Author Topic: Ainge on Doc: "Nobody I want more to coach my team"  (Read 4175 times)

Ainge on Doc: "Nobody I want more to coach my team"
« on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2012/12/danny_ainge_gives_doc_rivers_v.html

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Ainge-Despite-Cs-troubles-Rivers-job-is-?blockID=817959&feedID=10424

"Doc (Rivers) has proven his worth as a coach," Danny Ainge, Boston's President of Basketball Operations, told CSNNE.com. "There's nobody I want more to coach my team, than Doc Rivers."

There you have it, Ainge publicly declared that Doc will remain the coach and eliminates any possibility or danger of Doc leaving.

Now everyone can get back to their normal life instead of crying about how bad Doc is.

Re: Ainge on Doc: "Nobody I want more to coach my team"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
TP for the post.  I don't think it is going to stop the complaining about Doc though.  They will all just say get rid of DA along with Doc...

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
TP for the post.  I don't think it is going to stop the complaining about Doc though.  They will all just say get rid of DA along with Doc...
That's true. Its already bad enough for all these posts of getting rid of Doc. Now if these "get rid of DA" posts come too, it will be worse.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480
It is funny how everyone was so complimentary about DA's off season work.  But when the new guys come in and don't perform up to what they expect, suddenly DA and the front office didn't know what they were doing. 

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Doc's not going anywhere, he never was. Can you imagine the reaction of KG of Doc being fired? Despite his faults as a coach, his players have a lot of loyalty to him and it shows.

As far as his coaching this season, rotations have frustrated me a bit at times but I the longer the season wears on, the more I question how the pieces fit here. I mean, we've based our success on being a defensive juggernaut, but the primary offseason editions have been subpar defenders throughout their careers. JET, Jeff Green, Bass, Wilcox - those aren't great defensive players, some are better than others, but not by much. I think this is a case of "we have a defensive system and we know what we need to do, but we just don't have the pieces to properly run it."
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It is funny how everyone was so complimentary about DA's off season work.  But when the new guys come in and don't perform up to what they expect, suddenly DA and the front office didn't know what they were doing.

Yerp. They can't fire themselves as a backseat driver and poor predictor of talent, so they pretend fire Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Since when was there a danger of Doc being fired?

People are just upset with Doc because he's not freaking out like they are.  He's not worried about Terry, Pierce, KG, the poor defense, etc. and throwing all the stuff he's done for the past 5 years out the window.  He has faith in the team, and even when they're losing badly he acts like it's out of character and completely fixable.  He treats the team the exact same way whether they're on a 10 game winning streak or 10 game losing streak.  He doesn't overreact.

Ainge says it perfectly:

Ainge added, "One thing I've learned in this business is patience is a virtue. That's one of the reasons why I love Doc. Because when things aren't going well, there's no one I want in my corner more. Anybody can put on a smiley face and come to work with energy and enthusiasm and passion when you're winning. But it takes a special person to do it with an 18, 19-game losing streak with a bunch of young players and to still have that respect and work ethic before we were able to put a great team together and obviously, have some success."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I agree with DA. If 2010 and last year showed us anything, it's to never count Doc out with this core.

Doc's a great coach. He knows what he is doing and it's not like there are better options out there to replace him with. If we fired Doc today he would have a job tomorrow as an NBA head coach if he wanted it.

The call to relieve him of his duties is ludicrous.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Thats good.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Doc's awesome.  He's a guy who genuinely cares, and always has his heart in the right place.  He's a good man and he's got a great track record.  I hope he gets to leave whenever he feels it's time to do so.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is getting silly.  I expected the "blow it up!" stuff last year with Ray and KG in their final years of their contracts, but I never expected what I am reading all over the place this year.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Every year(really since the KG injury year) the c's go through a stretch of .500 basketball and the board starts freaking out about how we need to blow it up and fire everyone..

generally its in the 2nd half of the season (2010, 2011)...lately its in the 1st half of the season.(11-12, 12-13)

they just need a serviceable center, as well as improved Guard defense.

with Bradley coming back we can easily solve #2 on that list ...I know alot of posters keep saying that we are putting alot on his shoulders...but just from stats alone he made a HUGE difference on that defense last year being in the lineup.

then hopefully we can acquire a semi-decent big like Dalembert or even K-mart to play alongside KG

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Doc's not going anywhere, he never was. Can you imagine the reaction of KG of Doc being fired? Despite his faults as a coach, his players have a lot of loyalty to him and it shows.

As far as his coaching this season, rotations have frustrated me a bit at times but I the longer the season wears on, the more I question how the pieces fit here. I mean, we've based our success on being a defensive juggernaut, but the primary offseason editions have been subpar defenders throughout their careers. JET, Jeff Green, Bass, Wilcox - those aren't great defensive players, some are better than others, but not by much. I think this is a case of "we have a defensive system and we know what we need to do, but we just don't have the pieces to properly run it."

Good point, but I think a lot of Celtics fans are also wondering, "Why do we go with small-ball lineups but play a half-court style?"

I'm not for firing Doc, but it makes no sense to play a style not suited to your personnel.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
uummm sounds like to me Danny is going to retire Doc. The Emperor has no clothes.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
This is very old news and well known.