Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 50281 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I really like Nate McMillan for Minnesota. Very good coach. Only team in the division I gave extra credit to for their Head Coach.

Scotty Brooks was a solid enough choice for Portland.

I didn't like Mike Brown or Pat Riley. Mike Brown for his poor in game coaching and inability to man-manage star players. Pat Riley because I think he is a burnout who has no interest in coaching anymore.

« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Questions for Teams in My Division
(I apologize if someone asked something similar already)

Portland
Your team features a lot of high-usage players without a true facilitator. Do you expect enough shots for everyone on your team? Will certain players have to concede for others? Will that minimize their effectiveness on the court? Also - regarding the true facilitator - how deeply, if it all, were you engaged in trade discussions to acquire a top facilitator?

Denver
Your team has talent and I am more optimistic on your Bogut-Monroe pairing than most, but I worry that your team does not have the experience necessary to advance far into the playoffs. Your "alpha-dog" is only in his second-year in the league after coming from a college that few have heard of. How would you respond to a comment that your team is not experienced enough to contend?

Oklahoma City
Your team features a dynamic one-two combo with Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard. Do you expect them to have personality clashes? Rose has a personality similar to Kobe and Rondo - a "me against the world" personality if you will - and Howard is the polar opposite. From what we saw and heard about last season, Kobe and Howard had difficulties together. Is this something that will effect on court play?
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I really like Nate McMillan for Minnesota. Very good coach. Only team in the division I gave extra credit to for their Head Coach.

I didn't like Mike Brown or Pat Riley. Mike Brown for his poor in game coaching and inability to man-manage star players. Pat Riley because I think he is a burnout who has no interest in coaching anymore.

Philly has Coach K who has no interest in coaching Pro.
Memphis has JVG who has no interest in coaching at all.
Chicago has Phil Jackson who as of now, is also not interested in coaching.

They get docked too, right?

Questions for Teams in My Division

Denver
Your team has talent and I am more optimistic on your Bogut-Monroe pairing than most, but I worry that your team does not have the experience necessary to advance far into the playoffs. Your "alpha-dog" is only in his second-year in the league after coming from a college that few have heard of. How would you respond to a comment that your team is not experienced enough to contend?

I answered this before. Bogut just got off an amazing Playoffs run. Varejao, Barbosa have enjoyed some deep Playoffs appearances and were contributors. Courtney Lee played in the Finals. Lowry, Chandler, Webster and Speights had little Playoff stints but still appeared none the less. We have a coach who has won championships as well. There's  definitely experience withing the core of the team to handle the rigors of post season basketball.

And as for Lillard, the alpha dog. Isn't taking over a team with LaMarcus Aldridge not enough proof that he can handle the bright lights? And while LMA had a better statistical season, eyes are always on Lillard everytime they play. He took many last minute shots, had the ball in his hands on crunch time and he is as clutch as Brandon Roy was in his rookie year. As Carmelo Anthony said "He's going to be the One in Portland".  All this on his first year.

It'll be hard to assume that with all the accomplishments Lillard had in his rookie year that all of a sudden he's going to fold in the Playoffs. Alpha Dogs with his pedigree shine, not disappear. So while he's only a second year player, there's a lot of reasons to believe that while he's young, he's not allergic to the bright lights.

And as for the small school thing, well, isn't that a more of a detriment to the schools who did not recruit him instead of a detriment to him? Steph Curry syndrome.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Philly has Coach K who has no interest in coaching Pro.
Memphis has JVG who has no interest in coaching at all.
Chicago has Phil Jackson who as of now, is also not interested in coaching.

They get docked too, right?

Yeah, Coach K and Phil Jackson will never be NBA head coaches (again in PJ's case).

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2013, 11:17:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What exactly is Denver's offense anyways? I just read your offensive philosophy again, and I'm still puzzled by it.

You reference running in transition, Showtime, and shooting threes, Lillard in the half court, and then posting Monroe a bunch.

« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
[Portland
Your team features a lot of high-usage players without a true facilitator. Do you expect enough shots for everyone on your team? Will certain players have to concede for others? Will that minimize their effectiveness on the court? Also - regarding the true facilitator - how deeply, if it all, were you engaged in trade discussions to acquire a top facilitator?

