Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2014  (Read 192028 times)

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
BTW, Y they no bring Benteke? Is he injured?
Ahh, that is a bummer. Torn achilles.

Benteke > Lukaku

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 05:10:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
France will win the World Cup. That squad is sneaky good.

Yep, you heard it here first.

Yeah, I have been pretty disappointed with Deschamps' continued refusal to consider his team as even a dark horse candidate in the World Cup.

There is loads of talent in that team. Very good keeper in Lloris. Strong CBs in Mangala, Varane, Sakho and Koscielny. Evra is still a good player. Not wild about the RB Debuchy though. The talent in midfield with Pogba, Cabaye and Matuidi is fantastic. Ribery and Valbuena down the flanks. Excellent. Benzema up front. A bit inconsistent but a fabulous talent. Players like Grenier, Sissoko and Griezmann off the bench who can come in and change the flow of games off the bench.

There is just so much to like about that team. Genuine balance. Multiple creative passers. Multiple scoring threats. Quality defense. That to me is a team that has a chance (not a favourite but a darkhorse) of winning the tournament.

Evra had a disastrous season for ManU - did you not view any of his "performances" this campaign?  Digne is a fine young player, but he has very little experience at this level.

Ribery is being assessed for a back injury.  At this point, it is uncertain whether he will
be available for group stage fixtures.

I disagree about Evra. While Evra may not be the player he once was, I thought he rebounded well last season and ended up having a fairly good season for United. One of the few who did sp for them. I think he gets too much criticism and is being written off too soon. Has another year or two of high level football in him. I think he'll do a good job for France.

That is bad news about Ribery. I knew he didn't finish the season in the best of condition or form but I didn't know he was a doubt heading into World Cup. That would be a devastating loss for France.

Replace him with Greizman. Problem solved. ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
My dark horse is Italy.  Balotelli, Pirlo, De Rossi, Chiellini, Aquilani, Barzagli, Candreva, Buffon, Ranocchia....they have a solid squad that is a nice mix of old and young.  I guess I don't see them winning it, but I don't see any of the dark horses winning it.  I think they're going to do better than you expect, though.

Also, is there a good site to see what the projected starting 11 and formation will be for each squad?  June 2nd was the deadline and I am not finding them neatly laid out anywhere.  I basically have to get them all from news paper articles.  Bleacher Report is a no go, too

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 06:13:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
My dark horse is Italy.  Balotelli, Pirlo, De Rossi, Chiellini, Aquilani, Barzagli, Candreva, Buffon, Ranocchia....they have a solid squad that is a nice mix of old and young.  I guess I don't see them winning it, but I don't see any of the dark horses winning it.  I think they're going to do better than you expect, though.

Also, is there a good site to see what the projected starting 11 and formation will be for each squad?  June 2nd was the deadline and I am not finding them neatly laid out anywhere.  I basically have to get them all from news paper articles.  Bleacher Report is a no go, too

I really like Italy's squad too.

I also really liked Marcello Lippi's recent comments about the team where he said the psychological profile if this Italy team was similar to his 2006 World Cup winning side. I thought Lippi was right on the money on that comment. I love the experience of this team.

* Buffon, Pirlo and De Rossi all part of that 2006 team.
* Prandelli has been there for four years now. Got the team playing with a new style, a new identity, that has been firmly ingrained in the players.
* The collective experience of the squad is fantastic ... pretty much the same team that went to the Finals in the European Championships two years ago.
* The grouping of Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci and Buffon at club level at Juventus. Partnerships and understanding so important at the back.
* The individual experience of each player in the squad. The guys already mentioned above. So much experience there. Plus Thiago Motta, who has won the Champions League and has fantastic experience with Inter and PSG. Players like Marchisio and Cassano too. Abate has been around for a number of years now at AC Milan as well.

I just love the mental makeup of that group. In terms of where the players are in their careers and where their team is in their stage of evolution. It is a beautiful time and place for that group of players.

And of course the talent is fantastic too

* I love Italy's backline. I think they have the strongest defense in the tournament.
* The midfield trio of Pirlo flanked by De Rossi and Thiago Motta is incredibly strong. One of the best central midfields in the tournament. De Rossi and Thiago Motta give their defense terrific protection. All three are high quality passers. And Pirlo is one of the finest playmakers on the planet. De Rossi's ability to drop into the back and adapt formations is amazing too. Shame Montolivo got injured the other day. He'll be a loss for them.
* The attack is the area of concern but there is talent there. Balotelli is fantastic when on form. Immobile seems like a very interesting player just entering his prime. Looking forward to seeing more of him with Dortmund next season. Cassano has been up and down his whole career but he is coming off a great season with Parma and is one of the best passers in Europe. Shame about Giuseppe Rossi. He was playing great earlier in the season and would have been a huge asset for Italy. Cerci, I haven't seen play in a few years but he was a great prospect back in the day and apparently had a great season in Torino alongside Immobile. Plus young Insigne who was a standout at last summer's under 21 Euro Championships.

