Author Topic: Trade for Pau Gasol  (Read 10571 times)

Re: Trade for Pau Gasol
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 12:13:16 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Pay Gasol is 33yrs old and won't be a top guy on the next Celtics championship team, so you would never ever ever give up a lot of assets for him. 

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Pay Gasol is 33yrs old and won't be a top guy on the next Celtics championship team, so you would never ever ever give up a lot of assets for him.

But you're not supposed to. A late round pick is pretty much the biggest asset for the suggested offer.

And Pau's game was never predicated on athleticism, fast running and high jumping. Pau's finesse, relies on his skill, which does not diminish. He can play until he's 36 and could still average 15 and 8 a game.

And Pau should is not and at this point would never be a top guy for a team. But he can be a very good 3rd option, something we can't say for Humprhies, Wallace, (maybe) Bass, Lee and especially Brooks and Bogans.

I say it again, Pau's being underutlized and having a bad season because of it, but he's still putting up 14 and 9 albeit at a lowly 42%. Imagine what Pau can do if he's used properly, and we know he will get to be used properly over here in Boston.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:03 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
NO

..........and when did the Celtics missing the playoffs and having a lottery pick come off the table ??

if the winning continues, you trade Jeff Green, who is a real nice player and a great story and I really like Jeff and all - but he ain't leading us to a title ever - it's not in his DNA - and even if we hit the draft jackpot and get a top 3 pick this year to play alongside Green, he would still have to be one of the main cogs in a future Celtic title team given his talent and the makeup of our roster - and it's just not in him. if he had the competitive tenacity needed to win a title, he would be a starting version of James Posey, but think about the difference in those two players' mental outlook - Posey was a tough SOB who would slit your throat and do it in the 4th quarter of a playoff game. Jeff is sometimes spectacular, sometimes even steady, but often disappears and does he impress you as a player who will thrive in the 4th quarter of an important playoff game ??

Celts also can trade Bass, Lee, even Rajon, who I have always wanted to see retire a Celtic because when it really matters his heart is exactly where it needs to be and Rondo will lead a team to a title and kill himself and the opponent to do it - but does he have the mentality to hang in there thru a couple of rebuilding seasons before we contend again without making himself and the team around him crazy ?

and again, to the Gasol trade, NO, if for none of the other obvious reasons, he is a Laker. have you lost your hate for them that quickly ? I haven't. let them swim in the cesspool that's been created with Kobe's and Jimmy Buss's huge egos.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:22:49 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If you're going to burn two picks in a trade, I'd rather send them to Houston for Asik.
I hear you... but do you really believe Asik would have more of an impact on this team than Pau Gasol this year?  Serious question... do you?  I'm not high on Asik.   Is 27 year old Asik a more impactful player than 33 year old Pau Gasol?
This year is irrelevant. We need to get assets for long term.

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2013, 01:46:20 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
If you're going to burn two picks in a trade, I'd rather send them to Houston for Asik.
I hear you... but do you really believe Asik would have more of an impact on this team than Pau Gasol this year?  Serious question... do you?  I'm not high on Asik.   Is 27 year old Asik a more impactful player than 33 year old Pau Gasol?
This year is irrelevant. We need to get assets for long term.

too many long term are tough to pay
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2013, 01:48:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
and again, to the Gasol trade, NO, if for none of the other obvious reasons, he is a Laker. have you lost your hate for them that quickly ? I haven't. let them swim in the cesspool that's been created with Kobe's and Jimmy Buss's huge egos.
Well, Gasol doesn't seem to share their egos. I hate the Lakers, but I don't care if a player is a former Laker. If they took Wallace's contract (which, of course, they won't) I'd take Gasol in a second.

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 01:54:19 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Well, Gasol doesn't seem to share their egos. I hate the Lakers, but I don't care if a player is a former Laker. If they took Wallace's contract (which, of course, they won't) I'd take Gasol in a second.

me too and beleive me Faverani is hidden behing that curtain.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »

fitzhickey

I don't want a past it big man who is owed that much money. He can't help us long term, and short term it won't help us as we aren't going to contend for a little while.