Author Topic: Danny turned nothing into something  (Read 6824 times)

Re: Danny turned nothing into something
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:15 PM »

Offline craigmaque

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Really smart move by DA. Looking at the FA's this offseason (James, Bosh, Melo, Wade, etc.), it was almost innevitable that some team would need to shed salary at some point. He was patient and waited for things to play out, and got a nice  deal. Great job.
"Success Ts A Choice".........Choose wisely.

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Wyc deserves some credit for this deal as well.  Many owners would have let the trade exception expire and saved the money.  Wyc is willing to pay Thornton his $8m+ salary to get Zeller and a future pick and the payroll is close to $80m for a rebuilding team.  It's great to not have a cheap owner.

It's a lot harder for owners to agree to do this if it guarantees the team will play luxury tax.

But of course, in this case, because Bogans' contract is non-guaranteed (until 5 pm Jan 7 at which THIS season would become guaranteed), they can easily, at any time before that, shed 5.3M off the books in order to drop below the LT threshold (which should be around 77M, I think?).

So long as they are below the LT threshold at the end of the season, they can avoid the tax.

Since it may still come in handy to facilitate some other deal, I expect they'll keep Bogans on the roster up until then (Jan 7) unless a deal manifests earlier that would make use of his contract.   In the mean time, it would suck paying him to play golf and he would cost a roster spot, though.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 382
I just can't believe that we actually Used the TPE....thought for sure it would expire.

We just gotta hope now---that Love's Agent is gonna twist the arm of Saunders---and get him here ASAP--!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.