How can you say I dont have a true facilitator? Melo and Joe Johnson can facilitate as can Brandon Jennings and Darren Collision. There will be plenty of shots for everyone to be taking. Like I have said before I believe all of these guys will be much much more effective defensively because they will be able to use some of their energy on the defensive end because they will have other scorers on the floor. I wouldnt say I was trying to trade for a true facilitator because I wasn't but I was actively shopping Jennings along with Johnson and Melo. However I think my team fits together nicely.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
[Portland

How can you say I dont have a true facilitator? Melo and Joe Johnson can facilitate as can Brandon Jennings and Darren Collision. There will be plenty of shots for everyone to be taking. Like I have said before I believe all of these guys will be much much more effective defensively because they will be able to use some of their energy on the defensive end because they will have other scorers on the floor. I wouldnt say I was trying to trade for a true facilitator because I wasn't but I was actively shopping Jennings along with Johnson and Melo. However I think my team fits together nicely.
All four are selfish players offensively. High usage guys who don't thrive in off the ball situations.

They facilitate by passing after breaking down the D or dribbling the ball a bunch. All prone to isolation type positions and shots.

I have to agree I don't see the four of them fitting together.

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What exactly is Denver's offense anyways? I just read your offensive philosophy again, and I'm still puzzled by it.

You reference running in transition, Showtime, and shooting threes, Lillard in the half court, and then posting Monroe a bunch.

Denver will favor to run, is pretty much what I mean by it. It has the personnel who can be deadly in transition. Denver is going to favor the fast break instead of sending more people for the the defensive rebound. As soon as the opponent shoots, the wings starts to drift down the court, wait for the rebound and run.  It's not Showtime fancy, but I referenced showtime in a sense that Denver will run try to run the ball and favors running instead of a half court set.

But just because you run doenst mean you'll get the shot that favors you all the time, in some possessions the transition defense of the opponents will be set and will be forced to play half court. That's when Denver runs either the Monroe post play, in which they dump the ball down low to Greg, spread the floor and let him work. Or it could be a high Pick and Roll with Lillard, with the shooters parked and a big man lurking somewhere 3-9 feet off the basket. Those are the two main half court sets. If Denver will not be able to convert or execute a fastbreak attack, that's their half court offense.

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
[Portland

All four are selfish players offensively. High usage guys who don't thrive in off the ball situations.

They facilitate by passing after breaking down the D or dribbling the ball a bunch. All prone to isolation type positions and shots.

Melo, Jennings, and Johnson...Even Bynum. Can all facilitate for themselves but with others not so much. I worry about much the tempers will be flaring in the locker room when each of them aren't getting 20+ shots a night and are living in a world of on court iso.

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Do you plan on playing any small ball with a stretch 4 then?

« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm not sure if this is for Denver?

« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It is.

« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
[Portland

Agreed, Fafnir.

The only player I can see playing effectively off the ball is Joe Johnson in a spot-up three-point shooting role. Jennings and Bynum both need the ball frequently. Melo needs it more than both of them. I do not like the fit of this team. I think the talent is there to make the playoffs, but not much more than that.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It is.

No. While I get it that running is more favorable with a mobile, stretch 4, we will not. Remember we still need to rebound the ball before we an even run, and with 2 of our 3 excellent rebounding guys on the floor, we can afford to not send any more players for a defensive rebound and let them handle it.

We'll have the wings and the PG ready to run with a head start. Then it's just a matter of rebounding, quick outlet passes and we are in the rim in 3-4 seconds.

And as for the stretch 4 in the half court set, to stretch the floor? I've already proved even without a mid range game, Bogut can be effective on high pick and rolls so spacing is not an issue. Monroe is also a very good passer so double teamming him is a risk, and a solid finisher in traffic on congested lanes. There's enough shooting in the wings to stretch the floor for the bigs. And Andy has a solid passing ability and a good 10-18 feet shot. We don't need to play small ball to execute on offense, whether it's fast break or half court.

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Oklahoma City
Your team features a dynamic one-two combo with Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard. Do you expect them to have personality clashes? Rose has a personality similar to Kobe and Rondo - a "me against the world" personality if you will - and Howard is the polar opposite. From what we saw and heard about last season, Kobe and Howard had difficulties together. Is this something that will effect on court play?

I disagree that Rose has similar personality to Kobe. while both are supremely competitive, Kobe is hypercritical and demanding, a perfectionist, while Rose tends to internalize. When faced with a loss, Kobe will tell a teammate, "You need to do this better;" Rose will say, "I need to do this better."

Someone else raised doubts about the dynamic of Rose and Howard, and I responded with this: Rose is someone Howard will respect as a peer, teammate, and person. Rose will make the game fun again for Howard, thanks to the pick and roll. The dynamic between Kobe and Howard last year was one of confrontation: the dynamic between Rose and Howard will literally be one of cooperation.

I also think that OKC is the perfect market for Howard. He goes back to being a big fish in a small pond, and the only game in town.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague