Author Topic: Ford: 7 teams prepared to tank for wiggins  (Read 9113 times)

Re: Ford: 7 teams prepared to tank for wiggins
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Then there is Detroit, Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia and Orlando.

I wouldn't bet on the Celtics being better than Detroit, Atlanta, or Milwaukee.  Even Orlando could surprise if Oladipo comes in and has a major impact and they see some nice improvement from Harris and Harkless.

Why?

The Celtics don't have a rotation worthy center on their roster.

Meanwhile, those other teams have Al Horford, Andre Drummond / Greg Monroe, Larry Sanders / John Henson, and Nikola Vucevic.

I'm a big believer that the best indicator of regular season success, in the absence of an MVP-caliber player, is how good the team's best big man is, followed by the point guard situation.

I agree with this, combined with the fact that our defense is going to be horrible this year.

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

I wouldn't bet on the Celtics being better than Detroit, Atlanta, or Milwaukee.  Even Orlando could surprise if Oladipo comes in and has a major impact and they see some nice improvement from Harris and Harkless.

Why?

Meanwhile, those other teams have Al Horford, Andre Drummond / Greg Monroe, Larry Sanders / John Henson, and Nikola Vucevic.

I'm a big believer that the best indicator of regular season success, in the absence of an MVP-caliber player, is how good the team's best big man is, followed by the point guard situation.

Detroit or Atlanta could move alongside or surpass Boston based on what they do here in free agency ... but neither team's FA hopes look all that promising. So for now I will leave them a tier below Boston, Cleveland and Milwaukee.

But they are definitely two teams that could move up quite a bit over the next month or so.

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I expect the Wizards (aka the team that gave Martell Webster a four-year full MLE contract) to have a decent chance at finding a way to suck.  Sure, they may have John Wall for a full season, but will Nene and Okafur both be healthy and non-declining?  They added Eric Mynor, but there is reportedly mutual interest in Antawn Jamison coming back.  I wouldn't be shocked to see them finish with less than 30 wins.
I think how the Wizards do also depends on Beal. If he has a breakout season, which he is capable of, then I doubt they'll tank. Between Wall and Beal, you're looking at two potential top 10 players in their respective positions at least.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
Teams that intentionally tank should be stripped of draft picks.  Its disgraceful.

You clearly do not know what "tanking" means. and even if they did intentionally throwing games, teams can do whatever the heck they want. It is their team and their money and they see what direction to go.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Why?

Other than Detroit's duo (and they have very little talent anywhere else), I don't find any of the rest of those front lines particularly imposing. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Why?

Other than Detroit's duo (and they have very little talent anywhere else), I don't find any of the rest of those front lines particularly imposing.

Imposing?  No, that's not the word I'd use.

Superior to the Celtics' current frontline?  Absolutely.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
But danny promised we are not tanking

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Why?

Imposing?  No, that's not the word I'd use.

Superior to the Celtics' current frontline?  Absolutely.

That's probably true, but having an elite point guard can definitely help make mediocre bigs look better.  I think it's fair to say that we have a better small forward than any of those teams, as well. 

I'm not saying that we are going to compete for a title, but I do see this Celtics team being in the hunt for the playoffs.  I guess we could finish 9th or 10th as well, though, depending on how things play out.  A lot of course depends on how healthy Rondo is and how early he's healthy. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
well looks like Mil will definitely be in the playoffs next year.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m

Milwaukee is nearing a deal to sign free agent guard O.J. Mayo, league sources tell Y Sports.

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
But danny promised we are not tanking

believe only half of what you see and none of what you hear.  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Teams that intentionally tank should be stripped of draft picks.  Its disgraceful.

You clearly do not know what "tanking" means. and even if they did intentionally throwing games, teams can do whatever the heck they want. It is their team and their money and they see what direction to go.

I know what "tanking" is, and it is disgusting.  Only those with a lack of character endorse it, and it is an affront to true competition.

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
well looks like Mil will definitely be in the playoffs next year.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m

Milwaukee is nearing a deal to sign free agent guard O.J. Mayo, league sources tell Y Sports.

Depends on what Atlanta does or Boston for that matter.

Mayo doesn't make them better necessarily. They already had a similar caliber guys in Jennings/Ellis playing in their backcourt.

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Even if we fail to get Wiggins, there are so many other players to get. I for one, think Aaron Gordon is pretty good well. He is explosive, has handles, and from the videos looks like a good defender.

And there are so many more like Parker and Smart...I don't think the next 5 players are so far off from Wiggins to be honest

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I know what "tanking" is, and it is disgusting.  Only those with a lack of character endorse it, and it is an affront to true competition.
what do you want us to compete for ? the 8th spot in the playoffs so we can get swept by Miami? miss out on the deepest , most talented lottery in a decade , and likely means Rondo is gone in 2 years if we don't add legit talent around him.... Great !!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
How do you prove it, though? It would be even more subjective than the flopping rule.