Author Topic: Rumored asking Price for Omer Asik  (Read 23272 times)

Re: Rumored asking Price for Omer Asik
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 06:07:07 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I seriously don't get the obsession with bad, overpaid and overrated big men with zero upside on this forum.

Asik is by far one of the worst fits I can possibly imagine for this team.  From what I understand this Celtics team is a top 10 defensive team right now, and actually a pretty decent rebounding team now (much improved over last season in that regard).  Where our weakness lies is that we are a horrendous offensive team.

So, we fix this issue by adding a big man who rebounds, defends and is completely incapable of scoring?

A starting 5 of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully and Asik would be quite possibly the worst offensive starting lineup in the entire NBA.

When we wanted to trade for DeAndre Jordan everybody here was mocking that deal no end.  Jordan is pretty much just as good a rebounder and shot blocker as Asik is, with the youth and elite athleticism that gives him about 20x more upside.  Plus he doesn't sit on the bench whinging and complaining about not playing at the end of games.

Asik is best suited for a team like New York or Brooklyn - teams that have plenty of capable scorers and just need a tough big man in the middle to gobble up rebounds and defend the paint.  Putting him on a defensive team that lacks scorers is a horrible idea, especially when that team is one that is trying to rebuild (and hence cut expensive contracts).

I would way rather just send somebody to Brooklyn to get KG back.  He rebounds and defends like Asik, but at least (once he gets out of his funk) the guy knows how to put the ball in the basket.

So weird here honestly.  People just insist on bring up trade ideas for overpaid mediocre players that don't fit the team, and then the very same trade idea just keeps popping up over and over.  This has got to be the 10th Asik thread I've seen in the past month.

Asik is begging to get out of Houston in return for a pick and a young guy, yet not a single team (not even the ones with stacks of picks and young guys) have made an offer.  What does that tell you?  NOBODY wants him.  He's a role player being paid the type of money that the second best player on your team should earn.

In fact look at how well Hump is playing right now on both ends of the floor as well as on the boards.  What does Asik give us that he isn't alredy giving us on an expiring contract?  Mm...no thanks. 

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1569
I'd be fine with Asik if Boston also added a scorer, like say Anthony which has been discussed a lot recently.  I see no reason to add Asik by giving up any real value unless Boston also add a piece to make it real contender and not just moderately better.  So if Boston could swing something like the following, I'd be all for it.

Bass, Bradley, Clippers pick for Asik

and

Humphries, Green, 2014 pick (top five protected), 2016 pick (lesser of two) for Anthony

That would leave Boston

PG - Rondo, Crawford
SG - Lee, Crawford
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Asik, Faverani

If Rondo comes back close to his old self that team would be a real threat to Indiana and Miami
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
PG - Rondo, Crawford
SG - Lee, Crawford
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Asik, Faverani

I like that lineup. That is indeed a contender. And we add a draft pick from a loaded draft class too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd be fine with Asik if Boston also added a scorer, like say Anthony which has been discussed a lot recently.  I see no reason to add Asik by giving up any real value unless Boston also add a piece to make it real contender and not just moderately better.  So if Boston could swing something like the following, I'd be all for it.

Bass, Bradley, Clippers pick for Asik

and

Humphries, Green, 2014 pick (top five protected), 2016 pick (lesser of two) for Anthony

That would leave Boston

PG - Rondo, Crawford
SG - Lee, Crawford
SF - Anthony, Wallace
PF - Sullinger, Olynyk
C - Asik, Faverani

If Rondo comes back close to his old self that team would be a real threat to Indiana and Miami

I'd be happy with this.   I would like to hold onto Bradley in exchange for Lee, though, and would be willing to give up an additional pick to do so.

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's a role player being paid the type of money that the second best player on your team should earn.

