace to make this deal for those short term savings as they were on the verge of selling the team at that time.

Basically, bringing in Baker is it for Boston for years to come. The Celtics may avoid paying the luxury tax next season -- they're perilously close -- but Baker, Walker and Pierce eat up more than $34 million of the $40.27 million cap, and the Celtics' other major players -- Battie, Tony Delk, Kedrick Brown, Eric Williams and Shammond Williams -- add another $15 million. I can't imagine Gaston will give the green light to either re-sign Rodney Rogers or use the $4.5 million exception to bring in someone else.
http://a.espncdn.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1408767.html

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:41:15 AM by JSD »

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
We're starting to sound like a bunch of Yankee or Laker fans nowadays days. Crying about not getting Love, whining about Bradley's contract, just negative negative negative. "Wahhhh this team doesn't have established players" Is this the same fan-base that was torn over giving Big Al up for KG? We won't know what we have here for years, and these fallacies that you can't build a championship team without LeBron James or Love need to be squashed. 3 of the 4 teams that just battled it out for their respective conference built their teams through the draft, and one of those teams didn't even have a top ten pick! The eventual champion didn't have a top ten pick under 35 years old! End rant.

Another TP for this thread. It's true. The complaints around here sound like the stuff i hear from Laker fans on local radio in LA, or from Yankee fans on national radio.

Rooting for a loser isn't fun. But i like were this team is slowly going. This feels light years better than the Thanksdad Gaston, ML Carr and Pitino eras.

As an aside, can you imagine what Boston sports radio will be like in the post-Belichik, post-Brady era? It won't be fun.

I remember Boston sports radio before Brady and Belichik. It was better.

I actually really like Felger and Mazz and the Adam Jones show. Its pretty entertaining stuff, which is what I want on the radio. I'd prefer to keep the serious discussion on forums like this.

That's cool for you. If I want to watch monkeys fling excrement at each other and anyone within range, I usually go to the zoo.

Good idea, but it's easier, and less expensive, to view the proceedings in Congress on C-SPAN... ;D

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
The Celtics let Rondey Rogers walk and made a short term cost saving trade for Vin Baker. Many believe that Gaston forced Wallace to make this deal for those short term savings as they were on the verge of selling the team at that time.

Basically, bringing in Baker is it for Boston for years to come. The Celtics may avoid paying the luxury tax next season -- they're perilously close -- but Baker, Walker and Pierce eat up more than $34 million of the $40.27 million cap, and the Celtics' other major players -- Battie, Tony Delk, Kedrick Brown, Eric Williams and Shammond Williams -- add another $15 million. I can't imagine Gaston will give the green light to either re-sign Rodney Rogers or use the $4.5 million exception to bring in someone else.
http://a.espncdn.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1408767.html

Good find, thx

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2014, 02:53:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Long story short: Rick Pitino is a bad person who does bad things.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

As an aside, can you imagine what Boston sports radio will be like in the post-Belichik, post-Brady era? It won't be fun.

I remember Boston sports radio before Brady and Belichik. It was better.

I actually really like Felger and Mazz and the Adam Jones show. Its pretty entertaining stuff, which is what I want on the radio. I'd prefer to keep the serious discussion on forums like this.

That's cool for you. If I want to watch monkeys fling excrement at each other and anyone within range, I usually go to the zoo.

Good idea, but it's easier, and less expensive, to view the proceedings in Congress on C-SPAN... ;D

Oh, yeah, this is the 21st century. We have options.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2014, 07:17:52 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Yea, I'm annoyed by insecure people who get super defensive if you even dare to suggest we should trade Rondo, too.

Huh?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Yea, I'm annoyed by insecure people who get super defensive if you even dare to suggest we should trade Rondo, too.

Huh?

You know..the funny thing with Rondo is - compared to the supposed Top PGs (CP3, RW, Lilliard)....is there REALLY any difference?

CP3 is great player and all that - but isn't it time to scrutinize him a bit more?

The man has had David West..Tyson Chandler...Blake Griffin....Got Doc Rivers handed to him.....he's had ALL these players in their primes...now has one of the best Coaches in the game in Doc...still hasn't reached the WCF much less the NBA Finals.

I saw one small article after the Clips got eliminated by OKC back in May on ESPN that started to question CP3's legacy after that...

I'll give CP3 a small pass after the DTS debacle, but pretty soon the rubber has to meet the road....

All things considered - I'm glad we have Rondo...and I hope Danny keeps him and builds around him - like he did with Pierce.

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well for us folks who were part of the internet sports culture from from 1997-2007, it's old hat.  We're use to rooting for an irrelevant dumpy franchise with mediocre young stars and no hope of contending. 

For folks who jumped on the bandwagon in 2007 and rode the high of our micro-dynasty for 3.5 years (followed by the extended victory lap that took place until 2013),  they seem to think the Celtics should be able to snap their fingers and be important again.  It's not happening.  This is going to take several years.  Strap in and enjoy the process.  It was kinda fun rooting for the likes of Delonte West and Tony Allen... irrationally hoping that Gerald Green could become a franchise player...  And it'll be fun rooting for the likes of Marcus Banks and Kelly Olynyk... irrationally hoping that James  Young can be a franchise player.   We might stumble into something eventually.

It's Marcus Smart.
Oh my bad.
Rooting for Marcus Banks could never be fun :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Long story short: Rick Pitino is a bad person who does bad things.

He was used to total control in college.   So he was very inpatient in the NBA.   Soured on guys really quick and traded them for bums.  Tried to use his basketball system in the pros.   If a guy did not fit he got rid of them.  Trouble is it was a college system and guys didn't always buy into all the ra ra stuff.   Ended up trading Joe Johnson and Chauncey Billups for peanuts and set us back for years.   The team then had a bunch of ex-UK players like Walter, McCarty and Delk.  But they were not that good.  Did a little better once they got Jim O'Brien coaching but still not a good team.

In short, Pitino, is next to the dictionary by Peter Principle.  He rose to a level beyond his competence and it hurt us.