Author Topic: Rumor mill is incredibly quiet  (Read 8019 times)

Re: Rumor mill is incredibly quiet
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 12:43:25 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It'll slowly gain steam tomorrow and ramp up Tuesday-Thursday.

I think the All-Star game (weekend) is the focus the NBA wants the masses interested in  while it goes on. Almost like a moratorium on rumors so as not to take the spotlight away.

Funny, it had quite the opposite effect for me. Except for Sully and Klynik Friday night, it kinda sucked.

Find the rumors a lot more interesting.
Except it usually is the other way around according to one article I had read. Rumors tend to upstage news from the ASG weekend. Not so this year and it's not because the events were novel or thrilling.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 12:48:55 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

I think the All-Star game (weekend) is the focus the NBA wants the masses interested in  while it goes on. Almost like a moratorium on rumors so as not to take the spotlight away.

Funny, it had quite the opposite effect for me. Except for Sully and Klynik Friday night, it kinda sucked.

I remember Stern talking about the Playoffs/Finals and when asked about the Doc situation his tone and demeanor changed totally.

“If you think those, at this point — having been all over the media for the last week — are separate transactions … I have a bridge that I would very much enjoy selling to you,” Stern said.

If it had been done in the off season and not smack in the middle of the NBA showcase I wonder? Yeah it was against the rules but the Circus and it's distraction from his baby were...um...."stimulating" to Mr Stern ;D

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why can't the thunder just move Jeremy Lamb, Reggie Jackson, and Kendrick Perkins for Brandon Jennings and Greg Monroe like I want them to??

Because they like being a good team.

Why would the Thunder be a worse team? They'd gain one of the best passing big men in the league in Monroe, and a guy who does pretty well at defending 5s, who is at least as good a rebounder as Perkins, and a much better scorer by an expodential degree. If Russell Westbrook comes back after the break, Jackson's role diminishes, and Brandon Jennings would eat second units alive.

Both of those players are below average defenders at best - particularly Brandon Jennings. He would eat 2nd units alive but you couldn't really play him big minutes at SG next to Westbrook because he's such a defensive liability. That's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Jackson's game. As far as Greg Monroe - that's an interesting idea but he'd have to become a better defender, it can't all fall on Serge Ibaka. I know people like to overplay the demise of the center, but the western conference still has the likes of Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Demarcus Cousins, even an emerging Deandre Jordan. I don't think they get away with having an such a subpar defensive 5. They'd be better off bringing in a guy like Omer Asik.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Why can't the thunder just move Jeremy Lamb, Reggie Jackson, and Kendrick Perkins for Brandon Jennings and Greg Monroe like I want them to??

Why would the Thunder be a worse team? They'd gain one of the best passing big men in the league in Monroe, and a guy who does pretty well at defending 5s, who is at least as good a rebounder as Perkins, and a much better scorer by an expodential degree. If Russell Westbrook comes back after the break, Jackson's role diminishes, and Brandon Jennings would eat second units alive.

Both of those players are below average defenders at best - particularly Brandon Jennings. He would eat 2nd units alive but you couldn't really play him big minutes at SG next to Westbrook because he's such a defensive liability. That's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Jackson's game. As far as Greg Monroe - that's an interesting idea but he'd have to become a better defender, it can't all fall on Serge Ibaka. I know people like to overplay the demise of the center, but the western conference still has the likes of Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard, Andrew Bogut, Demarcus Cousins, even an emerging Deandre Jordan. I don't think they get away with having an such a subpar defensive 5. They'd be better off bringing in a guy like Omer Asik.

You should look at Monroe's synergy numbers. He does well in post up situations. His biggest failings are as a defensive anchor, and help defender, which are also Perkins biggest failings as a defender.

Jennings isn't a great defender, but he has a lot of the tools to be an adaquate one. But I don't think you'll see a horrible drop off from Jackson's defense to Jennings. Their biggest loss will be Perks lockerroom influence and Lamb's role as a traditional 2, but I think between Thabo having a bigger role, and Monroe's added offense, they can compensate for the loss of Lamb on offense.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »

Online Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It seems to me that the rumor-hounds and those who would watch the All-Star weekend festivities are almost the opposite of each other as fans.

