Author Topic: Now that we know KG makes 11 mil next year, how is the rest of the cap spent?  (Read 14759 times)

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Turiaf, I believe had a similar issue that was fixed. Is the 70 million dollar cap ceiling official? This year we should have a little more to spend with KG taking 11 million as opposed to 20. They'll have the MLE, after whatever signings they need to make...Jeff Green will probably get 5 million "show me" deal to show that he's fully healthy and can play. Wilcox will probably get 2 million...Steamer is worth the qualifying offer, if he gets more in FA sign and trade him for a TPE, same with Bass get a TPE for him has well and a pick (even if its in the 2nd round) combine those to make a deal at the deadline to help the team.

Say for example Bass gets 7 million a year and Steamer gets 3...if you can combine those two in a trade (I'm not sure if you can) to get a guy like Josh Smith at the deadline obviously its going to take much more than that but it would work to take back salary.

Sign
Kaman (MLE)
Green
Ray Allen
Kristic or Camby
Peaches
Dooling

Trade
Bass for TPE
Steamer for TPE

Final roster
PG: Rondo/Dooling
SG: Ray/Bradley/Moore
SF: Pierce/Green/Peaches
PF: KG/JJJ/Sullinger
C : Kaman/Camby or Kristic/Melo

Trade Chips (TPE for Steamer 2 million), TPE for Bass (7 million)

EDIT: Joseph goes to the D-League to play for a while
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:06:40 PM by tyrone biggums »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2: people keep talking about the bi-annual exception. didn't they get rid of that in the new CBA?

Nope, it's still there.  Just have to be under the tax apron (after using it) in order to use it.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
just bring back everyone.   Cap space was always a myth.

If they really like Sullinger I'd look at a s&t for Bass. If they really want Mayo I'd look at the same for Ray.

I completely agree. S&T's are the only way new blood is coming. The team we can build on bird rights is far better than the team we can build with FA signings. There isn't cap space for anything else.

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 151
Haven't looked through the last few pages, but Hollinger says there are two options:

1) Celtics have $13 million in cap space left to spend on the last five players for their roster (not sure if that includes vet minimum contracts or not)

or

2) Resign Bass and Green to market-value deals, hang on to Curly's rights and have the full midlevel exception to spend.

My preferred option is clearly the second one. The first makes literally no sense. I'd prefer to resign Green and one of Bass and Ray, and try to sign and trade the other. You've got Curly's rights if he wants to come back over after a strong year in Russia, and you've got the full exception for a center as long as you stay under the tax line.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

Offline Bombastic Jones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
The front page said the luxury tax apron is $72, so ...
[Edit] My mistake, the apron is guaranteed to be at least $70,306,000, but could be higher

Kevin Garnett   $11,000,000
Paul Pierce   $16,790,345
Rajon Rondo   $11,000,000
Avery Bradley   $1,630,800
JaJuan Johnson   $1,089,240
Sully           $1,089,240
Melo           $1,045,600
Greg Stiemsma   $1,054,389
E'Twaun Moore   $762,195
           $45,461,809

Ray             6,000,000
Kristic           6,000,000
Jeff Green   6,000,000
Bass            6,000,000
Wilcox          2,000,000
Dooling     1,000,000
Pietrus    1,000,000
           $71,461,809

That is 16 guys though, even though I like him I would say try to move Bass with a S&T 

[Edit2]This obviously doesnt help get the roster number down if we get a guy back.  Plus, if we resign all those guys for comparable numbers we obviously are not getting any FAs.  I say get Ray and Green then fill out the roster with whatever we can.  I dont want Crawford or Mayo to take Rays place  :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:15:28 PM by Bombastic Jones »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Package ray bass sign and trades along with moore and future first for josh smith.

use mid level on mayo

bring back green and dooling

use 3 mil exception on camby

rondo/dooling
bradley/mayo
pierce/green/joseph
smith/sully/jjj
kg/camby/melo

love it
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:39:51 PM by pearljammer10 »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
Love to see Marcus Camby play on the SAME team for once (Celtics) instead of against KG... ;D

Camby and KG would freakin rule in the paint. !!!

WANT :  KG, Pierce, Bradley, Rondo, Camby, J.Green, C. Wilcox , M. Pietrus,  Ray Allen & E. Moore ,Sean Williams.... Plus rookies Sully and Fab and Kris Joesph

....Trade/Wave/sell/relocate  ... Steamer, Bass, Dooling ,JJJ, Hollins ...

A bunch of the above and RAY ALLEN for Josh Smith would be ok.

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Rondo - Billups - Moore
Mayo - Bradley - Pietrus
Pierce - Green - Pietrus - Joeseph
KG - Sullinger - JJJ - Green.
Camby (or Kaman) - Stiemsma - Melo

Billups signs for vet min, a sign and trade involving Bass and Ray lands you OJ Mayo, and you sign either Camby or Kaman for center.

Offline Lioney

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Now;
Rondo
Bradley/Moore
Pierce/Jose
Sully/JJJ
Garnett/Melo/Stiemsma(!)

SF; Green(6-7) or Batum(8-10)
SG; Ray(4-5) or Mayo(6-7) or Terry(4-5)

Rondo/Moore
Bradley/Ray
Pierce/Green/Jose
Sully/JJJ
Garnett/Melo/Stiemsma(!)

