Author Topic: Paul Pierce's Contract  (Read 2025 times)

Paul Pierce's Contract
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Really simple: Can someone explain it to me?

I know it is for a certain amount but only part of it is guaranteed. How does that work exactly? Can we cut him? (Not suggesting we do) If he retires, how would that work? If we traded him which figure is used? Could we sign him for the low number? How does count against next years cap? Is there flexibility? Can someone just give me as much detail regarding how he could get paid next year and how it counts against the cap please?

Re: Paul Pierce's Contract
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:09:53 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Pierce gets his money this year.

If we want him, next year he gets paid a ton more money... 14 mil?
If not, we can cut him and only pay around 4 mil.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:27:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pierce gets paid $16,790,345 this year.  That amount is fully guaranteed.

Next season, Pierce's deal is worth a reported $15,333,334.  Last night, Pierce played in his 41st game, which triggers a clause in his contract that guarantees him $5 million.  The remaining $10 million+ becomes fully guaranteed if Pierce isn't waived by July 1, 2013.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that the team could waive Pierce, pay him his $5 million, and then sign him to a new contract.  We'd lose Bird rights to him by doing so, though, and could only sign him using cap space or another exception (like the MLE).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If both KG and PP wants to win, they could rework their contracts so they could get someone next season..but have to trade Bass, Green, or Lee also..Magic Johnson rework his contract in late 80's so they could sign Mychal Thompson (i think that who it was)
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If both KG and PP wants to win, they could rework their contracts so they could get someone next season..but have to trade Bass, Green, or Lee also..Magic Johnson rework his contract in late 80's so they could sign Mychal Thompson (i think that who it was)

Players aren't allowed to renegotiate their contracts downward in the NBA.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Players aren't allowed to renegotiate their contracts downward in the NBA.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59
Thanks didnt know that..thats a bummer
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Next season, Pierce's deal is worth a reported $15,333,334.  Last night, Pierce played in his 41st game, which triggers a clause in his contract that guarantees him $5 million.  The remaining $10 million+ becomes fully guaranteed if Pierce isn't waived by July 1, 2013.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that the team could waive Pierce, pay him his $5 million, and then sign him to a new contract.  We'd lose Bird rights to him by doing so, though, and could only sign him using cap space or another exception (like the MLE).

Now, if I understand the rules correctly, the C's could trade Pierce on draft night to another team trying to save cash, who would then cut him before July 1st and pay him just the $5 million, correct?  But, then he could NOT resign with the C's for a calendar year, because they consider him as being cut by the new team, not having simply declined an option or something.  Is that right?

I do think Pierce's contract could be very valuable on draft night, if the C's decide to move in another direction, even if he can't come back and resign. 

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Now, if I understand the rules correctly, the C's could trade Pierce on draft night to another team trying to save cash, who would then cut him before July 1st and pay him just the $5 million, correct?  But, then he could NOT resign with the C's for a calendar year, because they consider him as being cut by the new team, not having simply declined an option or something.  Is that right?

I do think Pierce's contract could be very valuable on draft night, if the C's decide to move in another direction, even if he can't come back and resign.

Obviously I haven't seen the actual contract language, but so long as neither Pierce nor the Celtics have an option -- rather than simply a certain amount that is non-guaranteed -- then this is correct.