Author Topic: Well...KG isnt going to the Clippers  (Read 6932 times)

Re: Well...KG isnt going to the Clippers
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 11:29:07 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I understand the intentions behind the no-trade rule Stern is implementing but wow, this seems like he's going too far, restricting trades altogether. Nothing out of the ordinary for monarch Stern, though.

I don't see a middle ground between doing nothing (and letting the teams artificially break up the deal into two separate transactions when everyone knows it is a package deal is doing nothing) and restricting a trade between the two teams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
David Stern retires Feb 1 2014 (Praise the Lord). The trading deadline is 3rd or 4th Thusday in Feb. If KG wants to play 1/2 a season in Boston there will be no stopping Kg from being traded even if he sits out until Ainge trades him.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
David Stern retires Feb 1 2014 (Praise the Lord). The trading deadline is 3rd or 4th Thusday in Feb. If KG wants to play 1/2 a season in Boston there will be no stopping Kg from being traded even if he sits out until Ainge trades him.

If PP sticks around and Rondo and Sully are healthy he'll probably try to avoid a trade to the Clips because he'd be more likely to advance in the playoffs staying on the Celts.

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If a day or even a week pass, the Celtics aren't obligated to send KG to the Clippers and the Clippers aren't obligated to make a trade for KG.  I don't see how anyone could say these trades were dependent on each other.  The fact that the trade is made and there is a period of time passing is evidence that these are independent deals.

To me this just says, make deals at your own risk.  If you are the Clippers and you think the Celtics are obligated to deal KG to you, don't cry when they don't.

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

If PP sticks around and Rondo and Sully are healthy he'll probably try to avoid a trade to the Clips because he'd be more likely to advance in the playoffs staying on the Celts.
were you against a rebuild all along or still are?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
King Stern couldn`t pass up an opportunity to make an example out of the Celtics.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 07:38:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I understand the intentions behind the no-trade rule Stern is implementing but wow, this seems like he's going too far, restricting trades altogether. Nothing out of the ordinary for monarch Stern, though.

I don't see a middle ground between doing nothing (and letting the teams artificially break up the deal into two separate transactions when everyone knows it is a package deal is doing nothing) and restricting a trade between the two teams.

Don't teams do "side deals" all the time, just involving other players rather than coaches?

A ton of trades go through every year that wouldn't be legal as single transactions, but do work as multiple smaller deals announced at the same time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Don't teams do "side deals" all the time, just involving other players rather than coaches?

A ton of trades go through every year that wouldn't be legal as single transactions, but do work as multiple smaller deals announced at the same time.

But teams usually don't do (and aren't allowed to do) things of that nature that don't involve player contracts, draft considerations, or (a limited amount) of cash.

There's a difference between accounting fictions to make a trade work under the salary cap which have been an accepted practice and, well, this.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference