Author Topic: If Olynyk lost 5-10 pounds can he play SF?  (Read 6268 times)

Re: If Olynyk lost 5-10 pounds can he play SF?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
KO will never be a SF.

He laterally struggles with PFs let alone SFs. Simply loosing weight will not change this. He is going to have to just get stronger and focus on being a great team defender.
he needs to loose 10 pounds of baby fat and turn it into muscle to be able to play power forwards
small forward NEVER ever ever

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:56:59 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He doesn't have the foot speed to cover small forwards, it would be an absolute disaster on defense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
huh? you mean PF? still not convinced he can play there defensively.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If he's having trouble covering pfs, there's no way the guy will ever be able to cover sfs regardless of weight loss. He doesn't have the foot speed. He needs to develop at pf

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Heck, right now he has problems covering anyone. He's sometimes so slow on rotations across the paint when playing C that he looks like he's stuck in molasses.

He just needs to lose weight in general, and work on lateral movement.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You can't make steel out of clay.   

This guy is a finesse high IQ player not an athlete.  I think he can contribute but this ain't summer league anymore.

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Offline BrianZag

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
All you people saying Kelly needs to lose fat or turn fat to muscle or whatever need to realize that he measured one of the lowest body fat percentages out of all the players at this years combine. What was it, like 6% body fat? He is not capable of losing any fat. Any weight he loses will be from muscle loss or hair loss.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All you people saying Kelly needs to lose fat or turn fat to muscle or whatever need to realize that he measured one of the lowest body fat percentages out of all the players at this years combine. What was it, like 6% body fat? He is not capable of losing any fat. Any weight he loses will be from muscle loss or hair loss.
Which makes the idea of him getting faster or quicker that much more absurd and the idea of him playing SF quite preposterous.

If KO has had to work so hard to get his physical shape into the shape it is now at 6% body fat, then how much better physically can he really get to allow him to be able to get strong, fast, and quick enough to be able to pull all those moves he used in college here in the pros?

Yet another reason for me o be doubtful that he will ever get any better than he is right now

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Zeller and gobert were at less than 5 percent. It Might make a small but noticible diff. Especially jumping

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He didn't measure "one of the lowest". He measured comfortably in the middle, but probably towards the lower end of big men, who typically carry more weight (and by extension, more fat) on their frame. So that's not bad.

It's worth noting, of course, that the record is from predraft camp. Sullinger was quite trim in predraft workouts too, and we all know how that worked out.

Also, he's not going to lose any weight by turning muscle into fat. That's not how it works (muscle is, in fact, heavier than fat). But regardless, he doesn't look good at this playing weight. One way or the other, his playing weight needs to be lower, since he's not going to outmuscle anyone, and he's not quick enough on his feet either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 02:24:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm not at all sold he is an NBA player. At this point, he is so outclassed physically it's hard to imagine him lasting in the league beyond his rookie contract.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016