Author Topic: Rockets lineup with Howard  (Read 7766 times)

Re: Rockets lineup with Howard
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dont understand the logic in signing Osik to 8 mil a year and then selling the farm and starting from scratch to get Howard as well.

Well, Asik wouldn't be $8 a year, I don't think. The contract is backloaded, with the last year being $15 million.

Still, it'd be quite a bit of money to pay a backup center.
It averages 8 million a year on their cap if the Bulls don't match per the new CBA.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
Maybe the master plan is to start both Asik and Howard so that they can catch all of Lin's rebounds when they let Lin jack up 30 shots a game.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
you basically have a Magic starting 5 of:

Howard
BBD
Turkoglu
Richardson
Duhon

who would they have besides what they got from the Magic?

Gary Forbes?
Toney Douglas?

Potentially Jeremy Lin and/or Omer Asik.
If both Lin and Asik's offers aren't matched they won't have the cap space to absorb so many of the Magic's deals.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I dont understand the logic in signing Osik to 8 mil a year and then selling the farm and starting from scratch to get Howard as well.

Well, Asik wouldn't be $8 a year, I don't think. The contract is backloaded, with the last year being $15 million.

It averages 8 million a year on their cap if the Bulls don't match per the new CBA.

Yes. But it's not $8 mil a year on the Rockets cap if the Bulls don't match.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yes. But it's not $8 mil a year on the Rockets cap if the Bulls don't match.
Yes it is.

For the team making this offer, this contract would count for $9.0 million (i.e., the average salary in the contract) of team salary in each of the four seasons if they sign the player. If the player's prior team matches the offer and keeps the player, then the actual salary in each season counts as team salary. The player's original team is allowed to use any available exception (e.g., the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Early Bird) to match the offer.

Since a team must fit the average salary from the entire contract under the cap in order to offer the large third-season raise, a team must have some amount of cap room above the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception amount in order to effectively utilize this provision. For example, suppose the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception amount is $5 million, and a team with $5.1 million of cap room wants to provide a four-year offer sheet. If they want to offer a larger-than-normal third-year raise, then their cap room will be determined by the contract's average salary, so the total contract must pay $20.4 million or less. If they offer $5 million and $5.225 million in the first two seasons, then that leaves just $10.175 million for the final two seasons -- so there must be a decrease in salary in the final two seasons. A team in this situation is better off providing the standard 4.5% raise in the third season, which does not trigger the cap room requirement based on averaging. In this example, a four year offer starting at $5 million with 4.5% raises would total $21.35 million.
From the Larry Coon FAQ

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »

Offline spinz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
now THIS is what howard deserves. Come on houston, make it happen.
Gotta admit i feel bad for the rockets though... this is insane.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Ah, I reversed it. It'll be $15 mil on the Bulls cap in year 3, but averaged out for the Rockets.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
I guess I'm about as happy about this as I can be , given he isn't staying with his buddy da BIG GRAVY in Orlando.

First it denies the ----- Lakers Fans from something they want Sooooooooooooooooooooo bad for change.  That means they might get him next year in a trade with LA for Gasol , BUT , LA LOSES one more year of KOBE will be 35 next year hee hee he ....they aren't winning a championship next two years. So Kobe might be 36-37 years old before Howard ever gets on the LA team with CP3.

Second..... it takes Howard OUT of the EAST and out of our hair. , for now ...

OKC should have offered Hardin , Ibaka , and some picks for Howard.  It woul dhave been a dynasty. and How could Howard turn his back on West brook and Durrant and 4-5 rings.

Bad news is.....HOWARD will never resign with Houston.... so we are going to have to ENDURE another round of Howard and his diva driven destination .

I will be loving it , if he sucks after back surgery.    :D

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I am not mistaken, Morey could always sign-and-trade Dwight next offseason.  So he probably won't get something for nothing.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Yeah, but the Sign & Trade is not as easy to do in the new CBA.

Anyone have a link to the deal rumor? Been traveling for business and not following the NBA closely.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I dunno who the guards would be but the frontline would be Parsons, montejunas, and dwight.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
... they are taking everything Houston has in the rumored deal.  3 young players in Patterson, Morris, Parsons, plus the 3 first round picks from this years draft, plus Kevin Martin.  Plus they would still have JJ Reddick and they drafted Andrew Nicholson.  Thats a super young team, but they would have assets thats for sure. 
What an enormous gamble by Houston.  If Howard ends up not re-signing with them, they'll make last years Hornets look like the 86 Celtics by comparison.  Will be an unmitigated disaster.

Just in time for Jabari Parker and possibly Andrew Wiggins. I think they'd live with that.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Houston must think very, very highly of their overseas prospect. Like, very highly.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So according to David Aldridge, the Rockets are now offering just one of their 1sts this year, and offering to take back just one contract from Orlando beyond Dwight.

I bet it ends as more, with likely 2 bad contracts, two of their picks this year, and a future first.

But if they can retain at least Lamb and Parsons, I think Houston will be okay. Especially if they also get back Jrich

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
... they are taking everything Houston has in the rumored deal.  3 young players in Patterson, Morris, Parsons, plus the 3 first round picks from this years draft, plus Kevin Martin.  Plus they would still have JJ Reddick and they drafted Andrew Nicholson.  Thats a super young team, but they would have assets thats for sure. 
What an enormous gamble by Houston.  If Howard ends up not re-signing with them, they'll make last years Hornets look like the 86 Celtics by comparison.  Will be an unmitigated disaster.

Not really. I mean they never stood a chance to do anything in the West anyway. Roll the dice on Howard and hopefully they can re-sign him. If he doesn't wanna play there then sign and trade him for Bynum or Whatever Brooklyn wants.
If he walks, oh well- go back to the lottery and use your young guys from this years draft to try and start fresh.
They ain't going no where the way they are now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.