Author Topic: Is my wife overreacting?  (Read 16811 times)

Re: Is my wife overreacting?
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
TPs to all of you, i appreciate the responses.
to answer some questions:
yes i am a father, i got 3 kids.
and by overreacting i mean, she demands i will tell the woman to stop texting me, which i think will make things weird. and she keep bringing this topic up daily and check my phone...
also she started a similer topic on some girly blog and needles to say all the woman on that blog agreed with her ??? ???
Women agreeing often means nothing as far as what their opinion is. They are likely being supportive rather than actually agreeing with the content of what she is saying.

First you owe me a TP because you said TP to all of you , and I did not get a TP.

seriously?! lol

Give us a link to the girly forum, and lets see her version of this.

yes!!!

Re: Is my wife overreacting?
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
I would start by not judging this as an overreaction which implies that her response should be different and is incorrect.  Her reaction is her reaction.  The only thing you are in control of is your response to her reaction.    Everyone here is speculating as to the reasons behind her reaction -- these are guesses based on insufficient information. 

She is upset about the text -- and that is primarily all that matters.

My advice is to listen to your wife.  Tell her that you understand that she is upset about it (you don't need to understand why, you don't need to make a judgment about whether she should or shouldn't be upset, and you don't need to justify the other lady's intent).  Tell her that the most important thing to you is that she (your wife) is not uncomfortable about the situation and you are willing to do whatever will help her to not be upset about it. If she asks that you cut off or limit contact with the woman tell her that you will do that because your relationship with your wife is far more important to you than sustaining an acquaintanceship with this woman and her son. 

It is possible after this conversation that your wife will relax and perhaps find a solution that makes her comfortable and maybe doesn't require you to cut off all contact (probably an uncomfortable thing for you to do).   The bottom line is -- acknowledge that she feels upset by it and that her discomfort matters to you.