Author Topic: James Harden gets 5 yr $80M from Houston  (Read 3464 times)

James Harden gets 5 yr $80M from Houston
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/263722857018843136

Discuss.

I think this is destined to turn out very similar to Rudy Gay's contract.  Giving max money for a long time to a very good, but nowhere near max player.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: James Harden gets 5 yr $80M from Houston
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 608
Thats a lot of money for him. I guess they are paying him for his ability to turn invisible. His vanishing act during the finals was nothing short of amazing.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1701
I don't know what Houston is thinking.  He's never been more than the third-best player on a team.  Why are they paying him like he's the top dog?  And why are they paying him that money before he's even put on the uniform for them?

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:01:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know what Houston is thinking.  He's never been more than the third-best player on a team.  Why are they paying him like he's the top dog?  And why are they paying him that money before he's even put on the uniform for them?
Because you don't trade a TON of assets for a player and then suddenly decide to: "let the market sort things out in RFA" like the Knicks/Bulls did with Asik/Lin.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Because you don't trade a TON of assets for a player and then suddenly decide to: "let the market sort things out in RFA" like the Knicks/Bulls did with Asik/Lin.
Yeah, you risk losing a player when you don't negotiate early enough, but that still doesn't make it wise to throw fiscal prudence out the window.  How much more could Harden have gotten in RFA?

Nobody forced them to trade away all the assets for Harden.  If this was a premeditated decision to trade for him, then sign him to that deal, I think the entire decision was a very bad one.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yeah, you risk losing a player when you don't negotiate early enough, but that still doesn't make it wise to throw fiscal prudence out the window.  How much more could Harden have gotten in RFA?

Nobody forced them to trade away all the assets for Harden.  If this was a premeditated decision to trade for him, then sign him to that deal, I think the entire decision was a very bad one.
He could have gotten 4 years and 60 million I believe, something like that.

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Which is less overall and yearly than what he just signed for...

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Which is less overall and yearly than what he just signed for...
By a whole million dollars per year, not a savings that is worth immediately burning bridges with the player you trust traded for and called a franchise level guy publicly.

Not only that but at 23 the extra risk assumed via the fifth year isn't all that large.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Being third-best on a team with Durant and Westbrook is nothing to sneeze at.

You could have said the same thing about Rondo at age 23.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I'm not sure he's notably "worse" than Westbrook. I have them as roughly equal level players.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Harden is a max contract player. Good contract.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Rondo signed for considerably less money.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

I'm not sure he's notably "worse" than Westbrook. I have them as roughly equal level players.

I would agree in terms of my assessment of their abilities, but it is pretty clear that Westbrook had a bigger role on that team.

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Harden is a max contract player. Good contract.

I agree.  I think with him as a primary option on offense his numbers should get to around D-Wades. 

Im not saying he is as good, but I think the numbers should be similar. 

I think a 25 PPG, 5 RPG and 6 APG line shouldnt be out of the question
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Rondo signed for considerably less money.

I wasn't comparing Rondo's abilities to Harden's. I'm just saying that "third best on a team" is kind of meaningless as a measure of ability.

I mean, the third-best player on Charlotte right now might be Kemba Walker.