I just love so much about that team. I think it was a great group (emphasis on group).

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
El Sharraway missing is going to hurt, too.  It's annoying that it's not even his injury that kept him from playing, it's that he missed so much time being off with injuries that they didn't think he was in good enough conditioning.  I'm sure AC Milan fans are feeling like we do when Rondo misses the FIBA tournies/Olympics cut - sort of disappointed, but relieved he won't hurt himself over an unrelated tournament.

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Yeah, I have been pretty disappointed with Deschamps' continued refusal to consider his team as even a dark horse candidate in the World Cup.

There is loads of talent in that team. Very good keeper in Lloris. Strong CBs in Mangala, Varane, Sakho and Koscielny. Evra is still a good player. Not wild about the RB Debuchy though. The talent in midfield with Pogba, Cabaye and Matuidi is fantastic. Ribery and Valbuena down the flanks. Excellent. Benzema up front. A bit inconsistent but a fabulous talent. Players like Grenier, Sissoko and Griezmann off the bench who can come in and change the flow of games off the bench.

There is just so much to like about that team. Genuine balance. Multiple creative passers. Multiple scoring threats. Quality defense. That to me is a team that has a chance (not a favourite but a darkhorse) of winning the tournament.

Evra had a disastrous season for ManU - did you not view any of his "performances" this campaign?  Digne is a fine young player, but he has very little experience at this level.

Ribery is being assessed for a back injury.  At this point, it is uncertain whether he will
be available for group stage fixtures.

I disagree about Evra. While Evra may not be the player he once was, I thought he rebounded well last season and ended up having a fairly good season for United. One of the few who did sp for them. I think he gets too much criticism and is being written off too soon. Has another year or two of high level football in him. I think he'll do a good job for France.

That is bad news about Ribery. I knew he didn't finish the season in the best of condition or form but I didn't know he was a doubt heading into World Cup. That would be a devastating loss for France.

He had a DISASTROUS season for United, the fans were up in arms over his inept defending.  There was no question that he would not be retained for next season.  He's too old and now very mistake prone.  Players dribbling right at him skinned him repeatedly and his lapses in concentration resulted in poor positioning time and again.  As a Man City fan, I viewed at least 2/3 of all United matches last season, so I'm not talking out of the side of my neck on this...

Do you know how old he is?  If you really think he's still a top defender, I cannot possibly take anything you post here about football seriously...

Agree 100% about Ribery.  France desperately needs his playmaking ability, especially without Nasri in midfield.  Maybe Valbuena can create some opportunities for them - he's a very underrated player.

Based on the group, etc., France has a clear road to the quarter-finals.  Anything less than that will be considered an abject failure.  Hey, it could be a lot worse - at least that donkey Domenech is nowhere around the national side this time... :)

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 08:06:45 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Good luck with Giroud.  :(

I dont even think he'll start, that Striker spot will surely be Karim Benzema's. Unless they play two up front.

Plus, he played well in Arsenal, being played like a horse too. I think they'll be fine.

But that midfield. Franck Ribery, Paul Pogba, Yohan Bacaye, Blaise Matuidi, Antoine Greizmann. That's got to be on of the best midfield crew in the Cup.
Yeah, Benzema should start. I'm just saying, as an Arsenal fan, Giroud annoyed me very much. As for France, the team's performances have been tumultuous since the 2010 WC. I don't know what to expect.

On another note, I'm not as high on Brazil as some others. They have good depth in the back and in the midfield but their forward, Fred, is meh.

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think that the South American sides have a big advantage playing in Brazil.  They will be familiar with the climate (high heat and humidity).  Maybe this is the tournament that the Argies finally get their stuff together.  Playing next door and with a stacked roster, they will be formidable.  Uruguay also a huge threat.

I agree with Who and Quetzal that Italy should be one of the favorites.  When isn't Italy the best defensive side in any big tournament?  Italy and Spain should thrive in this WC.  The English players are gonna hate conditions in Manaus.  Not looking for much of a run for Germany.  I think it's incredible that 35 year old Klose is the only out-and-out striker for them. 

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I really like Italy's squad too.

I also really liked Marcello Lippi's recent comments about the team where he said the psychological profile if this Italy team was similar to his 2006 World Cup winning side. I thought Lippi was right on the money on that comment. I love the experience of this team.

