Author Topic: Besides Drafting a Player, What is Ainge's One "Must" of the Summer?  (Read 4843 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Besides saying "draft player x", what is the least you want to see Ainge do this summer?

I'll say finding a rim protector. Whether that's Asik, Sanders, or somebody else, I think that alone would make a significant improvement on this team.

I'm daydreaming today so don't bring me down with a lame answer like "stay the course and find value..."
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Besides Drafting a Player, What is Ainge's One "Must" of the Summer?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well, I don't have a 'must' but I think he should be moving Bass and Bogans as expiring deals for future picks or an underperformed on a rookie deal that could be expected to improve in new surroundings.  I'd like to see them shipped out for Asik but wouldn't use more assets than them (except maybe a Philly second rounder -- protected in the event they make the playoffs and it becomes a first rounder)

Bass would be a solid backup on a playoff team like Houston.

After next year is when I think the 'must' situations start kicking in like moving Green's and Wallace's expiring deals for a disgruntled player looking to move on or more picks

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think we're still in "gathering assets" mode, so I would expect Ainge to not address any specific needs at this point other than more youth. 

Having said that, I think we need to buy or trade for a second round pick, because it looks like some gems might fall past the first round this year.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
NUMBER ONE THING:

Make a decision on Rondo.  Is the plan to keep him?  If so, gotta start upgrading the roster this summer so its ready to compete.  If the plan is to let him go, find a trade for him ASAP so that it's not a huge, yearlong distraction.

Runner up goals:

- Find a center.  That could be going for a defensive guy like Asik or Sanders, or making a trade and taking a chance on a young guy with more upside like Monroe.  Or even getting an unproven player like O'Quinn or Biyombo.

- Clear the deck of veterans with no upside.  Get rid of Bass.  Let Humphries / Bayless go.  Shop Green really hard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think one "must" is exploring every option for using our pool of nonguaranteed contracts ($7.8m) and the Pierce trade exception.

My thinking is along two lines. First, these are assets that expire this summer, so if we don't use them, we lose them.

Second, I don't think we should care too much about taking salary back, particularly on a one-year (expiring summer 2015) deal. We'll still have room in 2015 if we take back a one-year deal, and we can offer a team significant cap relief now while picking up an asset or two.

I'm not sure what deals are out there, but I think that something along those lines might help us in the long run without sacrificing too much now.

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think one "must" is exploring every option for using our pool of nonguaranteed contracts ($7.8m) and the Pierce trade exception.

My thinking is along two lines. First, these are assets that expire this summer, so if we don't use them, we lose them.

Second, I don't think we should care too much about taking salary back, particularly on a one-year (expiring summer 2015) deal. We'll still have room in 2015 if we take back a one-year deal, and we can offer a team significant cap relief now while picking up an asset or two.

I'm not sure what deals are out there, but I think that something along those lines might help us in the long run without sacrificing too much now.

Possibly totally unrelated, but I wonder what options there are out there this summer for doing what Houston did with Lin and Asik (i.e. snatching up some underrated UFA by giving them backloaded offers).

Maybe work out a S+T with the TE / non-guaranteed contracts in that vein.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I would like the following:

- Finding that rim protector, someone who can really make some noise in the paint, on both sides, much or less. The dream is Cousins but I would be content with Asik, whom we can also trade if necessary because he is expiring contract next season.

- Trying to get rid of all these big contracts in Bass, Wallace (very hard) and maybe Green with some picks for a better player.

- Take the opportunity in FA if one presents itself. I would be delighted if we made a move for Deng maybe if he opt out of Cleveland.

- Keeping Rondo. I doubt this is a 3+ years rebuilding process so we have to keep him. I don't see andy sense in giving up your only star and the guy who can be a magnet for other star players.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
leverage his creepy Mormon influence to make Jabari Parker declare for the draft and then immediately say "I intend to go on a 2 year mission to Africa".... so that he can slip to us at #6 ... to which he will then clarify, "... after I retire from the NBA"

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

This is a very good point as this one is really time sensitive.

With smarter GM's and the new CBA, it seems there aren't a ton of overpaid guys teams would pay to get out of.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline ChiefDK

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7

- I would trade Rondo. He doesn't fit the system. Too much of a ball hog. Will be a challenge as every team will want him to commit to an extension, so that probably rules out most of the bad teams.

- Let Avery Bradley go, unless you can get him back for one year only. He's too undersized and  inefficient as a scorer - shouldn't be the future at SG.

- Basically bottom out (again) with the hopes of landing 2 big free agents in 2015. I'd like to see them go after M Gasol and Love.

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 04:38:16 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
wow…he has a long list
go after a true center, defensive player who rebounds
unload some power forwards, bass, hump, ko = all good backups, sully is starter material
get kevin love we don't have to worry about any of that   :P

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Honestly im sick of the omer asik wantings. Id take larry sanders cause hes an athletic defensive center, asik isnt athletuic at all and would be like having another perkinds. I dont want a even more unathletic perkins on a rebuilding team.

My wants

Draft Caulie Stein, or an athletic defensive center in this years draft with one of our 4 darn picks. Trade bass , humphries, bogans, bayless or evengreen if we have to , to move uop and get one of these players.

I like WCS, that center from louisville, and a couple other guys.   No tweeners either, i dont want patric young from florida as strong as he is, kid is at best a kenneth faried. We have sullinger.

2nd, Get something for those guys I mentioned up top.  Bass , humphries, bogans, bayless or even green. Young players or even draft picks. Hoenstly I would take a 2nd round pick for bass and an expiring 2015 deal for bass. Green, I would want a first for, or a future first or a young player with more upside than green that isnt performing right now. If not then keep green and let his contract expire with gerald wallace.

3rd, Think of what we are doing with rondo, I love rodno and I thinkw e can rebuild with him and have a good team by the time hes 30 and by then hopefully just hopefully he has a consistent jumper, His passing skills are good enough that I really think all he needs is a jumper at a later age in his career.

Those are the main three.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Besides "drafting player X", also drafting player Y. That 2nd 1st round pick could be huge in itself. Nailing these two picks (or potentially using the 2nd one in a trade to get a later 1st + a 2nd this year) is the biggest task at hand.

Danny mustn't miss in this draft.

Beyond that, move Bass, let Hump walk, get nutritionists & trainers for Sully&KO, resign Avery cheap, bring back Colton Iverson, sign Pau Gasol (cheap), sign Marvin Williams (cheap) and sign Jimmer Fredette (cheap). Spencer Hawes and Ed Davis are other unrestricted FA's that could be interesting at the right price.

Pau would have to be wooed, but wouldn't he and Rondo be a great odd couple for a year or two? Colton is cheap and huge (say no more). Marvin Williams could be a value play for as a top tier athlete who can chip in many different ways. Jimmer just gives us a potential gunner, which we need.

Pau / Colton / Vitor
Sully / KO
Green / Wallace / Williams
Bradley / Fredette / Kyle Anderson
Rondo / Exum 

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Change the general structure and makeup of the players and the talent at the positions.

It was painful this year seeing a borderline NBA talent like Faverani be the only true center on this team while we had 5 power forwards and a SF who can play a stretch PF position. It was just as painful seeing the team have every member of their back court be undersized SGs that aren't good three point shooters or undersized PGs that can't shoot at all.

Time to get a real center or two, make a decision on which PFs you are going to keep and trade away the others, and add and subtract in the backcourt so that there is some size at the SG position and there are some 3 point threats back there as well.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Tithe a percent of his income to LDS?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.