This is not true.  On the vast majority of teams (25 of 30), he'd be no more than the third-highest paid player.  On most good teams he'd be between the 4th and 6th highest paid.  On his own team he's tied for third, and on the Celtics he'd be 5th, in terms of cap hit.  Is he great shakes and worth two draft picks?  Absolutely not, and that (and their desperation to trade him) is why no one has rushed to Houston and made a deal.  Is he a vastly overpaid role player?  No.  He's paid about what he should be as a very good defender at a key defensive position.  He may not be as good as DeAndre Jordan, but he's paid less than him, so I don't see the fuss.  The problem with acquiring him is the additional cost to the Rockets, and not compensation to Asik, since he's paid about what he should be.

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
I think there ate a couple teams that would trade a player or two that are flashier than what the Celtics can offer.  Asik contract is pretty step too ..... Those two things alone , as Danny won't trade his two young guys to take on a big Contract .....just make me believe DA will pass on Asik .

Danny takes a wait and see approach.

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think Ainge would at least float a lowball offer.

I have my suspicions that the two-pick asking price was aimed at Ainge and his stash of picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I honestly hadn't heard of this guy till howard was traded to Houston so I generally take that as he isn't that great. but I do hear a lot of talk & hype about him & I've been wrong before.

if this guy is worth it like many think the best thing to do is wait till the last min. and low ball 'em.

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
@GeryWoelfel 6 Dec
Told Rockets want two 1st rounders or one first and good young player for Asik. Good luck with that.

If this report is factual i would love to acquire Asik. I'd give them Kelly O in a second along with a first rounder.

Thoughts on if he's worth this rumored amount?

Absolutely not.  Vitor per 30 minutes is better than this guy. I don't see the attention this guy is getting. He can't hit foul shots and he makes too much money.  He wouldn't make us better.
yeah... vitor is a fair comparison... except vitor doesn't make 15 mil a year
I like what Faverani has brought to the table this season, but there's no way he's in any form or shape a fair comparison for Asik.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
sure Asik is better than any center currently on our squad (i count Sully as PF long term), he might be the best center available, but i simply don't like the fit. he's very good in post defense, but i'd prefer quick, shot-blocking big to improve our rotations and help defense. someone like Larry Sanders, but i doubt Bucks would even consider parting ways with him. we might be best off simply trying to find that guy in the draft

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
• The Philadelphia 76ers are one of the teams linked to Houston Rockets center Omer Asik, who reportedly is about to be moved. One league executive told FOX Sports Ohio not to rule out the Celtics or Milwaukee Bucks, either.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/story/Sam-Amicos-NBA-notes-Knicks-should-explo?blockID=970941&feedID=3561

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
• The Philadelphia 76ers are one of the teams linked to Houston Rockets center Omer Asik, who reportedly is about to be moved. One league executive told FOX Sports Ohio not to rule out the Celtics or Milwaukee Bucks, either.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/story/Sam-Amicos-NBA-notes-Knicks-should-explo?blockID=970941&feedID=3561

Haha. I suspect that the C's will not be "ruled out" of any trade discussion for the next three years.

This is what I love about Danny. He will participate in every conversation, and 95% of the time the other GM will be stunned by Danny's asking price and just hang up.

The other 5% of the time...we get KG, Ray Allen, the Nets picks, etc...heck even the Bass trade seems like a minor fleecing at this point.

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
sure Asik is better than any center currently on our squad (i count Sully as PF long term), he might be the best center available, but i simply don't like the fit. he's very good in post defense, but i'd prefer quick, shot-blocking big to improve our rotations and help defense. someone like Larry Sanders, but i doubt Bucks would even consider parting ways with him. we might be best off simply trying to find that guy in the draft

Not sure why some people act like Asik is some big oaf. He's athletic and agile for a 7 footer.

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
heck even the Bass trade seems like a minor fleecing at this point.

I was stunned when I heard Ainge was able to swing that deal. Just floored.

It's not quite up there with the Big Three trades, but I think it's in his top 5. Definitely makes Ainge's Youtube GM highlight mix.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Paul Millsap of the Hawks for Asik is another rumor I've seen.  I'm not sure if the Hawks would be better short term with a deal like that, but all the better for us if not.