* Buffon, Pirlo and De Rossi all part of that 2006 team.
* Prandelli has been there for four years now. Got the team playing with a new style, a new identity, that has been firmly ingrained in the players.
* The collective experience of the squad is fantastic ... pretty much the same team that went to the Finals in the European Championships two years ago.
* The grouping of Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci and Buffon at club level at Juventus. Partnerships and understanding so important at the back.
* The individual experience of each player in the squad. The guys already mentioned above. So much experience there. Plus Thiago Motta, who has won the Champions League and has fantastic experience with Inter and PSG. Players like Marchisio and Cassano too. Abate has been around for a number of years now at AC Milan as well.

I just love the mental makeup of that group. In terms of where the players are in their careers and where their team is in their stage of evolution. It is a beautiful time and place for that group of players.

And of course the talent is fantastic too

* I love Italy's backline. I think they have the strongest defense in the tournament.
* The midfield trio of Pirlo flanked by De Rossi and Thiago Motta is incredibly strong. One of the best central midfields in the tournament. De Rossi and Thiago Motta give their defense terrific protection. All three are high quality passers. And Pirlo is one of the finest playmakers on the planet. De Rossi's ability to drop into the back and adapt formations is amazing too. Shame Montolivo got injured the other day. He'll be a loss for them.
* The attack is the area of concern but there is talent there. Balotelli is fantastic when on form. Immobile seems like a very interesting player just entering his prime. Looking forward to seeing more of him with Dortmund next season. Cassano has been up and down his whole career but he is coming off a great season with Parma and is one of the best passers in Europe. Shame about Giuseppe Rossi. He was playing great earlier in the season and would have been a huge asset for Italy. Cerci, I haven't seen play in a few years but he was a great prospect back in the day and apparently had a great season in Torino alongside Immobile. Plus young Insigne who was a standout at last summer's under 21 Euro Championships.

I just love so much about that team. I think it was a great group (emphasis on group).

While I like Italy the USA-soccer-first in me is glad Rossi missed out on yet another Cup. While he's older and a defensive liability I can't help but wish they'd sent Totti there. He can unlock a defense with his passing like very few players around.

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »

fitzhickey

Australia is going to get smacked.

Think Germany might surprise some of you, but the South American teams should have a good series, along with Spain.

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Good luck with Giroud.  :(

I dont even think he'll start, that Striker spot will surely be Karim Benzema's. Unless they play two up front.

Plus, he played well in Arsenal, being played like a horse too. I think they'll be fine.

But that midfield. Franck Ribery, Paul Pogba, Yohan Bacaye, Blaise Matuidi, Antoine Greizmann. That's got to be on of the best midfield crew in the Cup.
Yeah, Benzema should start. I'm just saying, as an Arsenal fan, Giroud annoyed me very much. As for France, the team's performances have been tumultuous since the 2010 WC. I don't know what to expect.

On another note, I'm not as high on Brazil as some others. They have good depth in the back and in the midfield but their forward, Fred, is meh.

Coming from another (newly) Arsenal fan, I thought Giroud did really while being worked like a horse by Wenger.

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Think Germany might surprise some of you, but the South American teams should have a good series, along with Spain.

I love the Socceroos name. That's a great, awesome name for a fanbase.

And yes, Tim Cahill, is really not enough.

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »

fitzhickey

I love the Socceroos name. That's a great, awesome name for a fanbase.

And yes, Tim Cahill, is really not enough.
Great name, shocker of a team.

I'm not a big Socceroos follower, so I don't know if we have a bright future :P

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
The 2022 WC should have been awarded to Australia in the first place...at least it would be been held in the winter, so the blistering Aussie summer heat wouldn't be an issue.  There's going to be a shedload of lawsuits over the selection.  Good thing 2022 is still 8 years away.

I was surprised that Australia qualified this time around.  Where are the Cahills, Vidukas and Kewells of this new generation?

To only receive one solitary vote in the voting process was an absolute slap in the face and I don't think we should bother bidding again any time soon.

As far as qualification goes, after the 2006 World Cup FIFA changed the rules so Australia now only have to win the Oceania group to qualify. Some of our biggest threats are the likes of the Solomon Islands, Fiji and New Zealand. Previously we had to face South American sides to qualify, like when we played Uruguay in the 2005 playoffs. If we still had to go down this path there is no way we would've qualified.

I'm a little surprised myself that nobody has really emerged to replace the old boys. Soccer is only increasing in popularity as a participator sport. Went past my old school the other day and the Aussie Rules football field has been turned into two soccer pitches. Same with most of the schools we played against. :(
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 12:51:31 PM by Adelaide Celt »
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Latest FIFA rankings:

1. Spain

2. Germany

3. Brazil

4. Portugal

5. Argentina

6. Switzerland

7. Uruguay

8. Colombia

9. Italy

10. England

11. Belgium

12. Greece

13. United States

14. Chile

15. Netherlands

16. Ukraine

17. France

18. Croatia

19. Russia

62. Australia

;D
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER