Author Topic: Lebrons deal is only for 2 years, with an opt out after this year  (Read 4702 times)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
So ESPN can continue the 'What will Lebron do?' circus indefinitely.  Yippee. 

Buy the replica jerseys cavs fans, not the authentic.
Greg

Re: Lebrons deal is only for 2 years, with an opt out after this year
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Lebron said in his letter he wont go anywhere except cleveland. theres no point in leaving, it wouldnt make him happy as he said.

he's doing this to maximize salary. the goal of re-signing with the Cavs before the 2016-17 season when a new television deal is expected to create a large jump in value of the maximum contract.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
i think he's doing this to decide whether he wants to take a paycut pay raise after that.

LeBron's simply making a smart business move. TV deals may potentially see the NBA's cap being lifted even more by 2016, where LeBron can then sign an even more lucrative contract.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
i think he's doing this to decide whether he wants to take a paycut pay raise after that.

LeBron's simply making a smart business move. TV deals may potentially see the NBA's cap being lifted even more by 2016, where LeBron can then sign an even more lucrative contract.
correct. i editted after reading and it make sense.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
Lebron said in his letter he wont go anywhere except cleveland. theres no point in leaving, it wouldnt make him happy as he said.

he's doing this to maximize salary. the goal of re-signing with the Cavs before the 2016-17 season when a new television deal is expected to create a large jump in value of the maximum contract.

I fully expect him to retire a Cavalier.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Is LeBron's max contract not tied to cap? A fixed percentage rather than fixed sum.

Higher cap = max contract increases proportionally with it.

Is that correct?

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
The deal is designed to allow him to get more money once the cap goes up significantly in 2 years. He clearly states that he is committed to the Cavs long term.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
Is LeBron's max contract not tied to cap? A fixed percentage rather than fixed sum.

Is that correct?
the contracts are straight numerical figures. they are fixed by ink.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:01:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

Is that correct?

I believe max contracts are increased proportionally, but not those that were already signed before the max goes up.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i understand all those points, but there were also very compelling reasons for why he wouldnt leave Miami or why he wouldnt leave Cleveland in 2010.

I'm sure it's most likely he'll stay but if that team ends up being a dumpster fire whether it be the rookie coach, injuries, or whatever, you dont think hes got it in the back of his mind that he can just take off again.  ESPN will eat this stuff up, no matter what the angle is, thats the most irritating part of it for me I guess.
Greg

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Is that correct?

You are correct. Maximum salaries are 25%, 30%, or 35% of the maximum salary cap, depending on how many years of experience the player has. Obviously LeBron fills into the 35% category. For reference, this past year's jump from ~$58M to ~$63M increased LeBron's potential max contract from $20.3M per year to $22.05M. ESPN's article (linked below) suggests that the cap may jump all the way to $80M in 2016, where LeBron could potentially take in as much as $28M per year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11207703/lebron-james-deal-cleveland-cavaliers-2-years-421-million

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

This is accurate

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no way then the Cavs will give up Wiggins for Love then

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So ESPN can continue the 'What will Lebron do?' circus indefinitely.  Yippee. 

Buy the replica jerseys cavs fans, not the authentic.

If I have to listen to this crap about him again I will explode!!

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 06:34:29 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

This is accurate

But not detailed. There's an opt out NEXT year. That's huge. That had nothing to do with leveraging the cap and everything to do with leveraging Gilbert.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.