Author Topic: Another bad game from uncle Jeff  (Read 7737 times)

Re: Another bad game from uncle Jeff
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 07:23:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
17 and 5 in a competitive game is not bad. Maybe not what people hope for, but not bad. Sully played poorly tonight and nobody bats an eyelash.

When a veteran who earns 9 million per year got outplayed and outhustled by Tucker and the fat marshmallow twins, I call it bad.  >:(

Maybe, but what does that have to do with how well Green and Rondo play together?

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
What do you people expect from Jeff Green? He's not that good. It's not like he's underperforming or anything... He's a decent player who had a decent game.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
he is consistently inconsistent, thats who he is, and thats why he needs to go.

i will say though, i wouldnt say last night was "bad".

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Hmm? I wouldn't call this having a bad game per se. Scored 17 points on 12 shots. Got to the line plenty of times, only missed 2 shots from inside the arc. Simply had a bad shooting night from behind the arc. It happens. Grabbed 5 rebounds, 1 steal, zero turnovers.

Scored the bulk of his points in the first. Then completely disappeared. Then proceeded to score like 5 points on free throws at the end.

For those who want him to take the next step, this is disappointing. imo he's looking like an option 3 than an option 2.

JG just scores when he's hot now. But if he'd assert himself a little he'd be so much better.
Jeff green disappeared in a game??  Hard to believe isn't it?  ;) he had an average green game I think. Nothing terrible.

If you wish to moan about poor shooting, look at rondos 7 for 22. Rondo is back! :)

Technically it wasn't really poor "shooting" he made a majority of his midrange shots, it was layups that he missed. A lot of them were contested and he was trying to draw fouls, but that's where he missed a majority of his shots. But I'm more encouraged that he's looking to be aggressive and get to the line.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It's fine to be inconsistent as a third or fourth best player.  Those guys can steal you a game in the playoffs, when they go off for a huge night and swing a series.  Problem is for half the year he was our best player, and now he's our second-best.  I'm fine if he stays around and we get a legit scorer at the 4 or 2, or even at the 3 sliding Jeff over to the 2. 

The same could be said of AB.  Maybe Bradley's defense is there most nights, but they both are inconsistent scorers.  I'd probably want only one of them around though.  Both having major roles makes the team that much more topsy-turvy.

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

It's fine to be inconsistent as a third or fourth best player.  Those guys can steal you a game in the playoffs, when they go off for a huge night and swing a series.  Problem is for half the year he was our best player, and now he's our second-best.  I'm fine if he stays around and we get a legit scorer at the 4 or 2, or even at the 3 sliding Jeff over to the 2. 

The same could be said of AB.  Maybe Bradley's defense is there most nights, but they both are inconsistent scorers.  I'd probably want only one of them around though.  Both having major roles makes the team that much more topsy-turvy.

green is not the second best player behind rondo...sully is.  we have seen him struggle in boston when he wasn't the one of the top players on the roster, and when he is considered one of the better players.  green needs a lot of minutes and touches to be productive.  he isn't efficient.

AB makes 2.5mil this yr and 3.5mil next yr (ballpark figures)...green makes 8.9mil this season, 9.4mil next season, and a player option the following season for 9.4 mil.  so, in short, bradley being inconsistent offensively isnt as big a deal, bc he makes considerably less with the extra $ being allotted to use on another player.

secondly, regarding bradley, his best quality is on defense, specifically on the ball defense.  anything he can give beyond that is a bonus.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
#UncleSnoozeButton

Interesting to Bass give real effort last night (because he'd welcome a trade to a better team, presumably), and Green mail it in (because that's what Snoozey does 6 days a week).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For those who want him to take the next step, this is disappointing. imo he's looking like an option 3 than an option 2.
Those who expected him to morph into the second coming of Paul Pierce were delusional from the very beginning.

And the whole option 2 - option 3 discussion is pointless when he's playing on a team that doesn't have an option 1.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Those who expected him to morph into the second coming of Paul Pierce were delusional from the very beginning.

bingo!

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
17 and 5 in a competitive game is not bad. Maybe not what people hope for, but not bad. Sully played poorly tonight and nobody bats an eyelash.

Except Sully's still basically a rookie. There are no expectations.

There's hope and expectations for JG.

Time to move beyond calling Sully a rookie.
Sullinger doesn't have bad games. He waits.

He also played 45 games last season, averaging 20 minutes per game. That's more than most players get in their rookie years.

So yeah, there are expectations, commesurate with his status of a second-year player who is likely to develop into an NBA starter down the road. Like for example the expectation to appear to camp looking in shape, and not looking like a meatball. Or the expectation not to chuck shots he cannot make. Or the expectation to not foul like there's no tomorrow.

Of course, he's not Jeff Green, so all that is never a topic of conversation, let alone a separate thread after each bad game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I seriously have never in my life seen a guy disappear the way Green does. In the second, third and most of the fourth quarters, it was like you could not find him on the court. He got taken out of the game because Turner was dogging him all over the court and that meant he had to work too hard to get open, get the ball, and take a shot. So tired of this guy.

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I seriously have never in my life seen a guy disappear the way Green does. In the second, third and most of the fourth quarters, it was like you could not find him on the court. He got taken out of the game because Turner was dogging him all over the court and that meant he had to work too hard to get open, get the ball, and take a shot. So tired of this guy.
My best advice would be to re-watch some old Pierce-Deng games.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
My best advice would be to re-watch some old Pierce-Deng games.

Pierce's effort wasn't always perfect, especially when he was younger and the team was directionless.

But let's talk about the now. The Celtics lose lots of games. Green is one of their most talented players, and a veteran to boot. His effort and intensity is inconsistent -- no one disagrees, as far as I can tell, and if they do they're not paying attention.

So, couldn't he play harder? Couldn't he set a goal for himself to leave it all on the floor for 48  minutes, say, for a whole week of games in a row? Then see how that feels and try to repeat that for another week? I simply don't understand why this is too much to ask.

That said, I think the "another bad game from Jeff" threads should probably be given a rest, considering he's less than impressive fairly often, then strolled off the court stone faced like he's lookin' forward to a burger and a beer time after time. The man is who he is. There's something to talk about here when he makes that change.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Except Sully's still basically a rookie. There are no expectations.

There's hope and expectations for JG.

Time to move beyond calling Sully a rookie.
Sullinger doesn't have bad games. He waits.

He also played 45 games last season, averaging 20 minutes per game. That's more than most players get in their rookie years.

So yeah, there are expectations, commesurate with his status of a second-year player who is likely to develop into an NBA starter down the road. Like for example the expectation to appear to camp looking in shape, and not looking like a meatball. Or the expectation not to chuck shots he cannot make. Or the expectation to not foul like there's no tomorrow.

Of course, he's not Jeff Green, so all that is never a topic of conversation, let alone a separate thread after each bad game.

Yeah, Green unfortunately has the stigma of where he was drafted, the circumstances of the trade, his salary, and also unfair expectations to deal with.

Sullinger may never have a higher approval rating than now. I'm sure once he's off his rookie deal and it's apparent he's a decent player but no all star, then we can expect more threads like these directed his way.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yeah, Green unfortunately has the stigma of where he was drafted, the circumstances of the trade, his salary, and also unfair expectations to deal with.
This part I still don't understand. He's paid like the third-best player on a reasonable team, and he's fully capable of being one. On any recent championship team, he would have been no better than the fourth-highest paid player. I'm more and more inclined to think that it is some fans and not Jeff Green that have to deal with something ;)