12 players and we be over the salary cap;

3 players(1 MLE - 1 BAE - 1 Vet Min)

Camby, Hinrich and Pietrus would be perfect (for me);

Rondo/Hinrich/Moore
Bradley/Ray/Pietrus
Pierce/Green/Jose
Garnett/Sully/JJJ
Camby/Melo/Stiemsma

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • GOT IT!!!
Now;
Rondo
Bradley/Moore
Pierce/Jose
Sully/JJJ
Garnett/Melo/Stiemsma(!)

SF; Green(6-7) or Batum(8-10)
SG; Ray(4-5) or Mayo(6-7) or Terry(4-5)

Rondo/Moore
Bradley/Ray
Pierce/Green/Jose
Sully/JJJ
Garnett/Melo/Stiemsma(!)

12 players and we be over the salary cap;

3 players(1 MLE - 1 BAE - 1 Vet Min)

Camby, Hinrich and Pietrus would be perfect (for me);

Rondo/Hinrich/Moore
Bradley/Ray/Pietrus
Pierce/Green/Jose
Garnett/Sully/JJJ
Camby/Melo/Stiemsma

I would be be more than fine with that team going into next season. Maybe substitute Camby for Kaman if need be.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Haven't looked through the last few pages, but Hollinger says there are two options:

1) Celtics have $13 million in cap space left to spend on the last five players for their roster (not sure if that includes vet minimum contracts or not)

or

2) Resign Bass and Green to market-value deals, hang on to Curly's rights and have the full midlevel exception to spend.

My preferred option is clearly the second one. The first makes literally no sense. I'd prefer to resign Green and one of Bass and Ray, and try to sign and trade the other. You've got Curly's rights if he wants to come back over after a strong year in Russia, and you've got the full exception for a center as long as you stay under the tax line.

Yep, too many fans want it both ways. I like the second option much more than the first...
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I have a gut feeling Allen is gone..to Miami  :-\ W/e wish him well nonetheless.

Resign Green, cheapest of either Mayo or Crawford, then use the rest of money to get a Center. Wouldn't mind Nenad, Camby, etc.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Here's one thing to consider:

Will the Cs bring back:
Ray Allen (or do a S&T)
Jeff Green (or do a S&T)
Brandon Bass (or do a S&T)
Krstic (or sign some other Center to the mini MLE)
?

Those are four players (or positions) which could potentially command a lot of money. Do the Cs want to commit the resources to it?

I'm not so sure they do.

-I could see the Cs letting Ray walk.
-Engaging in a S&T with Bass to Memphis for OJ Mayo, who would play a sixth man role.
-Signing Jeff Green, but to more limited money than folks on Cblog have been suggesting ($4-5M/year for a couple year, with outs for the team).
-Using the mini-MLE on a serviceable center (this means someone like Randolph from Minny, or, if Ronnie Turiaf can play C, maybe Ray to Miami in a S&T for Turiaf)?

Anyway, Cs have options, it will be interesting to follow....
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
The front page said the luxury tax apron is $72, so ...
[Edit] My mistake, the apron is guaranteed to be at least $70,306,000, but could be higher

Kevin Garnett   $11,000,000
Paul Pierce   $16,790,345
Rajon Rondo   $11,000,000
Avery Bradley   $1,630,800
JaJuan Johnson   $1,089,240
Sully           $1,089,240
Melo           $1,045,600
Greg Stiemsma   $1,054,389
E'Twaun Moore   $762,195
           $45,461,809

Ray             6,000,000
Kristic           6,000,000
Jeff Green   6,000,000
Bass            6,000,000
Wilcox          2,000,000
Dooling     1,000,000
Pietrus    1,000,000
           $71,461,809

That is 16 guys though, even though I like him I would say try to move Bass with a S&T 

[Edit2]This obviously doesnt help get the roster number down if we get a guy back.  Plus, if we resign all those guys for comparable numbers we obviously are not getting any FAs.  I say get Ray and Green then fill out the roster with whatever we can.  I dont want Crawford or Mayo to take Rays place  :(

Not bad. Replace Kristic with Camby. Tp.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Here's one thing to consider:

Will the Cs bring back:
Ray Allen (or do a S&T)
Jeff Green (or do a S&T)
Brandon Bass (or do a S&T)
Krstic (or sign some other Center to the mini MLE)
?

Those are four players (or positions) which could potentially command a lot of money. Do the Cs want to commit the resources to it?

I'm not so sure they do.

-I could see the Cs letting Ray walk.
-Engaging in a S&T with Bass to Memphis for OJ Mayo, who would play a sixth man role.
-Signing Jeff Green, but to more limited money than folks on Cblog have been suggesting ($4-5M/year for a couple year, with outs for the team).
-Using the mini-MLE on a serviceable center (this means someone like Randolph from Minny, or, if Ronnie Turiaf can play C, maybe Ray to Miami in a S&T for Turiaf)?

Anyway, Cs have options, it will be interesting to follow....
S+T for Green is not an option we have even though we do have Bird rights according to Larry Coon, author of the CBA FAQ. See question from JB at the link below:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-62912