Author Topic: The decline of Tim Tebow  (Read 11632 times)

Re: The decline of Tim Tebow
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
At some point he needs to do a Denard Robinson and just admit that he's not cut to be QB.

I'm echoing a lot of statement and he should at least try playing TE. He's strong and big enough to block, he has decent speed and incredible force when he runs, which will result in a ton of YAC's. I'm not sure as to how his hands are when it comes to catching but I think that's a much more learn-able thing than learning how to be accurate at throwing the football.

I like him, and I though he'd be a good QB. But if the Patriots think he's not cut at that position, I'm not disputing that.

Play TE Tim. You're too good of a football player and a person to not be playing in the NFL.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hernandez works because of his speed. Tebow has the speed to do traditional TE routes and screens though.

Yeah, Tebow doesn't have the speed of Hernandez but I do think you can set him & run him out of the backfield and pick up decent chunks of yards as well as run TE pass routes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
So Matt Jones is an interesting comp. Fairly successful college QB, much more athletic (6'6, 242, 4.37). Tried immediately switching to WR/TE, flamed out. Maybe because of drugs, but even before those arose he wasn't great.

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1645
  • What a Pub Should Be
So Matt Jones is an interesting comp. Fairly successful college QB, much more athletic (6'6, 242, 4.37). Tried immediately switching to WR/TE, flamed out. Maybe because of drugs, but even before those arose he wasn't great.

Matt Jones was a freak of nature from an athletic standpoint.  He just never had his head on straight and the drugs certainly didn't help.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Again, there is a lot more to being a TE, H Back type player than just having some athleticism compared to other QBs.

First off, we have no idea how good his hands are or if he has what it takes to catch a professionally thrown ball.

Second, we have zero clue if he knows how to run a proper passing route. There are players that have been WRs and TEs since they were kids who don't know how to run a proper route and don't make the NFL.

Third, we have even less knowledge about whether he can do the first two things and then be able to hang onto a ball while getting his ass handed to him from linebackers and safeties and CBs that he won't see coming because he's looking for the ball.

Fourth, the man simply may have no clue how to block. There are proper techniques and footwork for such things and he's never had to do it.

And these are the major issues. I think just because he has been an option QB does not mean he necessarily has what it takes to be a professional TE or H Back or fullback or whatever. I think that assumption a bit out there myself.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Tebow belongs at fullback....first of all he's a guy that averaged like 5 ypc....that's Barry Sanders.  Jim Brown is the only player that averaged more than that for a career.  Second I think he could probably block someone way better than run a route, catch a ball, then hang onto it and turn upfield. I think nick is making good points here.  Third he's a danger as a QB. The halfback pass would have to always be respected. Think Mike Alstott with some minor throwing ability.  And some minor ability to read a defense. Minor. Over time TE and H back could emerge. 

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Back to Tim Tebow...I read this morning that he is now being pursued by three entities:  CBS, Fox and ESPN as announcer for college sports and show host!  Let the bidding begin.  Good for Tim!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!