Author Topic: When would be the best time to trade Rondo?  (Read 8895 times)

When would be the best time to trade Rondo?
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His Value

during the upcoming offseason:  I would say it would be a 8 out 10.  Teams like Houston , if they get eliminated, may contact Danny to inquire about obtaining Rondo.  Yet with some uncertainty regarding his health they may not overpay to grab him. Unless Morey estimates waiting until the trade deadline could be worse as there might be a bidding war. 

during the trade deadline: If Rondo performs just about the same as he did the past season and the team after a few upgrades still stink, we would be lucky to even get a 1st round pick for him.  If he is visibly a better player yet the Celtics are still struggling (depending also if we draft Exum or another pg ready to take over), his value could at a high point. Bidding war possible.

If the Rockets or Bobcats for example offer a decent return for Rondo on draft night, would you go ahead with the trade?

Trade idea:
To Rockets: Rondo, Wallace, Bass
To Celtics: Asik, Lin, Parsons, 2014 25th pick

To Bobcats: Rondo, Bass
To Celtics: Kemba Walker, Biyombo, 2014 24th pick

If not interested, wait to see what happens until the trade deadline or just keep him until the end of the season and risk losing him for nothing?

Re: When would be the best time to trade Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His trade value may be higher around the deadline next season, but in my opinion the right time to trade him is this summer, before we enter next season with the cloud of "Will Rondo leave?" hanging over the team.

Either make moves to upgrade this summer and give Rondo to good reason to stay (i.e. instant reload), or get some current and future value for him now, before his free agency becomes a major distraction.  Rondo is not a good enough player to make going through that whole circus worthwhile, and his age means he doesn't fit into a long-term rebuild plan, anyhow.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
His trade value may be higher around the deadline next season, but in my opinion the right time to trade him is this summer, before we enter next season with the cloud of "Will Rondo leave?" hanging over the team.

Either make moves to upgrade this summer and give Rondo to good reason to stay (i.e. instant reload), or get some current and future value for him now, before his free agency becomes a major distraction.  Rondo is not a good enough player to make going through that whole circus worthwhile, and his age means he doesn't fit into a long-term rebuild plan, anyhow.

I agree with your points. If Danny fails at the attempt to make some big moves(love, melo etc) on draft night, he should try to get the best value back for Rondo. This way also he can make it a high priorty to draft/sign a FA pg (like a Patty Mills) to start for next season. 

The distractions will be annoying and won't be there unless the team performs well. But that will require some key additions.

If Danny doesn't get the right return back for Rondo though i can see him waiting it out until the deadline. Rondo again has to play much better bc his contract will be up.  This way his value skyrockets.

tough decisions

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Last year before he tore his MCL/ACL or whatever he tore.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
When someone offer something Ainge likes.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519

I agree with this as well.  It would be really distracting if trade rumors and all that follow Rondo and the C's all next season.  Either commit to RR fully, or trade him before the season.  From what we have heard from DA it seems like they are wanting to keep Rajon.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Yeah, it's def this summer if that's how Ainge wants to go.

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Never.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
We're not overpaying him for what he brings to the table even at 70% like he is now, he is a great player to teach people how to play in the NBA, if we got some other superstars around him he'd shine and I don't think we'll get fair value for him, anyways.

For those deals in the original post, absolutely not.  If we were able to get something like a top 5 pick and salary relief, I'd be okay with it, but I just don't think we're going to get an offer like that.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
We're not overpaying him for what he brings to the table even at 70% like he is now, he is a great player to teach people how to play in the NBA, if we got some other superstars around him he'd shine and I don't think we'll get fair value for him, anyways.

For those deals in the original post, absolutely not.  If we were able to get something like a top 5 pick and salary relief, I'd be okay with it, but I just don't think we're going to get an offer like that.

Many on here have said the Lakers  won't do this, but I think that they trade a top 3 pick for Rondo, if they got lucky in the lottery.

Kobe's $60 million 2 year window would squeeze them to trade Nash, a top 3 pick and perhaps a signed and traded Xavier Henry. NO one in this draft will help Kobe like Rondo can for the next 3-4 years. Lakers are all in with Kobe and need to get him help.

If the Lakers got lucky, that would be one possible time to trade Rondo.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
There is an important factor that needs to be figured in.  I believe that the OP assumes that Rondo does not accept an extension and plans to play this out to full FA.  If that is the case, then you are trading Rondo on a short contract so I would think teams like Houston, Lakers, Detroit would offer more to have Rondo for the full season than just to get him at the trade deadline.

I imagine that DA know whether or not Rondo has any intention of signing and extension.  If the answer is no to the extension, I suspect Rondo trade discussions will be in full gear right after the lottery.

On the other hand, if Rondo does accept an extension, then it is very unlikely he is traded in this off season.  More likely the team is constructed with Rondo in the mix and we see how that goes.  If things are still really bad, Rondo might be happy to be traded at the deadline or the next off season.  If things start to turn up, maybe Rondo stays around and is part of it.

Because I do not believe Rondo will accept an extension, I think the best time to trade Rondo will be around the draft or just after the draft.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 04:49:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
There is an important factor that needs to be figured in.  I believe that the OP assumes that Rondo does not accept an extension and plans to play this out to full FA.  If that is the case, then you are trading Rondo on a short contract so I would think teams like Houston, Lakers, Detroit would offer more to have Rondo for the full season than just to get him at the trade deadline.

I imagine that DA know whether or not Rondo has any intention of signing and extension.  If the answer is no to the extension, I suspect Rondo trade discussions will be in full gear right after the lottery.

On the other hand, if Rondo does accept an extension, then it is very unlikely he is traded in this off season.  More likely the team is constructed with Rondo in the mix and we see how that goes.  If things are still really bad, Rondo might be happy to be traded at the deadline or the next off season.  If things start to turn up, maybe Rondo stays around and is part of it.

Because I do not believe Rondo will accept an extension, I think the best time to trade Rondo will be around the draft or just after the draft.

You make some good points. But Rondo already said no to the two year extension.  He won't likely committ long term unless at least the Celts are a playoff calibre team next season. Plus he wants to go through the FA experience he stated.

The question is, when is Danny able to get the most for him?  Maybe he doesn't care about that right now and wants to see playoff Rondo one more time before making a final decision.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's not going to sign an extension because he'll make a lot more money if he hits free agency -- I wouldn't read more into it than that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.