Maybe it's just because I'm that way. I love the rumor mill, but I haven't watched the ASG in years. It doesn't even qualify as real basketball in my mind.

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:24 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Rumor mill is most likely quiet because Doc isn't around leaking everything anymore. At least from Boston's front office.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:28:15 AM by lon3lytoaster »

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Jennings in an inefficient volume shooter. Other than that he's fairly unspectacular.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

Jennings in an inefficient volume shooter. Other than that he's fairly unspectacular.

Lol so you wouldn't want Brandon Jennings as your backup point. Stop it.

Clearly the trade isn't going to happen, but if it was proposed by Detroit, okc would do t in a heartbeat and win the championship or at least be in the finals.

A lineup of
Jennings
Westbrook
Durant
Monroe
Ibaka

Would be lethal or have Jennings off the bench and have Thabo at SG( which they'd do most likely)

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Biggest reason for the Thunder not to do it, in my view, is that Westbrook is still on the team.  He may not be a traditional point guard, but he's a point guard nonetheless.  You don't lessen the impact of a guy like that by moving him off the ball, especially when the point you're bringing in is not a particularly accomplished floor general himself. 

Also, I don't think the Thunder can afford to tie up that much money in Jennings and Monroe.  They need to conserve money to make sure they can continue to afford Westbrook - Durant - Ibaka and also pay to keep some of the better supporting cast members.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Biggest reason for the Thunder not to do it, in my view, is that Westbrook is still on the team.  He may not be a traditional point guard, but he's a point guard nonetheless.  You don't lessen the impact of a guy like that by moving him off the ball, especially when the point you're bringing in is not a particularly accomplished floor general himself. 

Also, I don't think the Thunder can afford to tie up that much money in Jennings and Monroe.  They need to conserve money to make sure they can continue to afford Westbrook - Durant - Ibaka and also pay to keep some of the better supporting cast members.

I feel like Brandon Jennings would just ruin the Thunder. Plus alongside Westbrook I dont see him a fit at all. Durant and Westbrook need the ball in their hands and Jennings would take it away from them. I can't see Jennings being good for the Thunder on the court or in the locker room.

I'll never forget what Larry Sanders responded when Jennings said he would be playing with better big men in Detroit..."He has to pass it to them first."

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny should lower demands to trade hump, bass. And if ab doesnt look like is coming back to trade him also.

I would take 2nd round picks(strong draft) and expiring contracts .

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Danny should lower demands to trade hump, bass. And if ab doesnt look like is coming back to trade him also.

Its likely he's not even getting offers of expirings for those players.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

That would sukk then. Cant see the team resigning humphries. You should get back somethimg for him

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Unless a team is looking to dump an All-Star for Humps expiring (which wont happen) I dont see the need to trade Humphries. I think his 12 million expiring off the books is much more valuable to us than two role like players eating up that space over the next couple years.

If you can package Bass (veteran with an extra year next year) do it. If you can get rid of AB for anything rather than let him walk or over pay him, I do that as well. (I'd even take a second round pick for AB at this point but thats just me).

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399

Unless a team is looking to dump an All-Star for Humps expiring (which wont happen) I dont see the need to trade Humphries. I think his 12 million expiring off the books is much more valuable to us than two role like players eating up that space over the next couple years.

If you can package Bass (veteran with an extra year next year) do it. If you can get rid of AB for anything rather than let him walk or over pay him, I do that as well. (I'd even take a second round pick for AB at this point but thats just me).

i wouldn't mind taking the role players with an extra year for Hump if 1) DA's plan is to really make a splash in 2015, 2) at least one of the role players is young and has a shot (even if it's a longshot) of becoming quite productive if given a proper chance and 3) it improves our lottery chances this year.
- LilRip