Author Topic: Dwight Howard reportedly strongly considering Houston and Dallas  (Read 8485 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2730
from CBSSports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22270956/howard-no-lock-to-return-to-lakers-to-explore-fa-options-intrigued-by-rockets

Those close to Howard indicate a return to the lakers is far from guaranteed and he is strongly considering Houston, and also Dallas who is a transaction away from being able to sign him outright.

I would love to see Dwight bolt from the lakers, although that may mean they target Kevin Love next.

If Dallas is desperate to shed salary off the books, maybe we can get a good deal from them for Pierce's contract.

Once again, the NBA trading and free agent period hinges on Dwight Howard.

Re: Dwight Howard reportedly strongly considering Houston and Dallas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:45:55 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I think Dwight Howard makes the Rockets a contender.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Interesting.

For some reason, I don't see him going to Houston. I think the Rockets are pretty set and if anything, they would need Josh Smith more than DH to play the 4 with Asik at the 5 and Harden at the 3.

Dallas is definitely a good fit! Also, what's intriguing about Dallas is (correct me if I am wrong) don't they have enough cap space for two max players??

If so, then CP3 and Howard teaming up becomes a reality. Then, you'd have your new super-trio with Paul, Howard and Dirk.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think Dwight Howard makes the Rockets a contender.

Yup. Howard and Harden together would be nasty. Plus unlike D'Antoni and Van Gundy, I think Kevin McHale would be a coach that Dwight would look up to and listen to.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Interesting.

For some reason, I don't see him going to Houston. I think the Rockets are pretty set and if anything, they would need Josh Smith more than DH to play the 4 with Asik at the 5 and Harden at the 3.

Houston is anything BUT set. Morey made the team in a way that would allow him to get Dwight for a duo with Harden. With Harden+Howard, Houston is a contender. (I like the all "h"s)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Interesting.

Houston is anything BUT set. Morey made the team in a way that would allow him to get Dwight for a duo with Harden. With Harden+Howard, Houston is a contender. (I like the all "h"s)

Lol, and HHH from the WWE can be their spokesman. That is true though because they can also have Asik back up Howard.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

Offline TheBig5

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
If Houston gets a healthy Howard along with a couple pure shooters that team would be fun to watch.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Interesting.

Lol, and HHH from the WWE can be their spokesman. That is true though because they can also have Asik back up Howard.

Oh, so that's why I see people spelling his name "Hasik"... they wanted to stick with the theme!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 08:07:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Interesting.

Also, reportedly, Morey has quietly asked around to assess the trade value of Asik and Lin.  That's a no-brainer, since they are the only big contracts other than Harden on the roster, so at least one might have to be included in a trade, depending on how their cap situation shakes out and what other transactions they might do.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
Interesting.

Also, reportedly, Morey has quietly asked around to assess the trade value of Asik and Lin.  That's a no-brainer, since they are the only big contracts other than Harden on the roster, so at least one might have to be included in a trade, depending on how their cap situation shakes out and what other transactions they might do.

Any deal that Howard is part of, Morey can afford to give up everything. Why else has he compiled so many young assets? Youngest team in the league, and full of good talent. DMo, Lin, Asik, Robinson, Parsons, Beverley, Brooks, Jones, Smith, Garcia... everyone's up for trade.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
Like sir Charles and Shaq said on TV, if the guy REALLY was a LAKER at heart ,  he would have left NO DOUBT about his resigning and spoke out about his intentions .     I think the hesitation itself is enough for me not to trust his heart and motives for being a LAKER

I really think Howard wants out of LA myself.   Just a guess though.

If LA KNEW for sure DH was resigning , they would be trying to dump Pau ,  but they will need Pau if DH doesn't return.    I guess this makes Pau feel like a turd. 
WOuldn't mind getting ASIK  as our center.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With this information I see Dallas and Houston moving to the top of the list of trading for Pierce (then releasing him to clear money).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
With this information I see Dallas and Houston moving to the top of the list of trading for Pierce (then releasing him to clear money).

Sure. But how? They'd have to trade for Pierce before June 30, which means they need to send salary back to Boston.

Who does Houston send? Dallas we've already discussed (Marion would need to exercise his option early, somehow, for starters).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
Howard wants to play with Asik.  He won't be traded.  I don't think they would trade Lin either and clearly wouldn't move Harden.  anyone else would obviously be fair game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Sure. But how? They'd have to trade for Pierce before June 30, which means they need to send salary back to Boston.

Who does Houston send? Dallas we've already discussed (Marion would need to exercise his option early, somehow, for starters).
With Dallas you make a valid point.Tp

For Houston they were $6 MM under the cap. Which means they only need to send $6 MM back to us. So Thomas Robinson Delfino and a pick would work. Greg Smith, Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones or Royce White could all be added if that wasn't enough value for Pierce.

PS-I'm not sure if you can trade someone with only a team option for next year. Delfino has a 3 MM team option for next year. Would Houston need to pick up that option to move him?

Howard wants to play with Asik.  He won't be traded.  I don't think they would trade Lin either and clearly wouldn't move Harden.  anyone else would obviously be fair game.
Where did you hear this?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:19:48 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19