Author Topic: Godzilla (2014)  (Read 11886 times)

Re: Godzilla (2014)
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
As an old-school Godzilla fan, I must say this one was AWESOME.

My only knock is maybe MORE Godzilla, but the way they mixed the fights and storyline was well-done.

Now let's do Godzilla 2 - and bring back the giant cockroach Megalon and Godzilla's robot sidekick lol ;D

But yeah - great movie.
King Ghidorah created with today's special effects would be so awesome!

I would LOVE for them to bring back Ghidorah, that was a classic fight. Was the I the only one, all excited and jumpy when Godzilla was charging up :-p

I also agree that I wished Godzilla had more screen time. The special effects was simply amazing. The bridge scene was very good.

I know it's just a movie, but a few things bothered me

* Spoiler Alert Spoiler Alert Spoiler Alert Spoiler Alert  *

1. So, Godzilla slept for 50-60 years when he got hit by a H-bomb, giant skyscraper collapses on him, and he sleeps half the day

2. If the war head is supposedly megatons stronger than the H-Bomb, how the hell did 8 guys carry it with ease, from Chinatown down to the pier?

3. Holy crap the main character knows how to dodge bullets, he survives like 4x!!!!

4. If the Mutos are Godzilla's prey, how come he didn't even eat them when he won...maybe the Japanese were right about this Godzilla, he was obese and was probably on a diet

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I too had been looking forward to this movie for months, and this past Friday threw a small party where we had a bunch of sushi, sake, and watched the original (American 1956) version of Godzilla before heading out to see the new one. 

Maybe I hyped myself up too much, but I thought the movie was so-so.  Like some have mentioned I could have done without the whole main actor, his wife, or kid.  There was a scene in the original Godzilla of a woman huddling helplessly by a building with her two crying daughters.  That scene provided way more emotion & attachment than the 45 minutes spent in this new godzilla on the main actor and his family.

SPOILER ALERT:
And of course the main actor and his family completely survive intact.  Were the "Good guys" really in jeopardy of losing?  Like every other American-made blockbuster the good guys come out completely unscathed.  I can't remember the last blockbuster I saw in the theater where the bad guys triumph at least a little.  Give me the gritty original movie anytime over the new emotionless CGI-fest.

So you were looking for a Godzilla movie to buck the trend of movie stereotypes and cliches? If you want to see the bad guy win go watch 'No country for old men' or something deeper. I mean I agree with you I wanted the lead to get squished by Muto just as much as you but I dont think him surviving is something to complain about.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Overall, I liked the movie. My biggest complaint about the movie is the lead actor. The Kick-Ass guy just didn't do it for me. Did not feel attached to any of the characters. Besides that opening scene with Cranston and his wife. That was gut wrenching.

SPOILER:

I felt the movie would have been a lot better if a great actor like Cranston was the lead. Was really mad when they killed him off so soon.

If the human side of the film had been a conflict between Cranston's character wanting to destroy all the monsters and Watanbe's character wanting to protect them, or at least protect Godzilla, a good movie would have become 50 kinds of awesome.

Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Cranston should have been in it longer. ATJ just did not do it for me and the olsen chick barely had a story written for her.